Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | D Link Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

D Link Network

Old 14-12-2004, 01:03   #1
alanf617
Inactive

alanf617 is an unknown quantity at this point
D Link Network

I have a network at home that is based on D Link kit:
a 802.11b router,
a 22 Mb PCI card in a PC running XP Home
a 22 MB PCI card in a PC running Windows 98SE
a 22 Mb card that slots into a laptop running XP Home
a 54 Mb PCI card in a PC running XP Home (802.11g)
All secured by a 64 bit WEP number ( 10 digits). The software on some machines won't let me increase the number of bits to 128 or 256.

I believe WEP is fairly easily hacked. How can I make this network more secure? I can't see how to stop broadcasting the SSID in the router software, and when I tried, I couldn't get online again for a while. Would cloning work and if so, how do I do it? I'm confused.

TIA
alanf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2004, 01:11   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: D Link Network

Ok, is it possible to restrict that router to only allow access from certain MAC addressses? If it is you could tell it the MAC addresses of the network adaptors for your machines and then (in theory at least) it would only allow connections to / from those machines.

Is your entire network wireless? I'm guessing that it isn't by the specs that you have posted above?

There shouldn't be any reasons why you can't operate the network without broadcasting the SSID. The way I understand it, your machines send out a broadcast asking if the network exists (by SSID) if your router hears the request (and recognises the SSID) it will / should respond and allow the connection.

To be honest I would have to agree that (in theory at least) 64 bit encryption is fairly easy to hack. What you have to ask yourself is - why would anybody bother?
If you live in a metropolitan / heavily built up area then you might run the risk of attracting the attention of (so called) war drivers. If you are on a quiet, leafy, housing estate then I would imagine that the risk is fairly minor.

Obviously I don't know your exact situation.........
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 03:29   #3
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look here..... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435

HTH
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 06:47   #4
alanf617
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
Thanks... I read that before posting...that's when I failed to turn off SSID and lost my connection. D Link's software isn't so easy to understand
Old 14-12-2004, 06:53   #5
alanf617
Inactive

It IS all wireless, no obvious way of restricting access that I can see ( how do I find the MAC address of my machines?) And I'm a BIT leafy, residential area, but Netstumbler picks up another network and I don't want people browsing my Quicken files etc.
Does anyone know how to switch off SSID broadvast in D Link software?
Old 07-01-2005, 13:35   #6
Skippy81
Inactive

Skippy81 is on a distinguished roadSkippy81 is on a distinguished road

How do I find the MAC address of my machines?

Assuming you are running Windows xp, the easy way is to run "ipconfig /all" from a DOS prompt (go to run in the start menu and type "command" to get the prompt. In Win98, you access the DOS prompt through "cmd" instead, (I think). You need to run ipconfig on each machine.

Remember, that it is one MAC address per network interface, so choose the right one for the Wireless connection.

Please post the Model number of your router, and I will see if I can find you info about the SSID and MAC options.

The amount of time it takes to crack a 64bit WEP key depends on how much traffic is moving through your network. If your use is light and consists of internet surfing and the odd file share, it would take 5 hours minimum to crack. Most WarDrivers will not bother, after all they could crack a busy and "important" WEP network in less time. Bear in mind also, that many WarDrivers are fairly ethical , and are not "crackers", often they will avoid breaking encryption - even WEP.

Also, run a utility such as Languard and Nmap against all of your Network PCs. Assume that your wireless can be cracked by pretty much anyone, no matter what you do, and instead concentrate on keeping trust based filesharing and exploitable services on your Lan to an absolute minimum.
Skippy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 20:16   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

On my Belkin wireless router if you go into the configuration then MAC Address Filtering if lists all the pcs if they are turned on and connected and it copies the MAC over when you click copy.
Old 07-01-2005, 21:12   #8
daxx
Inactive

Services: All XL
daxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to daxx Send a message via AIM to daxx Send a message via MSN to daxx Send a message via Yahoo to daxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggom
On my Belkin wireless router if you go into the configuration then MAC Address Filtering if lists all the pcs if they are turned on and connected and it copies the MAC over when you click copy.
same here on a dlink 614+
daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 17:51   #9
alanf617
Inactive

>Please post the Model number of your router, and I will see if I can find you info about the SSID and MAC options.<

Thanks, it's A D Link 614 + router, and my main concern is that personal files ( e.g. Quicken ) could be hacken into

>Also, run a utility such as Languard and Nmap against all of your Network PCs. Assume that your wireless can be cracked by pretty much anyone, no matter what you do, and instead concentrate on keeping trust based filesharing and exploitable services on your Lan to an absolute minimum.<

Will do.... much is shared, so that wife can access her files from a different PC whilst I'm on this one

Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 17:59   #10
alanf617
Inactive

I can see the option to clone MAC address by browsing the settings on the router. Do I need to do this on each PC?
And once I've done this, do I amend any other of the default settings?

Thanks a lot