Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 11-12-2004, 22:09   #31
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

ZA shouldn't have just stopped starting up at startup.

Go to START > RUN and type msconfig

On the first tab make sure that you have Normal Startup selected.

If you do, go to the startup tab and make sure that any boxes that sound like they are to do with Zonealarm (you'll know which ones I mean if you see them) have got a tick in them.

Now restart.

If ZA deosn't start automatically go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ZONELABS > Click on ZONE LABS SECURITY, this will start ZA for you.

Once ZA is running, double click on the icon in the system tray.

Go to the Overview section and then to the Preferences tab.
Make sure that there is a tick in the box marked "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" an in the box marked "protect the ZoneAlarm client".

Now close the ZA box and restart your machine.

If all of those things were ok then ZA should be loading at startup, you may have a more serious problem (a virus maybe). But we'll cross that bridge when / if we come to it.

Raist.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2004, 23:40   #32
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point

The box Load ZoneAlarm with Antivirus at startup was not ticked but it is now..
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 23:58   #33
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok, you should find that has sorted things out now, yes?
Old 12-12-2004, 00:34   #34
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

Will let you know tomorrow, have not restarted as i will probably loose my network connection.

Cheers Lisa
Old 12-12-2004, 00:36   #35
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
Will let you know tomorrow, have not restarted as i will probably loose my network connection.

Cheers Lisa

And people call me cynical!!

Ok, let us know how you get on tomorrow. Hope all is well.
Old 12-12-2004, 14:36   #36
lisauk
Inactive

Once again i am here.

Laptop started up great today and so did zone alarm, thanks Raistlin great help thats one thing sorted.

Now the wireless nework issue once again.

Can't connect today again.

Does it matter which computer I connect to the network first?

Desktop PC says Automatic in the top right corner by the star in Wireless Network Connections and Laptop says Not Connedcted.

If i press disconnect on the laptop it then says On demand.

Sorry it is a little hard to do a screen grab and post it of the laptop when I cant get it connected.

Any ideas on the On Demand and automatic thing?
Old 12-12-2004, 14:43   #37
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, you need to start things in this order:

Cable MOdem
<Wait for the lights to settle>
Desktop PC
<Make sure that it is logged in and can connect to the internet>
Laptop
<Boot it up, leave a few seconds and then log in, now try to connect it>

The "On Demand" thing is literally that, your computer will connect to the network when you ask it to. "Automatic" means that it should connect whenever it sees that there is a network in range.

Your current problems are probably being caused by the fact that the PC hasn't had time to get an IP address from the CM or to initialise its side of the wireless network before you start the laptop up.

Try the above and let me know how you get on.

Raist.
Old 12-12-2004, 15:00   #38
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

It COULD just be a hardware problem. I had something like this with a Belkin card which was on the way out. Took ages to connect. Eventually, would not connect at all.
Old 12-12-2004, 15:20   #39
Raistlin
Inactive

You may be right, if we can eliminate the other possibilities first though.....

A lot of the problems here just sound like annoyances caused by trying to hook up wireless networks between two PCs without the use of a router. Windows is supposed to make all of this easier but, as usual, MS have shafted us completely!
Old 12-12-2004, 15:59   #40
JohnHorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Ok, you need to start things in this order:

Cable MOdem
<Wait for the lights to settle>
Desktop PC
<Make sure that it is logged in and can connect to the internet>
Laptop
<Boot it up, leave a few seconds and then log in, now try to connect it>

Raist.
...but see post 25.
Old 12-12-2004, 16:04   #41
JohnHorb

Clutching at straws here, maybe someone can answer this. If the PC is detecting an access point somewhere nearby (neighbour), would it try to associate with that, even if the WEP key didn't match, and might that be what is causing the problem? If not using a router/access point, I would be inclined to set both ends up as 'ad-hoc'.
Old 13-12-2004, 17:43   #42
Raistlin
Inactive

The fact that Lisa's wireless adaptors are only picking up one access point/wireless device each (I'm sure she would have mentioned the fact that there was more than one) would seem to preclude this but it's a good thought.

Lisa, in the properties settings, for either of your wireless adaptors (not for the wireless connection), does it allow you to change the frequencies / channels that they connect on?
I have just solved my problems with my wireless router and it all stemmed from the fact that the channel (or frequency) that they were on was accepting interference from an unknown source so they weren't able to attain / keep a stable connection.

Also, is there an option in the Laptop's wireless adaptor's properties that allows you to choose between which wireless standard it is using? Looking at the name of the adaptor it should be capable of running on either the "b" or the "g" standard. If it is set to "g" then this will certainly cause problems, if it is set to "either" or "both" then you might want to try telling it only to use "b" (as this appears to be the standard supported by the adaptor in the PC).
Old 14-12-2004, 23:15   #43
lisauk
Inactive

Dear All

Thank you for so many posts, guess what since my last posting I have had not problems: probably should not have said that "Famous last words and all that"

The desktop is alway on along time before the laptop as my partner uses the desktop when he gets home and he using the internet so I guess it does have an ip address.

The network is set up to be an adhock network on both machines.

Not sure about an wireless stardard or by the frequency question, what is meant by this?

My wireless router has arrived but I have decided as it is a Christmas present I will not open it until Christmas Day, guess where I will be Christmas probably on here although I will probably not get a chance to install it christmas day.

I did think perhaps I was picking up someone elses wireless device before as I did get another thing comeup in wireless networks but it was only once and i have not seen it since.

What are the security issue with this could someone sit outside my house and access my computer using a wireless connection or is this safe aslong as i use the WEP key?

Any more question please post.

Probably be back here tomorrow when it does not work once again.
Old 14-12-2004, 23:41   #44
Raistlin
Inactive

Hi Lisa,

I've got all of my fingers, all of my toes, my legs, my arms, and my eyes crossed for you.

Ok, there are essentially two wireless standards. Wireless "b" and wireless "g". The "g" standard is the newest standard of the two and is also the fastest. Most "g" devices are compatible with both standards. If you are using two different standards on your network then this might be causing problems but isn't normally a problem.

As for the frequencies, wireless transmitters operate at different frequencies (a bit like different radio stations transmitting on different frequencies - which is why you have to retune to get a different station). Most of the time these frequencies are so close together that your equipment sorts it all out itself. As I have recently found with my equipment, it is possible that there will be interference from something else that mucks up the signal (a microwave, a cordless phone etc). You can find that changing the frequencies that your equipment is operating on will stop this being an issue.

Security....... Hmm, I have one or two concerns myself about wireless security. The way I understand it though is that if you have a WEP key set up it is very (or should that be fairly?) difficult for somebody else to get access to your network. They would have to hack your key and then tell their machine the exact key to use to connect to your network. If you are using 128 bit encryption then this will provide better protection than a 64 bit encryption.
You will probably find, when you start to install your router, that there are more security options in there. You might, for instance, be able to tell it to only allow access from certain machines (which you would specify when you set it up).

I sincerely hope that your network stays nice and stable for you and that you don't get any problems when you come to install your router.
Obviously, if you get any questions when you come to do that then just post back here and I'm sure we'll be able to work it out together.

If we don't hear from you before, I hope that you and your b/f have a great Christmas and that your wireless experience continues to be trouble free and happy

Take care,

Raist.
Old 15-12-2004, 23:05   #45
lisauk
Inactive

Raistlin,

I do have a B and a G on my wireless net work as the laptop have a G connection which is built in and the desktop has a wireless dongle which is a B the dongle will be replaced with a wired connection to the router once christmas is here.

Can you tell me how you can change the frequecies?

I do have a wirefree telephone which is just plugged into the power in the same room as the desktop this may be interfering i guess.

I am unable to connect one again but hopefully i will get it working in a mintute.

Cheers Lisa