Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ADSL modem router - 8 port reccomendations sought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ADSL modem router - 8 port reccomendations sought?

Old 13-12-2004, 16:30   #1
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
ADSL modem router - 8 port reccomendations sought?

Hello, I am soon to try again for ADSL, I will need an
ADSL modem & router to cope with 4 Xboxes & 2 PC's in all (although not always at the same time.

Now I already have a Linksys BFSR41 wired router available (althogh I'd prefer to have just the 1 unit).

I do not want to go wireless due to the cost & am quite prepared to cable the house up.

What would you suggest?

Those on the Xbox Live compatability list are very few.

Would it be just a case of getting say a AG41 & then plugging my BFSR41 router into a port of that giving me in total 7 ports?

Has anyone else got one of these working OK with Xbox Live?

Cheers,
Zoombini
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2004, 16:34   #2
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: ADSL modem router - 8 port reccomendations sought?

Can you not just use a 4 port router and a cheap 8 port hub?
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 16:43   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
Can you not just use a 4 port router and a cheap 8 port hub?
Bifta - and this is probably a whole other thread but - your avaitar, well, its so wrong.... (i will says no more )
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 19:14   #4
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

You could use a combination of your BFSR41 and a 4 port ADSL router, but not quite as you suggest.
You would need to configure the BFSR41 to not be a DHCP server, just act as a switch. Then wire one of the LAN ports to the ADSL router, giving a total of 6 (3 + 3) free LAN ports.

HTH
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 20:01   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueraja
Bifta - and this is probably a whole other thread but - your avaitar, well, its so wrong.... (i will says no more )

quite correct it is totally off topic and the subject i suspect of a pm to the honourable mr bifta

right , back on topic , i reckon bifta's suggestion is a good un
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 08:30   #6
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

I have a 4 port router, I also have a hub...

However, I don't have the ADSL modem.

And I don't really want to use 3 bits of kit to do the job that 1 will do.

Anyway...

To totally go back on what I said, after discussing it with the wife & telling her of the wireless option albiet costing more.. she prefers that (no lifting floorboards).

So to change it around, I now want a ADSL wireless modem/router thingy.
I have seen them with a 4 port switch inside, how many other wireless units can access the network via these?
Are they restricted to 4 or are there 4 hardwire ports & you can get more on via wireless?

Where to get the Xbox bits?
Old 14-12-2004, 09:37   #7
zoombini
Inactive

Looking at Caspars wirless FAQ does not also include the modem.

Looking at Dabs, I see aWAG54G which seems to cover that & it also answers my question about plugging wired units into it, so that means I do not need a PC interface.

To maintain compatability (& because I like Linksys) I seem to need 4 off WET11.
Is there a cheaper option for the WET11? as £56 each seems costly.

Can I use the WAG11 just the same?
Old 14-12-2004, 09:54   #8
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Looking at Caspars wirless FAQ does not also include the modem.

Looking at Dabs, I see aWAG54G which seems to cover that & it also answers my question about plugging wired units into it, so that means I do not need a PC interface.

To maintain compatability (& because I like Linksys) I seem to need 4 off WET11.
Is there a cheaper option for the WET11? as £56 each seems costly.

Can I use the WAG11 just the same?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...472425-0114027

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...472425-0114027
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 10:07   #9
zoombini
Inactive

Seems the WAG54G is not the one to got for link

perhaps another make ADSLmodem/router/access point anyone?
Old 14-12-2004, 10:17   #10
zoombini
Inactive

Thanks for that Neil, they look OK.
However I want to ensure complete Xbox compatability before I spent another penny.

I'll look for a Belkin support site/forums.
Old 14-12-2004, 10:46   #11
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Seems the WAG54G is not the one to got for link

perhaps another make ADSLmodem/router/access point anyone?
I have to say that I use the WRT54G (cable version of the same device) with a couple of wireless laptops and a wireless print/fax/scan device, with WEP configured, and it has run faultlessly since install.

IMO the linksys wireless kit is some of the most stable about - I have had far less problems with it than I had with my netgear setup.

To be fair, belkin seems to have sorted their stufff out as well, a year ago I would have said steer clear of belkin at all costs, but they seem to have got stability and reliability at last.
I would personally avoid Belkin on the grounds of past experience, but technically, I get the impression they are now fairly good bits of kit.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 10:48   #12
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks for that Neil, they look OK.
However I want to ensure complete Xbox compatability before I spent another penny.

I'll look for a Belkin support site/forums.
I can assure you 100% that they work.
Old 14-12-2004, 10:58   #13
zoombini
Inactive

Thanks, looking at them they seem to have everything, all the bells & whistles (maybe not the flashing leds).

Amazon do not seem to be in stock of the F5D7630uk4A
& the F5D7330uk units though.
However, DABS do.
This will make the entire network cost £281.99 ...eeek
I'll see what she who holds the purse strings says now.
Old 14-12-2004, 11:25   #14
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks, looking at them they seem to have everything, all the bells & whistles (maybe not the flashing leds).

Amazon do not seem to be in stock of the F5D7630uk4A
& the F5D7330uk units though.
However, DABS do.
This will make the entire network cost £281.99 ...eeek
I'll see what she who holds the purse strings says now.
Simply have the modem/router in stock for £65.99 inc VAT: http://www.simply.co.uk/productinfor...UTER/index.htm.

And the bridge for £43.99: http://www.simply.co.uk/productinfor...IDGE/index.htm

Total=£ 109.98 delivered.

HTH.
Old 14-12-2004, 11:48   #15
TigaSefi
Inactive

TigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to TigaSefi

Blimey, I was nearly gonna get that Wireless Router by Linksys but I shan't bother. I'll wait a lil longer for some new Wireless-G routers to come along.
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote