Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 16-12-2004, 01:14   #46
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Lisa,

Not sure how to change the frequencies on your equipment without taking a look at it.

You may find that there is some software that was installed with the dongle on the PC and that there will be an option in there that will allow you to change the frequencies. To change them on mine I need to go into the router control panel, make the change, and then reboot. The adaptor on the laptop seems to sort itsef out from there.

I'm (fairly) confident that once you get your router installed (and probably after a bit of tweaking) you should be able to get and keep a stable connection. I've had one or two teething problems with mine but now everything seems to be working absolutely perfectly.

Unfortnately everything that I have read (and your recent experiences) seems to suggest that wireless networking between 2 PCs without a router can be extremely hit and miss (to say the very least).

I've just re-read a couple of your earlier posts, it looks like we have the same wireless adaptor in our Laptops.
Will you do me a favour and check a couple of settings on your laptop for me?

Go to:
Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right click on your wireless adaptor and select "properties"
Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click on the "Properties" button
Check that "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" are both selected

Now, click OK.
Now click Close.

Go to the PC and select:
Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right click on the wireless dongle icon and select "Properties"
Carry out the same checks that I've listed above.

I'm gonna have a read around and see if I can find out a bit more about wireless networks between two PCs (without a router). I'll see if I can find anything that may help to get this sorted.

As a further experiment you may want to try unplugging the Cordless phone and then rebooting the Cable Modem, PC and then Laptop - in that order (leaving a good gap between each). That should help us to determine if there is an interference problem with the phone).

Ok, I'll leave it at that for now, let me know how you get on and I'll speak to you soon.

G'night,

Raist.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2004, 14:28   #47
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point

At long last, finally Christmas is here and I have installed my wireless router with no problems what so ever.

I have followed the installation instruction but I have changed the wireless security to WEP and entered a WEP key. Is there anything else I should do?

I can now turn my laptop on and off and still i have a connection.

Cheers to everyone who has been helping in the thread, Merry Christmas and A Very Happy New Year.
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 10:14   #48
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

Hi All,

Is there something I need to do in order to be able to print to the printer on the desk top?

I have not set up the new network on the desktop that I am now using between the laptop and router is this what I need to do?

Cheers Lisa
Old 29-12-2004, 13:41   #49
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
I have followed the installation instruction but I have changed the wireless security to WEP and entered a WEP key. Is there anything else I should do?
Hi Lisa,

Glad that your connetion problems seem to be sorted. As long as you've added the WEP key there isn't much else you should need to worry about.
If your router allows it you could limit access to it to the two machines that you are using, that would prevent anybody else from accessing the router.

Look for a setting that allows you to limit access to certain MAC addresses. If you have any problems let us know.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Raist.
Old 29-12-2004, 13:44   #50
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Hi All,

Is there something I need to do in order to be able to print to the printer on the desk top?

I have not set up the new network on the desktop that I am now using between the laptop and router is this what I need to do?

Cheers Lisa
I'm not entirely sure how you would get this to work. At a guess, you would need to have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines (but there are some security risks associated with that - try a Google search) and then set up a network between the two - but to be honest I'm not entirely sure.

Raist.
Old 29-12-2004, 15:42   #51
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

As Raistlin says, just share the printer on the desktop, on XP there is a "share printer" option on the menu. The makes it visible to other machines on your network. On the laptop just install a new printer and you should see it available as something like //desktop/hp-printer.

I find its easier just to install the printer drivers on each machine and set the shared printer up as the default, than use the XP printer setup though.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 18:35   #52
lisauk
Inactive

Thank you GeoffW.

I know this is not the place for my following question but I would very much appriciate help.

I had a Sony PEGA-CC5 (PEG-TH55) for Christmas and I have been trying to install it on my laptop since 25th December.

Does anyone know of a good forum to try or can anyone offer me assistance. if you can please message me or private message me and I will contact you.

I try to install the software that came with it and when i click the install button it says "Palm Desktop application may not be installed properly. Please refer to the handheld user manual on how to re-install the Palm Desktop application and try again. I have reinstalled the software uninstalled the software but still no joy.

The CD i am installing is Smart ST Professional for PalmOS 5 v1.30

The PDA is connected via a usb cable.

Sorry for posting here but i did not know what else to try.

Cheers L
Old 29-12-2004, 18:48   #53
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Try

http://www.expansys.com.au/forumover...t.asp?man=SONY

or here

http://esupport.sony.com/cgi-bin/select-clie.pl

Also, a quick google indicates that the software you are trying to install is for Navman's GPS system - I would guess you have to install the Clie software first, if you've not already done so.
Old 29-12-2004, 22:23   #54
lisauk
Inactive

I have tried to install the CLIE software but it tells me that the Handheld is not installed.

I have posted a message on the first link you gave me but it seem not many people are posting on there.

Cheers for all help.

L
Old 09-01-2005, 17:56   #55
lisauk
Inactive

What is the XP Printer setup?

I am not sure what I am doing now with the share printer thing.

I do not want to mess up my desktop internet connection.

I am not sure if I have the desktop on the same network as the laptop as I can not access file between the two machine.

Please can someone tell me in a dummy way how to do all of this so I can access files from both machines and so i can print to the printer which is attached to the desktop.

My network set up is as follows:

internet --- wireless router --- wireless laptop

internet --- wireless router --- ethnet connection to desktop --- printer

Cheers Lisa
Old 09-01-2005, 23:06   #56
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
What is the XP Printer setup?

I am not sure what I am doing now with the share printer thing.

I do not want to mess up my desktop internet connection.

I am not sure if I have the desktop on the same network as the laptop as I can not access file between the two machine.

Please can someone tell me in a dummy way how to do all of this so I can access files from both machines and so i can print to the printer which is attached to the desktop.

My network set up is as follows:

internet --- wireless router --- wireless laptop

internet --- wireless router --- ethnet connection to desktop --- printer

Cheers Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Have you tried the Network connection Wizard in XP?

I haven't tried it myself but it looks like it might be able to do this automatically for you.

START > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK SETUP WIZARD (not the wireless one though)

Haven't been able to try it because I only have one machine. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

It might be worth creating a new restore point before you start (just in case )
Old 13-01-2005, 21:09   #57
lisauk
Inactive

How do i create a new restart point?
Old 13-01-2005, 21:22   #58
Raistlin
Inactive

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
Old 13-01-2005, 21:41   #59
lisauk
Inactive

I have just used the network wizard but it has not seemed to work.

I have also done the wizard on my laptop.

During the wizard set up it asks if you want to use the same connection as the internet connection I said yes.

Any think else you can recommend?
Old 13-01-2005, 22:19   #60
Raistlin
Inactive

I take it that the internet connections are still working ok and that you have a wireless connection that is stable and running fine?

On the laptop you need to have the drivers for the printer installed (I think). You will also probably need to install the printer as a network printer:

Try - START > CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS AND FAXES > ADD PRINTER

Windows should ask if you want to install a local printer (attached to this computer) or a network printer, select the network printer option. So long as you have file and printer sharing enabled on the desktop it should be able to pick it up.

I seem to remember that there is another setting that you need to enable as well (something about binding File and Printer sharing to one of the network protocols) but I can't remember which it is yet. Give me a while and I will see what I can find for you.