Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Put Router to Sleep

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Put Router to Sleep

Old 13-01-2005, 22:54   #1
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Put Router to Sleep

Silly question maybe. If you turn your PC off at night as I do, do you power down the router if no-one else needs access to any services.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2005, 22:56   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Put Router to Sleep

There's no obvious need to, its not like it consumes huge amounts of power!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:00   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

If it consumes electricity, you may as well turn it off. No harm will be done.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:11   #4
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
There's no obvious need to, its not like it consumes huge amounts of power!
Theres no obvious need to leave it on either.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:13   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I power mine down:

1. Because it's wireless and I'm paranoid
2. Because it consumes power and I'm skint (not to mention tight)
3. Because the King of the Potato People tells me to do it
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:20   #6
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point

And so in conclusion, it is purely a personal thing. There is no problem with settings being lost or anything technical, just an economy or safety reason.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:23   #7
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

I leave mine up because it's also my DSL modem so it's easier to leave it running, I leave my switch on too.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 00:23   #8
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
And so in conclusion, it is purely a personal thing. There is no problem with settings being lost or anything technical, just an economy or safety reason.
exactly, I have my connections to ntl as installed, other stuff goes off the 6 gang, surge buffered strip

which does have a 4 gang plugged in - but low amperage, honest
Old 14-01-2005, 00:39   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I leave the router & modem turned on all the time.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 00:51   #10
Electrolyte01

I have to leave my router & modem on since my laptop is constantly running
Old 14-01-2005, 01:32   #11
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
exactly, I have my connections to ntl as installed, other stuff goes off the 6 gang, surge buffered strip

which does have a 4 gang plugged in - but low amperage, honest
Only 9 sockets how do you mange?
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 08:31   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
Theres no obvious need to leave it on either.
Unless you run a server As has been stated its purely personal, sometimes my Router can take a while to realise theres a connection to NTL and so sits there for a few minutes thinking about it, its nice to be able to turn my PC on and have a net connection straight away, and I doubt the people who use my IRC server would be too happy if I turned it off every night to go to bed
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote