Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing lan address of new router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Changing lan address of new router?

Old 25-05-2020, 12:04   #1
wigwam12
cf.member

wigwam12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Changing lan address of new router?

Hi
I’m imminently going to switch my virgin media SHUB from router to modem mode
I’ve just purchased an Asus RT-AC87u (not new)
Couple quick questions please:
1) I’m going to upgrade the firmware . Better to use official Asus one or Merlin one?

Most importantly:
2) I understand the Asus assigns Lan addresses on range 192.168.1.x
Currently everything is on 192.168.0.x
Rather than having to reconfigure each device on my network, can I just change the LAN on the Asus settings and are there any issues with doing this?

I was planning to set up the Asus before I switch SHUB to modem mode (ie before o connect Asus to SHUB)

Thanks
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2020, 18:22   #2
wigwam12
cf.member

Re: Changing lan address of new router?

No worries team
It’s worked a charm - switched to modem mode and all LAN addresses are preserved
Old 27-05-2020, 11:02   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
1) I’m going to upgrade the firmware . Better to use official Asus one or Merlin one?
doesn't matter per se. The Merlin firmware does everything the Asus does plus more but if you don't know what the difference is then just stick with the Asus firmware and let it update itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
2) I understand the Asus assigns Lan addresses on range 192.168.1.x
Currently everything is on 192.168.0.x
Rather than having to reconfigure each device on my network, can I just change the LAN on the Asus settings and are there any issues with doing this?
the whole point of routers and dhcp is that it does all of that for you. If you swapped over the routers while devices like your pc were on and a new addressing scheme was implemented then those devices would need a quick reboot (or the network adapters resetting) to get the new ip address. Going forward the shub isn't going to have anything to do with your network and the Asus is going to handle everything. The interface is quite self intuitive so have a good look around and see what everything does. Imho one of the key features which you should look at immediately is the DNS server under the WAN tab. They'll be empty by default which means the DNS address handed out to all your clients will be the isp address and in this case VM's which isn't good. If you change them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's) all clients on your network will try and use those first and then only use VM's (tertiary address) if google fails, which is never going to happen. If you had a custom wireless network on the shub (non-standard VM ssid and password) you can use the same SSID and password on your 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on your Asus and the wireless clients will automatically connect as if nothing has changed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 11:18   #4
wigwam12
cf.member

Thanks General
I flashed to the Merlin one
I did turn nearly all the kit when I swapped over and made all my changes including the LAN address change in the router from 192.168.1.x to 0.x and adding reserved addresses for some kit (home server and CCTv mainly and pc just because ) and nearly everything as been fine
I kept the same (previous) SSIDs for WiFi and again quick disconnect and reconnect and they all fine too

The only issues I’ve uncovered last night is my TV is no longer seeing the media shared files from my home server and I can’t work our why

Next stage is tomorrow when virgin media business goes it and I have to assign a static IP to the routers but hopefully all the internal setting are sorted
Old 28-05-2020, 10:50   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Have a look at the network settings on the tv and make sure it has picked up the new ip address, subnet and default gateway (i.e. it is on the new network).
Old 28-05-2020, 16:24   #6
wigwam12
cf.member

It didn’t. And it is greyed out so I can’t even change it so I’ve given up doing that
Enabling multicast routing IGMP Proxy suddenly made the folders discoverable
No idea what it does
But I don’t know if I should also enable the setting under it “enable efficient multicast forwarding - IGMP snooping
Sounds like I should...
Old 29-05-2020, 10:07   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

https://routerguide.net/enable-igmp-snooping-on-or-off/