Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Wireless Networks were found in range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No Wireless Networks were found in range

Old 06-12-2004, 23:02   #1
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links
lisauk is an unknown quantity at this point
No Wireless Networks were found in range

I have been unable to connect my PC and My laptop on a wireless network this evening using my wireless dongle and my wireless connection on my laptop.

I have the service pack 2 installed on both and all has been working on a off for about a month but now the PC does not seem to be able to find any available networks. The laptop finds an availalble network fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers
lisauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2004, 23:12   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Have you got a router in between them or are they connected to eachother?

Have you got a firewall running?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 23:18   #3
lisauk
Inactive

Services: Sky NTL Broadband PS2 Orange C500 SPV Mobile Wireless Network Via Links

They are connected to gether no router yet getting one for Christmas and talking about that on another thread.

I have a Zone Alarm Running on both machine but this has always been the case.

I am not really sure how to set my network up so it could be too do with that.

On the laptop I ahve a network in perfered networks and it says networkname(Manual) the icon look like a little board with a hoop on.

On the PC there are no preferred networks as I have just deleted it.

One thing I have noticed when I double click on the network computer in the system tray near the clock it take a while to display the network properties, this was fast yesterday when the network was working.

Cheers Lisa
Old 06-12-2004, 23:20   #4
lisauk
Inactive

I have just added the pc to the networkname and in preferred networks it says networkname(Automatic) the icon is like an arial with a red cross on it.

There are no networks available when i go to view wireless networks.

Lisa
Old 06-12-2004, 23:33   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Hmm, not sure about this one as I've only just started with wireless myself.

Have you got the Network name set to the same thing on both machines?

Have you got any of the security features enabled (WEP etc?) and if so have you made sure that you have given the same settings and key to both machines?

In the properties section have you got the box ticked that says it is an Ad-Hoc network?

please understand that I'm just guessing on some of these things as I'm not complete;y up on the technology yet but it might be woth checking these things.

Another thing you could look at is your zonealarm logs (assuming they're switched on). Is there anything in there (look at the firewall tab). I know you say that ZA has been installed on both for a while but IIRC they have recently updated ZA so that may have affected things a bit.

Try lowering the Internet Zone and Trusted Zone security sliders (on the firewall tab) and see if that has any effect.
Old 06-12-2004, 23:34   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Oh, and have you clicked on the option in the "available networks" screen that says "refresh network list"?
Old 06-12-2004, 23:37   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Disable Zone Alarm on both PCs
Check Windoze firewall is not enabled on either PC, SP2 could have turned this on.
Are there any environmental changes that could have occurred, new cordless phone, new TV digisender, moved microwave?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 00:02   #8
lisauk
Inactive

Just a quick reply as it is time for bed for me.

The wireless dongle on the pc is a IEEE802.11b wireless USB Adapter

The wireless connection on the laptop is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

Windows Firewall is not on.

I don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settings.

No new microwaves or phones etc.

Have refreshed wireless network connections many times but still nothing.

Setting on both machines are:

Association:-
Network Authentication: Open
Data encruption: WEP
Network Key: I set this manually the same on both
Key Index: 1

Authentication:-

ON PC

Enabled IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network
EAP type: Smart Card or other Certificate
Authenticate as computer when computer information is available
Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is unavailable

ON LATPOP
No option are allowed

Connection:-
Connect when netowrk is in range

Advanced:

ON LATOP:
Any available netowrk (access point preferred) is choosen
If i choose Access Point (infracstruture) networks only on laptop the preferred network disappears.

ON PC:
Any available netowrk (access point preferred) is choosen
If i choose Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only on PC the preferred network disappears.

I had it working on any available netowrk (access point preferred)

Before when it worked.

Hope I covered everthing here.

Cheers Lisa
Old 07-12-2004, 00:34   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Hmm, don't disable the firewall completely just slide the sliders down a couple of notches and see if that helps.

If not you could disconnect your internet connection (just take the lead out of the pc) and then disable the firewall, no danger of anything nasty coming through then as you aren't actually connected to anything.

Have you installed any new software or changed any settings on anything recently? Any new hardware added?

Have you moved either machine recently? If so (and I don't mean this to sound patronising) have you made sure that all of the cables / plugs etc are secure and in the right place?

You could also try reinstalling the drivers for your "dongle" ( I love that word ) and see if that helps.

Other than that I have to confess that I am a little stumped but I'll take a look around tomorrow and see if I can find anything that might help you.

Goodnight.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:35   #10
darant
Inactive

darant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
I have been unable to connect my PC and My laptop on a wireless network this evening using my wireless dongle and my wireless connection on my laptop.

I have the service pack 2 installed on both and all has been working on a off for about a month but now the PC does not seem to be able to find any available networks. The laptop finds an availalble network fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Hi,

I have just (last 2 weeks) brought myself to the wonderful world of wireless and have had lots of hastle to get things †œin the airââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ so to speak....

1. You mention any available networks?

What do you mean by this?

2. Have you set up your systems using a Domain or Work Group?

Wireless setups, I believe, act differently depending on this?

3. Are you using the hardware manufactures or Windows inbuilt software to create your newtork?

4. Are you using fully compatible hardware for your network?

See below

5. You have not mentioned the make/s or model numbers of the hardware?

Please specify?

6. You mentioned †œI don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settingsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

If your setup is PURELY for a PC to PC based network? If so, disabling Zone Alarm will not effect your systems as long as your NOT connected to the net

7. Again, not being funny or patronizing, have you FULLY checked the setup?

8. For what purpose are you setting the Network up?

PC to PC connection or file sharing (Ad-Hoc), Printer Sharing, Instant Network messaging, Internet Sharing, other, etc etc?

I apologies if my questions sound like Iâ₠™m patronizing or probing, but you did say †œI am not really sure how to set my network up so it could be too do with thatâ₠¬Ã‚ in post #3. Iâ₠™m NO EXPERT but have info fresh in my head as Iâ₠™ve literally just set up my own Wireless setupÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦

I see that Raistlin has a Wireless router as do I. To be honest, I would not even attempt a Wireless setup or network without a decent router/hardware firewallââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ã ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦.

I hope we can sort this for youââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢ ¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦.. I looked on the forums and found hardly any threads covering Wireless so hopefully we can all help in getting this issue sorted.

Regards

Daran
darant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:55   #11
lisauk
Inactive

In answer to your questions:

1. You mention any available networks?

I have services pack 2 installed and this gives you a different way of connecting to your wireless networks, if you click refresh it shows you the available networks but I do not have any available on the PC.

2. Have you set up your systems using a Domain or Work Group?

I have set my network up usinga Work Group, using the wireless network wizard in Services pack 2.

3. Are you using the hardware manufactures or Windows inbuilt software to create your newtork?

I am using the windows inbuilt software, as mentioned above the service pack 2.
4. Are you using fully compatible hardware for your network?

I am not sure if the wireless dongle is fully compatiable with my inbuilt wireless connection on my laptop but it has been working for at least the past month.

5. You have not mentioned the make/s or model numbers of the hardware?

The only information I know is

The wireless dongle on the pc is a IEEE802.11b wireless USB Adapter - make not sure, as i am at work.

The wireless connection on the laptop is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, laptop is a HP Compaq.

6. You mentioned †œI don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settingsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

The PC is actually connected to the internet which is why I want the network set up I guess that answers questions 8 aswell.

7. Again, not being funny or patronizing, have you FULLY checked the setup?

i would not really know what to check for apart from everything seems to be setup the same on both machines.

Nothing seems to be different from when it was working on Sunday evening but I have now deleted the wireless network and tried setting it up again but still nothing.

8. For what purpose are you setting the Network up?

Answered in no: 7

Extra Info:

As mentioned above I am getting a wireless router for christmas, please my my other thread, search for lisauk. I will order the router this evening, I just need to get the network working until then as my partner using the PC and I use the Laptop.

Cheers Lisa
Old 07-12-2004, 15:29   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Lisa,

Have you had a look at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0804.mspx - a Microsoft guide to WLan config on SP2.

IIRC, on the desktop you will need to add a 'prefered' connection and as well as specifying the SSID (Network name) and WEP key you need to select 'This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network' at the bottom of the page. This will tell windows to broadcast the SSID as well as listening for one.

It should be much easier when you get your router!

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 21:26   #13
lisauk
Inactive

This network has always been working in the last month and never on a Computer-to-computer (adhoc) network.

Networking really confusses me, i am now going to order the router.

Strange...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:41   #14
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
This network has always been working in the last month and never on a Computer-to-computer (adhoc) network.

Networking really confusses me, i am now going to order the router.

Strange...
Networking without a router can be a bit hit and miss. When a router is in place it just seems to want to work (famous last words - see you here over christmas with the my network won't work with my new router thread).

Does one of your PCs have an ethernet socket, vhandy if you are setting up a wireless network do set it up wired (it makes setting up the wireless security easier).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 21:25   #15
lisauk
Inactive

I have order the wireless router and should be here by the end of the week. My partner may even let me install it straight away as at the moment I am only using the PC when my partner is not which is a hassle when we both wanna use it.

Yes i do have an ethenet connect on my desktop pc as that is how my cable modem is connect at present.

Fingers crossed that it will all work once installed.

Lisa