Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recomendations on a new router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recomendations on a new router

Old 01-02-2005, 21:07   #1
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them
Recomendations on a new router

My Linksys BEFSR41 has become unreliable (yes I've hard reset it for 30secs, but it still keeps going down - looks like a memory fault) so I'm going to get a replacement.

Any thoughts on which is the best 4 port router currently.

Thanks
Alan
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2005, 21:12   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recomendations on a new router

I got a Linksys WRT54G after my old BEFSR41 finally died. Very good router. 4 ports, like the BEFSR41, but also has a built-in wireless G access point
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 21:44   #3
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

also have a Linksys WRT54G had it for just over 2 years and in that time only played up the once and that was solved my updateing the software. very easy to setup
iain_herts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 21:49   #4
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Recommendations on a new router

Thanks for the recommendations. I might get another Linksys, since my current ones been Ok up to now and is an old favourite, but wondered whether whether a netgear router might be worth a look also.

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-02-2005, 22:31   #5
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one

I've had a Netgear RP614 Router for several months now and I've got no complaints with it. Most routers have the same functions so whether it's a netgear, linksys or belkin you opt for I can't see there being a great deal of difference. The choice would probably be down to money and personal preference of manufacturer.
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 23:17   #6
gary_580

Ive got a WRT54GS and have never got the wireless to work very reliably. Hard wired its great but wireless its a nightmare and well documented on the net
Old 01-02-2005, 23:19   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

My Linksys router is also playing up keeps dropping the connection at random. Very annoying.
Old 01-02-2005, 23:21   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I've got the WRT54GS, as per my signature, and (apart from a few teething problems - which were solved by changing the wireless channel) I haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, sorry Gary but I always seem to end up posting this recommendation immediately after you post about your problems with this router. Sorry mate, I'm not stalking you - honestly
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 23:25   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

My linksys wrt54gs has been fine for the couple of months that I had it (as was the befsr41 I used before that)
Old 01-02-2005, 23:29   #10
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Thanks chaps for the comments. New router tomorrow
Old 01-02-2005, 23:54   #11
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

so what did you decide on?

After a linksys wireless last year I find my belkin much more reliable.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 22:39   #12
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
so what did you decide on?

After a linksys wireless last year I find my belkin much more reliable.
There didn't appear to be any strong recommendations so i bought another linksys BEFSR41. The wireless routers were tempting, but since the house is wired (about a year before the wireless routers appeared D'oh!) it wasn't really justified.

The BEFSR41 ver. 3 doesn't have as many LEDs as my old router. I guess cisco (ex linksys) are building it down to a price. Perhaps the lack of a red DIAG lamp means that it never goes wrong & doesn't need one.

However there are more config options, even though my old router had the latest firmware. The BEFSR41 ver.3 probably has a bigger flash memory. There are some interesting options for use with a dynamic DNS service for instance.

The firmware has of course been flashed to the latest & the admin password changed. My router. keep out

Anyway, the main thing is that it appears to have solved my problem, although I'll wait for a couple of days before uncrossing my fingers.

Alan
Old 02-02-2005, 22:59   #13
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
I've got the WRT54GS, as per my signature, and (apart from a few teething problems - which were solved by changing the wireless channel) I haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, sorry Gary but I always seem to end up posting this recommendation immediately after you post about your problems with this router. Sorry mate, I'm not stalking you - honestly
I thought i'd developed a nervous twitch, but now i realise im just looking over my shoulder all of the time!