Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 13-01-2005, 22:23   #61
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Some good info here:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2005, 22:26   #62
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

And there is some stuff on File Sharing here:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1427|
Old 13-01-2005, 22:28   #63
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been trying to get into my linksys router setup but for the life of me I can't remember my username or password is there anything i can do to find this out?

Yes my internet connection are both working and very stable.

Lisa
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 22:33   #64
Raistlin
Inactive

Ummmm..........If it's the same as my router then the user name is blank and the password is whatever you set it to when you changed it. Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. If you've forgotten it I think you may need to do a complete reset.

What's the model number? I'll see what I can find out for you.
Old 13-01-2005, 22:36   #65
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

Yes it is the same as yours a WRT54G.

I can't remember the password, how do i do a reset..

Old 13-01-2005, 22:37   #66
Raistlin
Inactive

Hang on a mo.....
Old 13-01-2005, 22:41   #67
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok:

Instructions HERE and HERE they look like the same instructions but note the point in the second one about the LED lights.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:19   #68
lisauk
Inactive

Thank you I will have a go this evening and post back, are they any settings in for the router to do with printing?
Old 14-01-2005, 13:41   #69
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
Thank you I will have a go this evening and post back, are they any settings in for the router to do with printing?
No printing settings are entirely down to windoze. If you need to reset the router you will need to reinput the SSID / WEP key etc for your laptop to reconnect. The password for mine is now stuck to the router so i don't forget it.

I'm sure it has been asked so far but in Windows do you have file and printer shareing turned on on the PCs.

Do all the PCs belong to the same workgroup e.g. LISAUK

Does Each PC have a unique name LISA_DESK, LISA_LAPTOP etc.

Can you file share between these PCs, can you see them in the network neighbourhood on My Computer.

If not and they belong to the same workgroup, have you tried searching for them in My Computer (search for Or is it Find) and choose computer not file or folder.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 18:48   #70
lisauk
Inactive

I have restet my router and both LAPTOP & DESKTOP have stable internet connections.

Both machines have file and printer sharing turrned on.

Both machine belong to the same workgroup and have unique names.

I can not seem to share files between the two machines.

There is no netowrk neighbourhood on windows XP is there?

If i go to My Network Places, Microsoft Windows Network my Workgroup is displayed but it will not let me access it.

I have just search for the unique name I gave the DESKTOP on the network and it found nothing.
Old 14-01-2005, 19:03   #71
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, assuming that both machines are on XP..........

Do you have to put in a user name and password when you log into both machines?

My memory is a bit hazy but I know that I read somewhere that XP (and the other OS's that work along the sime lines) will only allow you to access a networked machine if you are logged in with a valid username and password.

You only mention the problems with files above, did you get the printers working?

Do you have a firewall running on either machine?

Can you PING one machine from the other? (One of the more network minded bods should be able to tell you how to do that)
Old 14-01-2005, 19:04   #72
Raistlin
Inactive

I take it that you read the material on File Sharing in the link that I posted above?
Old 14-01-2005, 19:14   #73
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

1) On a workgroup, as Raistlin says, you have to have the same username and password on each machine.
2) To ping, open up a command prompt (Start/Program/Accessories) and type

ping <ip address>

where <ip address> is the ip address of the other machine - it will be something like

so

ping 192.168.2.25

If you don't know what the ip addess of the other machine is, open a command prompt on the OTHER machine, and type

ipconfig /all

If pinging by IP address is OK, type

ping -a <ip address>

This should display the NAME of the other machine.

If this works, type

ping <machine name>

e.g.

ping LISALAPTOP

post the results of these tests.
Old 14-01-2005, 19:14   #74
lisauk
Inactive

Both machines are running XP i do not have to log in I do not have this set up.

I still do not have the printers working because I can not see the other machine from the one i use.

I do have a firewall I have zonealarm on both.

I have not read the details you posted sorry.

I am dyslexic and reading to much info really does fry my brain.

I do need someone to tell me how to try and ping one machine from the other.

Cheers Lisa
Old 14-01-2005, 19:18   #75
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

See above!