Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

Old 23-05-2020, 15:27   #1
wigwam12
cf.member

wigwam12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

Hi
Would appreciate some help and confirmation please.
Currently on VM Residential with SHUB3
Imminently switching to VMB 350/20 with 5 static IPs
This being done as I need to connect 2 separate routers for 2 different work purposes (and normal home use). It will be an Asus RT ac87u and a Cisco with vpn
So:
1) setting up with the HItron I get a block of 5 IPs. First IP goes to Hitron and I assign 1 each go the other 2 devices (I’m assuming I don’t need to do anything with the other 2 addresses?)
2) gateway for each will be IP of HItron?
3) what do I need to enter for subnet please?

The Cisco will come preconfigured from the company with the gateway/subnet details I provide but for the Asus:
4) this is the one that handles DHCP as usual for my home kit right?
5) can I set “fixed” lan IPs from the Asus as I’m currently doing from the SHUB3? (This is to access things like app for my cctv of home server etc)?
6) for the CCTV (say) I need to enter the IP address (currently the dynamic IP of the residential service) . Do I enter the static IP of the Asus here?
7) finally (!) for now :-) between now and next week when the Hitron arrives, as my Asus has arrived I was thinking of putting the SHUB3 into modem mode and setting up the dhcp etc on the Asus. Obviously I’ll need to change the gateway and subnet settings but will all the other things (setting up lan IPs for my kit) stay as is when I swap out to the Hitron?

Many thanks !
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2020, 16:36   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

This should work well.

You are right - the Hitron will have the first IP address of the block you are assigned. You then assign the others as needed on your devices sitting behind the Hitron.

All of your devices will need the WAN grateway set to be the IP address of the Hitron

Given you have the 5 address allocation the subnet mask of the devices behind the hitron will be 255.255.255.248

Given you will be using routers you said - of course their LAN interfaces can have whatever subnet mask you need for the networks they are connected to on the LAN side.

Yes your Asus can handle DHCP for your network.
I am not familiar with the Asus, if it supports multiple IP addresses on it's WAN interface that you can map to 'internal' device you can assign more than one of your static IP addresses to the Asus. I do this now but am using a Draytek 2960. Darytek call this config multi-nat. Not all domestic routers support it.

However if you don't have multi nat support - you can still do port forwarding as you must be doing now with your residential setup.

Yes putting your SHUB3 in modem mode is as close as you can get to the Hitron with fixed IP setup.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 21:40   #3
wigwam12
cf.member

Fantastic!
Thank you so much for this really comprehensive and informative reply
I really appreciate it
Old 25-05-2020, 18:24   #4
wigwam12
cf.member

First phase is complete.
Put it into modem mode and have set up all the settings on the Asus.
Now just await the Hitron and next phase later in the week :-)
Old 26-05-2020, 00:22   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

You can configure the Asus router for whatever subnet you want so it confirms with the cctv or any other devices addressing requirements. You can also use a dhcp reservation list so static ip's are assigned to the same known devices on the subnet. You can do all of that now as well as set your dns servers etc. The only thing which will change is when you get your hitron the default gateway address will change but the Asus should hand that out to all devices by dhcp anyway.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 02:23   #6
wigwam12
cf.member

Thank you General.
I haven’t actually checked what Subnet it’s addressing but as you say I’ve done everything else including setting the static IPs to the devices that need it (the temptation was to go nuts and just set one for everything!) and the UDP and changed the addressing from Asus default 192.168.1.x to the one all were on previously 192.168.0.x

Additional benefit is that the WiFi from the Asus is far superior and I don’t actually really need the 2 access points I’ve got scattered around the house
Old 26-05-2020, 09:58   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
the temptation was to go nuts and just set one for everything!)
why not, I did
Old 26-05-2020, 10:49   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Not sure if there's an incorrect use in terminology here, but there's a distinct difference between "setting a static IP for everything" and "Putting everything on a DHCP reservation list". Note that I'm talking about your home network/LAN, not ISP configuration settings.

Static IPs (Again: Home LAN) are assigned on the device themselves, DHCP reservations are assigned by the router.

If the former, be sure you know what you're doing because if you statically allocate two devices the same IP, you'll have a bad day. If your DHCP server allocates an IP you've statically assigned, you'll have a bad day.

When it comes to your home LAN, there's generally zero need to use static IP addresses, stick to DHCP.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:58   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

my bad, I was trying to keep things simples. Defo go down the route of the dhcp reservation list. Somebody tried using a mix of static ip's (which you can also do) and dhcp reservation last year and it screwed things up big time. I can't remember whether the static ip's couldn't see the other devices on the lan or whether they didn't have internet access but it messed things up big time. Once the static ip's were removed and everything was on a dhcp reservation list everything worked fab.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:04   #10
wigwam12
cf.member

Good points
So this thread has discussed both
There will be a bunch of static IPs assigned by the ISP of which 1 will be assigned to This router/network and another to another router behind the Hitron for a “work” network
On this router I was then describing DHCP reservations on the router for home devices on the network
Apologies for the confusing terminology I used
Old 27-05-2020, 13:17   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

it's my fault, I know what the difference is and should have clarified it for everyone else reading.
Old 27-05-2020, 14:27   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not sure if there's an incorrect use in terminology here, but there's a distinct difference between "setting a static IP for everything" and "Putting everything on a DHCP reservation list". Note that I'm talking about your home network/LAN, not ISP configuration settings.

Static IPs (Again: Home LAN) are assigned on the device themselves, DHCP reservations are assigned by the router.

If the former, be sure you know what you're doing because if you statically allocate two devices the same IP, you'll have a bad day. If your DHCP server allocates an IP you've statically assigned, you'll have a bad day.

When it comes to your home LAN, there's generally zero need to use static IP addresses, stick to DHCP.
At home I have several devices that, for various reason, I need for the IP not to change. I find setting the IP statically is OK, at a pinch, but it should not be used as a permanent solution. If you need the IP not to change, I would recommend setting up DHCP reservations on the router. These have several advantages. If you've set an IP statically, you need to ensure the router will not attempt to use the same IP for something else. You also need to ensure you keep a record of the IP and what device it's assigned to because once you have more than a few devices, it's hard to remember what IPs are available and what are assigned.

DHCP reservations have none of those problems, because the router already has a list of what is assigned to what, and will not attempt to re-use any of the IPs. Also, if you need to change one or more of the IPs assigned, it's a lot easier to do it on the router. Next time the device requests an IP, it'll get the changed IP.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 16:29   #13
wigwam12
cf.member

Just to feed back
Install was today and it was pretty painless

IP range was 16-23; usable IP range is 18-22
So I put 19 as the IP in the Asus assuming 18 would be reserved by the Hitron
But I see Gateway is 17 (and also the Hitron IP)
My OCD is twitching at lack of use of 18

The Asus supports dual WAN - any benefit in adding another IP to this (the 18 for example :-) )
I will ask the company to use 22 for their router
Old 28-05-2020, 16:45   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No real benefit to adding another IP to the Asus that I can think of. Dual WAN is more for backup/load balancing purposes but having things on two IPs can cause issues if you're not careful.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 16:51   #15
wigwam12
cf.member

Thanks
I’ll leave it be