Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 09-12-2004, 13:56   #16
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Yippy,

Guess what everyone, I managed to some how get my wireless network up and running again last night not really sure how. Probably will not work again tonight when I try to connect. Oh well router will arrrive soon.

Thanks for all your help.

Lisa
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2004, 14:18   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

FANTASTIC!!

I'll hold my breath until this evening but I hope uit carrys on working for you.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 21:11   #18
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

I did have a few problems this evening connecting to my network. Both machine find the network and connect but then I can not access the web on the laptop. I have got it working again now but only by trial and error.

Can someone explain the network key and the tick box the key is supplied for me, I think this is what is causing my problem.

When I turn off my laptop and desktop in the evening and then try to reconnect the next day the computers connect to the net work but the laptop has and IP that starts 169 and so will not connect to the internet. When I finally get it working again the ip starts 192.

Any ideas?

Will this be easier when the wireless router is in place or will i still get the same problem?

Lisa
Old 09-12-2004, 22:21   #19
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

The wireless router will make things a lot easier.

It sounds like your machines are competing with eachother for an IP address. I think that the 169. IP is the one that NTL are assigning to you and the 192. address is one that is being assigned by the network. When your Laptop has a 169 address you will probably find that it has sort of stolen the allocated address from the desktop (I'm assuming that the desktop is the one with the actual connection to the cable modem?). When your laptop has a 192. address it is using an internal network address to connect to the internet through the desktop.

When your router is in place you should find that they are assigned addresses by the router so you won't (shouldn't) have this problem.

The WEP key needs to be the same on both machines and you should specify it. There is no mechanism in place for the key to be supplied to the computer.

The network key is used to encrypt the information travelling between your machines and it allows the two machines to connect to eachother across the network, both machines need to be using the same key or it won't work.

I think that's the way all of this works, I'm fairly new to wireless myself. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.
Old 09-12-2004, 22:27   #20
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

A bit confusing this. The 169 address is what Windows allocates if you are using DHCP ('automatically allocate an IP address'), but no DHCP server can be found. The 192 address is what is normally allocated by a router. I've never used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), but maybe that acts as a DHCP server, allocating an address to the 'client' - in this case the laptop. If that is the case, it could just be a question of making sure the Desktop (if that is what has the Internet connection) is powered up and stabilised BEFORE powering up the lap-top.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2004, 22:30   #21
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

...and I think I have seen a setting for WEP re 'the key is supplied...', but I've never used it, so don't know what it does.
Old 09-12-2004, 23:14   #22
lisauk
Inactive

Yes my desktop is the one with the internet connection and the ip on the internet connection starts 81.

When the network is working correctly i think the desktop has the ip 192 for the wireless connection and as does the laptop but i am not sure what the desktop has when the connection is not working: i will have to check probably tomorrow when it does not work again.
'the key is suppled....' can only be found with SP2 installed when you go to Wireless Network Connection Properties and click the Wireless Network Tap there is a tick box under key index (advanced).

Does any one know where I could find a key that tells me what the different icons that appear in the Preferred networks panel mean, They keep changing I have seen about 4 different icons so far this is depending on if the wireless network is working, in range or up to its old tricks of messing me around.

Cheers Lisa
Old 09-12-2004, 23:45   #23
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
Does any one know where I could find a key that tells me what the different icons that appear in the Preferred networks panel mean, They keep changing I have seen about 4 different icons so far this is depending on if the wireless network is working, in range or up to its old tricks of messing me around.

Cheers Lisa
Lisa,

Most of the icons should be shown and described on the page I mentioned in post 12 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0804.mspx - any you can't find there, either post a screen shot or try to describe.

In the morning (or evening) I would suggest turning on the Cable Modem (or STB) first, then when that is settled turn on the desktop. When this has an internet connection working turn on the Laptop. This will make sure the desktop has a working connection to share before the laptop tries to share it.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 23:55   #24
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

The key, if you have a RADIUS key server (and you don't) that can serve keys for a corporate scale wireless LAN.

On your network you need to PSK - Pre shared Key.

Make sure the desktop has been on a minute or so before booting the laptop. the 169 IP is the IP address MS allocates as an internal IP.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 19:40   #25
lisauk
Inactive

The desktop computer is alway on long before the laptop and has an internet connection.

The wireless network ip on the desktop always starts 192.

On the laptop the ip always starts 169 if the nework is not working and does not have a default gateway but when the network is working it has an ip of 192 as does the default gateway on the laptop.

I can not get it to connect correctly today been trying since 5.10 and now it is 18.40

Cheers Lisa
Old 10-12-2004, 19:45   #26
lisauk
Inactive

Just got connected, probably have the same problem tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2004, 22:34   #27
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Lisa,

Can you post a screen shot of the connections when working and when not working. Might give us some clues.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 21:14   #28
lisauk
Inactive

What should I take a screen shot of?

Wireless Network Connections, panel.

Wireless Network Connection Properties?

Cheers Lisa
Old 11-12-2004, 22:12   #29
Raistlin
Inactive

I suppose the more shots you can give us the better but I would wait and see what the others need before you post anything.

As a slight aside, these wireless networking problems are catching.
My (previously faultless) wireless network has now started giving me real problems and I can't seem to get them sorted.
Old 11-12-2004, 22:37   #30
lisauk
Inactive

Do you think the Win XP (SP2) and zone alarm could be causing prolems with the wireless connections.

Have there been any updates recently?

I have noticed that my zone alarm has stop starting up at start up any ideas?

Lisa