Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 06-12-2019, 14:39   #2521
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Civil servants are now ashamed to work for the DWP:

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...versal-credit/

Like I said earlier, many of the problems are being caused because experienced staff (some who have been with the department since the days of Supplementary Benefit) are leaving in droves, leaving inexperienced staff behind.

Many of my former colleagues are now simply holding on until they can retire or take redundancy. It's such a shame that the safety net of this country has been reduced to this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2019, 14:42   #2522
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well I had my ESA assessment last Saturday.

I was dreading it due to all the things I've heard.

However I got lucky I think as the medical person that saw me, understood my conditions and didn't put me through the full exam and I just got the result.

They have decided I am not fit for work or work related assessment. So I no longer need to send fit notes or go see the job centre.
Old 06-12-2019, 14:52   #2523
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

However I got lucky I think as the medical person that saw me, understood my conditions and didn't put me through the full exam and I just got the result.

They have decided I am not fit for work or work related assessment. So I no longer need to send fit notes or go see the job centre.
Great news Stephen.
Old 08-12-2019, 16:38   #2524
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

DWP to be taken to court yet again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...eporting-story

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Great news

If you would have had to appeal, you could well have been left in the same position as the gentleman that's taking them to court outlined above.
Old 08-12-2019, 17:23   #2525
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
DWP to be taken to court yet again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...eporting-story

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Great news

If you would have had to appeal, you could well have been left in the same position as the gentleman that's taking them to court outlined above.
That sounds a one-off type of example of an excessive delay to a mandatory reconsideration. Whatever government and rules are in place, that will always happen.

Nothing there that indicates he was ever eligible in the first place.
Quote:
Mr Connor, 55, was rejected for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) in October 2018 while caring for his mother.
The High Court has allowed Mr Connor, who completed a Legal Practice Course at Staffordshire University last year, to bring his case before the court, saying the delay he experienced is a "point of some wider public importance".
Quote:
If Mr Connor is successful, benefits claimants will be able to appeal against adverse decisions immediately.
Seeing as anybody who still gets a "no" on the MR, will likely appeal, that might seem a sensible option. You still have to get notes from your GP anyway, and the appeal stage is meant to trigger a DWP reconsideration each time you send in more info. The people that might lose out are the ones that win on a MR. Having to appeal would delay the outcome of that win.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 17:38   #2526
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

If you don't provide enough evidence (form filling isn't evidence), then expect things to not go as expected.

I really do fear the DWP, but (touch wood) I've never had a problem yet. I do make sure I go way over the top when supplying evidence (just ask for copies of everything sent by GP or consultants) and never fill in the forms without getting advice. The forms are designed to make you fail so totally ignore all their own examples etc.
Old 08-12-2019, 17:41   #2527
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
If you don't provide enough evidence (form filling isn't evidence), then expect things to not go as expected.

I really do fear the DWP, but (touch wood) I've never had a problem yet. I do make sure I go way over the top when supplying evidence (just ask for copies of everything sent by GP or consultants) and never fill in the forms without getting advice. The forms are designed to make you fail so totally ignore all their own examples etc.
The many problems I've had with the DWP aren't to do with not supplying the required info, it's that they don't bother to read it in the first place.
Old 08-12-2019, 17:44   #2528
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The many problems I've had with the DWP aren't to do with not supplying the required info, it's that they don't bother to read it in the first place.
Well when you send in so much evidence / paperwork, if they ignore it all then they are the ones that will look stupid when it comes to the reconsideration / appeal.

My last ESA, I asked for a home visit assessment. They did ignore it, so got a letter from the GP and sent that to them, they didn't bother with the assessment. Crazy situation.
Old 08-12-2019, 17:51   #2529
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well when you send in so much evidence / paperwork, if they ignore it all then they are the ones that will look stupid when it comes to the reconsideration / appeal.

My last ESA, I asked for a home visit assessment. They did ignore it, so got a letter from the GP and sent that to them, they didn't bother with the assessment. Crazy situation.
There's a section on the form(ESA113) that GPs fill in to say whether you are able to get to an examination centre by public transport or taxi.
Old 08-12-2019, 17:59   #2530
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
There's a section on the form(ESA113) that GPs fill in to say whether you are able to get to an examination centre by public transport or taxi.
I have no idea what was on that form. And depends if you get the right GP. Probably could have been a bit odd if one GP said I could then I get a letter saying I couldn't.
Old 08-12-2019, 18:10   #2531
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I have no idea what was on that form. And depends if you get the right GP. Probably could have been a bit odd if one GP said I could then I get a letter saying I couldn't.
When you get to the appeal(not the reconsideration) stage, you get a copy of all the documents used. The GP might not be aware of problems with the location of your home and that of the examination centre.
Old 08-12-2019, 18:13   #2532
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
When you get to the appeal(not the reconsideration) stage, you get a copy of all the documents used. The GP might not be aware of problems with the location of your home and that of the examination centre.
Then I would have to say they didn't bother reading the information. My GPs are more than aware of my problems. So I'd have to say the DWP are the useless ones.
Old 09-12-2019, 00:08   #2533
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well I know in my case, although I provided a lot of evidence including all notes from my renal consultant. They still contacted my go to get more info. I got lucky I'm sure.
Old 17-12-2019, 16:50   #2534
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Standards certainly need to improve:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...Pgj7kegaKeLEoQ
Old 17-12-2019, 17:32   #2535
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Standards certainly need to improve:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...Pgj7kegaKeLEoQ
Quote:
They were inserted into a passage which implied that because she was a full-time carer, her claims of restricted mobility must be contrived.
You got to admit that is more than a bit suspicious. IE Claiming difficulties with caring for yourself, but also claim to have no difficulties caring for somebody else.

There is a well known case relating to DLA, ie known as Moyna. It went to the House of Lords(now the Supreme Court). A Woman claimed she had difficultly preparing a main meal for one, which was the test. On the other hand she admitted that she prepared meals for the whole family. She lost, but in the ruling, the Law Lords set out the principles upon which decisions on that area were meant to be made.

Last edited by nomadking; 17-12-2019 at 17:56.