Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:33   #61
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Keep trying MM as you will get there in the end.
Well, don't look at me, it was Vince that posed the question!

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Disney is to launch its own new streaming service, which will include Disney originals and sport. It is not clear whether this service will have global reach or whether it will only be available in the US, but it is a sign of things to come.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...aming-service/

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

CBS All Access is to be made available internationally, starting with Canada.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...-to-go-global/
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44   #62
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So in your world we must subscribe to each individual broadcasters app to receive content, explain to me how that's going to be cheaper ?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49   #63
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
<snip>

Maybe the current youngsters 10-16 will slowly move to ondemand 100% (i still doubt it with sports...) but the older generation just wont so linear will be around for another 30 odd years.

My mum knows how to watch eastenders on demand if she's missed it. But she'd just rather watch it "live". She knows the time its on so whats the point in her watching it on demand later on?
Most 10-16 don't pay for the service. And some older still live at home with some cost cushioning.

As they leave home and have to fork out from their own pockets after all the other bills then linear (include recording of linear) becomes more attractive. Subscription may have some takers but PPV can get very expensive.
Old 09-08-2017, 13:17   #64
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So in your world we must subscribe to each individual broadcasters app to receive content, explain to me how that's going to be cheaper ?
Of course its going to be cheap as chips MM.
Old 09-08-2017, 17:58   #65
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Because I can't see an outfit like Amazon restricting this content to their own platform. They will need to reduce the cost of subscriptions and introduce a range of measures (including deals with all other providers) to maximise revenue. So if it was Amazon, you could choose between streaming on their website, watching it through Sky, VM, BT or wherever. If they restricted subscriptions only to their own website, they would not attract the increased number of subscribers necessary to enable them to make a profit through reduced pricing.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Of course its going to be cheap as chips MM.
No, just cheaper than now, Den.
Old 09-08-2017, 18:06   #66
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Old Boy you change your tune with every post I'm not on about Sport I'm referring to your Disney and CBS post.

You seem to champion all these options and still fail to answer my question of how much will people be forced to outlay if we have to buy a sub for each broadcasters app.
Old 09-08-2017, 18:25   #67
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Old Boy you change your tune with every post I'm not on about Sport I'm referring to your Disney and CBS post.

You seem to champion all these options and still fail to answer my question of how much will people be forced to outlay if we have to buy a sub for each broadcasters app.
I think I'm pretty consistent, actually. In respect of the various streaming services, I would go for as much choice as possible and let people choose which ones they want.

It is impossible to put a price on this because every operator could have different models and methods of raising reveues. But you could make intelligent choices that suit you under such a regime and pay less. Even Sky recognises this, which is why we have Now TV. The evidence of how things are changing is there already, if you look for it.
Old 09-08-2017, 18:50   #68
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Now TV is bundling just the same as Sky and Virgin only a lot smaller often referred to as a Skinny bundle.

What your suggesting is the likes of Showtime , HBO , CBS , Disney etc all going direct to the customer which in my opinion will work out far more expensive than the current bundling method.

Did you read your Disney link , Disney moving it's content from Netflix and selling direct to the customer in the USA it's hard to think how that will be cheaper for the customer.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:00   #69
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think the big US players will eventually force the kind of change that is being talked about here.

Sky already 'get it', which is why they have downplayed a little their commitment to getting sports rights at all costs, and why they have brought Now TV to our screens.

The move to Sky on the internet next year will be the next big step.
You mean that crappy 720p service which as of 2017 still does not support dolby digital.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:17   #70
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
You mean that crappy 720p service which as of 2017 still does not support dolby digital.
I agree it lags well behind Netflix and Amazon in both picture and audio quality crappy may be a bit harsh but in my opinion it's kept this way to stop migrations from there satellite service.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:37   #71
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Now TV is bundling just the same as Sky and Virgin only a lot smaller often referred to as a Skinny bundle.

What your suggesting is the likes of Showtime , HBO , CBS , Disney etc all going direct to the customer which in my opinion will work out far more expensive than the current bundling method.

Did you read your Disney link , Disney moving it's content from Netflix and selling direct to the customer in the USA it's hard to think how that will be cheaper for the customer.
Likely to be several pounds dearer one suspects MM.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:39   #72
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

But Now TV gives extra choice, which is what consumers want. Services such as Showtime, HBO, CBS, Disney etc are probably more in the Netflix league.

In terms of being cheaper for the customer, I think overall it will be, because it allows people to make alternative choices. It is these choices which will draw people away from pay tv as provided by Sky, VM, etc and suck them into these OTT services. Subscribers will become less loyal to these providers, choosing, say, Netflix, Amazon and Disney for a while, then moving to, say, Showtime, HBO and Disney a couple of years later. The vast amount of content will ensure that you wouldn't be subscribed to more than about three or four services at any one time because you simply wouldn't have time to see everything available if you took them all at once.

It will soon be clear to most, as it is already to some, that bundles of channels as packaged by the satellite and cable operators are poor value for money, and OTT services will come cheaper, offer more, and without advert breaks.

Ask yourself, if you subscribed to Netflix, Amazon, Disney and HBO, assuming that the latter were priced as Netflix and Amazon, and you dropped all your pay tv channels, would you not be better off? And if, say, Disney won the rights to Premier League Football and offered a service at, say, 85% of the present cost of the Sky Sports football option (or even 100% for that matter) would you not be better off overall? Don't forget you would have the Freeview channels on top of all this as well.

I know that in the years to come, I will be looking to ditch the pay tv channels and go for Freeview and OTT services only. I'm just waiting for the right time and I think it is fast approaching.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:44   #73
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the explanation I'll leave it there , let's agree to disagree as none of that makes sense to me.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:46   #74
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
I record everything in HD now, but frankly, there is no real difference in PQ for us, with our equipment, viewing Now TV. But even so, many Virgin viewers take it for Sky Atlantic and people have left Sky for Now TV. It provides choice. It may not be for you, but it adds to the quality of our viewing.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:
I agree it lags well behind Netflix and Amazon in both picture and audio quality crappy may be a bit harsh but in my opinion it's kept this way to stop migrations from there satellite service.
Agreed, and to attract subscribers who can't afford to take the full satellite service.
Old 09-08-2017, 19:55   #75
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I record everything in HD now, but frankly, there is no real difference in PQ for us, with our equipment, viewing Now TV. But even so, many Virgin viewers take it for Sky Atlantic and people have left Sky for Now TV. It provides choice. It may not be for you, but it adds to the quality of our viewing.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Agreed, and to attract subscribers who can't afford to take the full satellite service.
It drives me to get HBO Nordic and a VPN service. I can't get Sky and I have zero interest getting normal TV through Virgin. I live part of the week in the Nordic region anyhow so when I do watch it in the UK, I get the HBO programming in both 1080p and DD5.1. I also get to avoid giving money to Murdoch.
Closed Thread