Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WiFi VoLTE Calling Coming To Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

WiFi VoLTE Calling Coming To Virgin Media

Old 15-04-2020, 08:42   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: WiFi VoLTE Calling Coming To Virgin Media

It allows seamless use of your own mobile device and mobile phone number for calls and texts when connected to WiFi, so fills in gaps for mobile signal coverage or where a building blocks the signal.

It's not a big deal in itself, but just helps smooth out the overall service experience.
Old 16-04-2020, 21:57   #17
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The S7 isn't supported for Virgin Mobile WiFi Calling. Nor is the S8.

For Samsung devices it's the S9 and above i.e. Android 10 (April 2020 security patch) or later.

For iOS it's the 6s and above i.e. iOS 13.4 or later.
Pitty they are not allowing it on the S9 Note at the moment

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 22:07   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Pitty they are not allowing it on the S9 Note at the moment
Well the Note 9 hasn't yet had the April update. BTU version is still on the March release.

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga.../SM-N960F/BTU/
Old 16-04-2020, 23:17   #19
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Quote:
The S7 isn't supported for Virgin Mobile WiFi Calling. Nor is the S8.

For Samsung devices it's the S9 and above i.e. Android 10 (April 2020 security patch) or later.

For iOS it's the 6s and above i.e. iOS 13.4 or later.
I definitely seen a WiFi calling option on my s7 edge a new years ago. But It gone now, must have been within one of the android updates
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 00:20   #20
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My S7 has wifi calling via Three or EE so I don't understand why it may not be supported via Virgin mobile.
Old 26-04-2020, 18:11   #21
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Well the Note 9 hasn't yet had the April update. BTU version is still on the March release.

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga.../SM-N960F/BTU/
My Note 9 updated last night and i now have Wifi calling

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 18:34   #22
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I definitely seen a WiFi calling option on my s7 edge a new years ago. But It gone now, must have been within one of the android updates
Until lately EE either didn't allow Virgin to do this or they had pay extra for this for allow customers to use this feature
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 16:34   #23
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

I have reset my s7 and still no option for wifi calling.

This was recommended by Samsung support.

VM support are just not great at the minute...
Old 01-10-2020, 16:48   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

As I said above in April, the S7 isn't supported for Virgin Media's WiFi calling option.

Even if the option appeared, you'd need to have an S9 or later for it to work, as those are the devices that have been updated by Samsung to support Virgin Media's WiFi Calling.
Old 01-10-2020, 23:59   #25
JMcB
cf.geek

It's supported in Ireland by Virgin media Ireland...very strange
Old 10-02-2021, 09:46   #26
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I have been having problems sustaining a phone call connection whilst in the house. (S10+) I have an Asus iMesh network, apparently with a solid signal throughout. Virtually every time I move from one room, the room with my main router, to another during a call, the connection is lost. I have to move back to where I started to call the person back!

WiFi is on. By default 'Use LTE data networks calls whenever possible' is on for SIM 1, as is automatic mobile network selection. Network mode is LTE/3G/2G(auto connect). The 4G signal around here is very good.

What are the possible issues here? I could systematically begin to alter settings to try to eliminate the cause, but a few pointers from you guys could save me time. Obviously I can only test each change if I receive a call, something that doesn't happen every day.

Last edited by roughbeast; 10-02-2021 at 10:01.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:01   #27
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Although the VoLTE option now appears on devices with a Virgin Mobile SIM inserted, it only works if you're on the Vodafone network for Virgin Mobile. It's not possible if you're still using the EE radio network.

If you've not been notified that you're on Vodafone network (even if you don't have a 5G device yet), then WiFi Calls can't be handed off the mobile network.

Try turning off the LTE calling option for now and see if that helps at all.

I wouldn't expect that moving within a mesh network would drop the call, but that's down to the device to manage.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-02-2021 at 12:04.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:57   #28
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Although the VoLTE option now appears on devices with a Virgin Mobile SIM inserted, it only works if you're on the Vodafone network for Virgin Mobile. It's not possible if you're still using the EE radio network.

If you've not been notified that you're on Vodafone network (even if you don't have a 5G device yet), then WiFi Calls can't be handed off the mobile network.

Try turning off the LTE calling option for now and see if that helps at all.

I wouldn't expect that moving within a mesh network would drop the call, but that's down to the device to manage.

Thanks. I am on Virgin via Vodaphone. I will try your suggestion and keep it at that for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know if it works.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 13:11   #29
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Ok, if you're on Vodafone then the hand-off should work, but I've not moved over yet so haven't experienced it myself.

Hopefully you can turn the option back on as it does help when using the phone on a mobile network as you don't have to rely on a good 2G/3G signal in addition to the 4G or 5G one.
Old 10-02-2021, 23:04   #30
JMcB
cf.geek

My son and I got Google pixel 4a's for Christmas we both have/had a VM SIM. He moved last week to another network and has access to WiFi calling.

I have called CS with this information and the keep saying the phone manufacturers have to updat the phone. Again this is BS, both phones are 100% the same ��������