Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 14-01-2005, 19:21   #76
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
Both machines are running XP i do not have to log in I do not have this set up.
Ok, that sounds like the cause of the problem then. You should really have User Accounts with passwords set up on both machines.

Quote:
I do have a firewall I have zonealarm on both.
Ok, this may present a problem later but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote:
I have not read the details you posted sorry.

I am dyslexic and reading to much info really does fry my brain.
Apologies, I had not considered that possibility when I posted those links. I will try to pull out the relevant information and post that for you in future responses.

Quote:
I do need someone to tell me how to try and ping one machine from the other.
John's post above gives very good instructions for doing this (reminder to self, must RP John ).

See how you get on with the PING, would strongly recommend that you set up Passwords for the accounts on both machine as this will be hindering progress on getting this solved.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2005, 19:25   #77
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done ping computer name

Which results should i post it says

3 x Reply from 192.168.@.@@@ bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.@.@@@

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds: Minium = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Is this what you wanted to know?
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 19:33   #78
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I have to go out now for a while but I'll check back here when I get in later. I'm sure John will be along in a while to interpret those PING results for you and advise you whether they are normal or not.

Networking really isn't my particular area of expertise (I'm learning fast though).

Have a good evening.
Old 14-01-2005, 19:36   #79
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

That shows the PCs can at least talk to each other. (Just one point - sorry to be pedantic, but I'm not sure my previous post made it clear - 'computer name' should be the name of the OTHER computer. I'm sure you realised this, but just in case...)
[Edit] ..and it's worth trying Raistin's suggestion - I think you at least need identical user names on each machine, If they have password, these need to be identical.
Old 14-01-2005, 20:55   #80
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

yes I did realise that it was the other computers name i have to put.

When you say password and username do you mean windows password and username.

I had a network working before i had my router and i could print and share files.
Old 14-01-2005, 21:39   #81
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Whoah, the router does the job Zone Alarm used to do. Switch off or remove Zone alarm from both PC's

Also have you shared any material on each of the PC's.

Right Click on a folder on the PC eg My Docs and share it. Then there will be something shared in File sharing.

Once File sharing works we are on the home straight and printers will be easy.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 21:43   #82
lisauk
Inactive

mydocuments is shared and the printer on the desktop from when i use to use the network before the router.

People on here have told me to use zonealarm as an extra measure
Old 14-01-2005, 21:51   #83
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

If your PCs are behind a router (which they are now) then zone alarm is an extra measure, but may not be helping in this case.
If for the moment you can shut it down on these machines we can see if that is part of the problem. Zone Alarm may effectivly be blocking the file sharing.
There is another thread on here at the moment about firewalls. You will see from reading it that you will not be less secure with za off
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 22:00   #84
lisauk
Inactive

With out going upstairs and disabling ZA i have looked in the alter logs for the laptop.

It does have lots of alerts for what i think it the ip of the desktop as it only have 1 number different from the laptop.

It says

Rating: Medium
Type: Firewall
Protocol: TCP (flags:S)
Source IP: 192.168.@.@@1
Destination Ip: 192.168.@.@@0
Direction: Outgoing
Action: Blocked
Source DNS: Laptop
Old 14-01-2005, 22:09   #85
lisauk
Inactive

AT LAST.

thank you for all your help.

I added the IP's to the trust sites on each machine in ZA and now it works.

Cheers Lisa
Old 14-01-2005, 22:29   #86
Raistlin
Inactive

-*-*- CONGRATULATIONS -*-*-

I'm really glad that this is finally sorted for you, hopefully things will run smoothly now for a while - I'm sure it will all be worth the effort

Take care,

Raist.
Old 05-02-2005, 00:19   #87
lisauk
Inactive

Just when i thought it was going so well i all falls over.

Firstly for some strange reason i decided to search for command.com on my laptop it was found so i doubled clicked from then on i had no more internet connection from my router...

Could this have caused my problem?

Now sometimes on my laptop i get the limited or no connection ! on the wireless network or i just dont get anything.

can anyone help please.

Lisa
Old 05-02-2005, 00:46   #88
Raistlin
Inactive

Hi Lisa,

I have to confess that my heart fell a little when I saw this thread had been resurrected.....

Never mind, let's see if we can get this sorted for you.

What steps have you tried so far?

I would suggest (if you haven't already) that a complete reboot of the Modem, Router, and both machines, is in order.

Turn everything off, leave a minute or so, and then turn back on in this order (waiting between each device until it has settled):

Modem
Router
Desktop
Laptop

Post back and let us know how you get on with that and also what else you have tried.

Also, why were you searching for command.com and what were you expecting to happen when you ran it?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:07   #89
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Running command.com shouldn't have any effect on your Internet connection normally. The only thing I can think of is a virus (either that, or it was just a timing coincidence). Can you find the file again, and post

a) where it was found (e.g. c:\Windows)
b) its size and timestamp

If you tell us which Service Pack you are running on XP, someone should be able to tell you whether the file looks 'pukka'. Also, did double-clicking it open a 'DOS' window (it should have done)? Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus setup?