Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2020, 13:43   #1471
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
No, it puts the risk of you having died already into perspective. Many more who have been or will be infected have yet to die. On BBC News this morning they said 20K deaths in the UK is the minimum we can expect.

On average death occurs 14 days after onset of symptoms
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ath-rate/#days
I don't buy that, spiderplant. I appreciate that we are still learning about this virus, but did you see that the results of a recent epidemiological model developed by researchers at Oxford University suggested that half the population of the UK may already have been infected by the coronavirus? That being the case, we are fast approaching herd immunity and we may well reach the peak infection rate very soon.

When all is said and done, my guess is that the most significant factor about Covid 19 will be acknowledged to be the very fast infection rate, not the mortality rate (which is still a lot less than we can expect in a year with 'normal' flu). It is the high number of deaths within so few weeks that is causing exceptional demand on health services around the world that is significant.
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2020, 14:00   #1472
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm on a downer ATM. Luckily I can talk to mu sister

My mum is on a ward of 5 Coronavirus patients, and can't have any visitors for 14 days.

They are wating to do more tests, I'm guessing they are looking for antibodies.

I've had to self isolate and work want me to get a test, much to my annoyance. But I'm not going back until 14 days after I saw her as per government guidelines.

I feel like I have a cold, I have a mild sore throat that comes and goes, but it's not the swallowing brolen glass type.

Had someone drop round a few essential items.
Old 29-03-2020, 14:06   #1473
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't buy that, spiderplant. I appreciate that we are still learning about this virus, but did you see that the results of a recent epidemiological model developed by researchers at Oxford University suggested that half the population of the UK may already have been infected by the coronavirus? That being the case, we are fast approaching herd immunity and we may well reach the peak infection rate very soon.
A hypothesis not backed up by the fact 80% of those tested for Coronavirus test negative. We also have the number of deaths now that they forecast on April 6th. The problem is they are trying to apply mathematical models to something that has far too many unknown variables at this stage.

Quote:
When all is said and done, my guess is that the most significant factor about Covid 19 will be acknowledged to be the very fast infection rate, not the mortality rate (which is still a lot less than we can expect in a year with 'normal' flu). It is the high number of deaths within so few weeks that is causing exceptional demand on health services around the world that is significant.
This is demonstrably false already looking at evidence from Italy. With the Guardian reporting that half of those who reach the 'intensive care' stage dying that figure is only going to go up and up.

We will likely have our own figure in 4-6 weeks that will shatter the 'it's only a flu' theory.
Old 29-03-2020, 14:08   #1474
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The Department of Health and Social Care have just released the new daily updated figures.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status...48001868111874

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52081389

Quote:
As of 9am 29 March, a total of 127,737 have been tested:

108,215 negative.
19,522 positive.

As of 5pm on 28 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 1,228 have sadly died.
Old 29-03-2020, 15:36   #1475
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

An interesting Chinese study now how one passenger infected 13 people on a bus - including people who got on AFTER he left. Indicates too that the furthest away was 4.5 metres.
Old 29-03-2020, 15:37   #1476
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...d-to-covid-19/
Quote:
Prof Jonathan Ball, Professor of Molecular Virology, University of Nottingham, said:

“This is interesting work, but is hampered by the same issues that impacts on all epidemiological models – they rely on assumptions that at the moment are based on only a paucity of scientific fact about how thus virus transmits.

“The reliable way to answer the really important question about levels of exposure is to carry out serology-based studies – Detecting the presence of specific novel coronavirus antibodies in the wider population will give us the real answer.

“This is key data as it tells us about the rates or serious disease and death, and will also give an accurate idea of future waves of infection.”
Quote:
Dr Simon Gubbins, Group Leader – Transmission Biology, The Pirbright Institute, said:

Is this good quality research?

“Yes.

Does it show that over half the UK population has been infected with COVID-19?

“No. What it shows is there are scenarios consistent with the available data in which a high proportion of the population (68%) could have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 by 19 March. However, the estimates for proportion of the population infected depends on the assumptions made about proportion of the population at risk of severe disease, which is unknown. The high level of infection is predicted only if this proportion at risk is small (0.1%). If the proportion at risk is 1% (another scenario consistent with the data), the proportion infected by 19 March would be much lower (36-40%).

Are there any limitations or caveats to be aware of when reporting this work?

“The authors use the reported deaths from COVID-19 in the UK and Italy to back-calculate the number of people infected with SARS-CoV-2. This uses the fact the number of deaths is (approximately) proportional to the number of infected individuals at some earlier time (in this case around 17 days previously). Back calculation requires an estimate of the proportion of the population at risk of severe disease (and so death), but this cannot be estimated as part of the analysis, so it has to be assumed.

“The model treats the UK and Italy as a single well-mixed populations. This means the model will overestimate the rate of spread and, hence, the proportion of the population infected.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 29-03-2020, 17:14   #1477
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That is just one model though, The imperial college model disagrees.
Old 29-03-2020, 17:43   #1478
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Link

Quote:
It could be up to six months before life in the UK returns to "normal", England's deputy chief medical officer has said.
Speaking at the government's daily coronavirus briefing, Dr Jenny Harries added: "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."
And the flaw in that plan is....

Quote:
But, she added, "We have to be really, really responsible and keep doing what we're all doing."
Old 29-03-2020, 18:01   #1479
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

i can imagine civil unrest if they have a lockdown for 6 months.
Old 29-03-2020, 18:05   #1480
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
It seems the lockdown period was initially 3 weeks but in the space of less then a week its possible scope has been widened to a possible 6 months or even more.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200324...rtual-lockdown

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-june-11965226
Old 29-03-2020, 18:10   #1481
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It seems the lockdown period was initially 3 weeks but in the space of less then a week its possible scope has been widened to a possible 6 months or even more.

The Government seem to be breaking the bad news and imposing restrictions in movement by stealth, possibly to avoid the civil unrest that deadite66 mentioned.
Old 29-03-2020, 18:12   #1482
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Quote:
"This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."
Old 29-03-2020, 18:13   #1483
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That’s not what was said.
Old 29-03-2020, 18:14   #1484
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

tbf, they said it would be reviewed after 3 weeks, not that it would last 3 weeks.

And if we go beyond the headlines, today she actually said
Quote:
Speaking at the government's daily coronavirus briefing, Dr Jenny Harries added: "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."

But, she added, "We have to be really, really responsible and keep doing what we're all doing."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 29-03-2020, 18:18   #1485
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Already happening in italy after 4 weeks lockdown

https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/29/othe...24_787653.html