Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2008, 14:40   #9241
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Bootnote from that article;

"
We tried to obtain an interview today with Andrew Knight via a direct email approach. A Home Office press officer called soon after to say that "I'm not impressed by that... you [El Reg] do not do that, you come through us. If you do you will not get any response [at all to your queries]".
We asked if it was Home office policy to threaten journalists with excommunication if they try talking to senior civil servants. "No," she said. "It's just the way it is.""

Which part of "Civil", and "servant" doesn't she understand?

I pay her wages, I want her fired.
wonder whats going to be said in the meeting this week with more dirt found.
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2008, 14:43   #9242
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Phorm Contingency Plan

Right Guys

Time to set in motion a real plan to aid people if Phorm gets rolled out.

I propose that a webpage is created to cover the fundamentals of dealing with contracts; OFT; etc, and a guide to get out of of contracts, including reimbursement of advance payments.

Who is with me on this?
My contingency plan is to riing up VM and cancel. No web page needed. If this gets implemented then VM along with Phorm don't give a hoot about legalities ergo you can forget about contracts and the OFT.
Old 18-06-2008, 14:57   #9243
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
My contingency plan is to riing up VM and cancel. No web page needed. If this gets implemented then VM along with Phorm don't give a hoot about legalities ergo you can forget about contracts and the OFT.
I agree, but there will be folk who would want to protect their month in advance, and be scared of being liable for the remaining contract, which could amount to hundreds.

I would just like to see somewhere created where we can protect everyone, and everyone can see how shallow T&Cs and contracts really are.

Sammy
Old 18-06-2008, 15:15   #9244
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
well it is wednesday and statistically speaking, Wednesday Exclusive News Items seems to effect the (Phorm/BT)stock price far greater than other days
Old 18-06-2008, 15:16   #9245
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

If everyone regardless of being opt-in or out goes by profiler then the alterations tot he privacy or T&C to allow this would be at the dtriment of the user who asked to not be included in the phorm saga.. Trading standards OFCOM cause as much stink as you can they normally take the hint and release you in the end..
Old 18-06-2008, 15:45   #9246
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Brown seems to either not understand civilian liberties or chooses to not understand.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...n_ippr_speech/
Oh, good grief. Public support for the ID card scheme does not "remain strong" - there is no bloody support for that absurdity except in his fevered imagination. Terrorism is not as much of a threat as he's making out; it's just an excuse. None of this crap was necessary in the IRA days. The real threat is this blinkered government which is deliberately ignoring its own people - not realising that it's gonna cost 'em next year. The way things are going, I might actually vote for the first time since 1997, and if I do I will not be voting Labour!

"Citizens are not alarmed by the government's demands for biometric data"? The hell we aren't! The fact that people use such data to secure their laptops is irrelevant, because that is an example of the citizen using his/her own biometric data for his/her own, private purposes, with the data remaining firmly under its owner's control. That has nothing whatsoever to do with bloody ID cards! And he's further shot himself in the foot by using the word "demand". I don't take kindly to being told what to do at the best of times; having demands, especially unreasonable ones, imposed on me totally gets on my tits!

CCTV does not "reassure" people - it scares them to death. There is now CCTV in Manchester Victoria station - well, that's standard and even justifiable, you might say. But in the toilets?! I kid you not. Apparently there's been an increase in "indecent acts", whatever that's supposed to mean; I was tempted to find the station master and ask, but I wasn't in the mood to be branded as a subversive rebel because it would have interefered with my purpose for being in Manchester: to do a bit of book shopping.

I'm so reassured that I would like to emigrate and leave what's left of this sorry place to its own devices. If only I could afford it.
Old 18-06-2008, 16:01   #9247
smcicr
Inactive

smcicr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to say 'I'M STILL HERE' - checking in most days to see what's what.

Also - I know MoneySavingExpert has been tried before in terms of awareness but I would suggest - if a legal opinion can be garnered from somewhere - that it would be more receptive to a 'Get out of your [ISP NAME] contract free of charge' article.

They quite often have these articles - written by anyone - referenced on the regular email newsletter (as a good money saving tip) and that has a LOT of recipients...

It plays directly into the site's raison d'etre as it were and to be honest, if any of the potential candidates go ahead with Phorm I don't really care WHY people leave them so long as they do - financial pain is the only readily available way they can be made to reconsider I suspect. Well it's either that or the government / relevant agencies grow a set and do something - so, back to financial pain then...

Just a thought - anyone who IS a lawyer out there?
Old 18-06-2008, 16:04   #9248
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
It's great to see more positive Phorm articles in the Media, now where's our "select a quote" software and we'll see if we can spin something positive on iii to our spyware buddies
Old 18-06-2008, 16:11   #9249
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Oh, good grief. Public support for the ID card scheme does not "remain strong" - there is no bloody support for that absurdity except in his fevered imagination. Terrorism is not as much of a threat as he's making out; it's just an excuse. None of this crap was necessary in the IRA days. The real threat is this blinkered government which is deliberately ignoring its own people - not realising that it's gonna cost 'em next year. The way things are going, I might actually vote for the first time since 1997, and if I do I will not be voting Labour!

"Citizens are not alarmed by the government's demands for biometric data"? The hell we aren't! The fact that people use such data to secure their laptops is irrelevant, because that is an example of the citizen using his/her own biometric data for his/her own, private purposes, with the data remaining firmly under its owner's control. That has nothing whatsoever to do with bloody ID cards! And he's further shot himself in the foot by using the word "demand". I don't take kindly to being told what to do at the best of times; having demands, especially unreasonable ones, imposed on me totally gets on my tits!

CCTV does not "reassure" people - it scares them to death. There is now CCTV in Manchester Victoria station - well, that's standard and even justifiable, you might say. But in the toilets?! I kid you not. Apparently there's been an increase in "indecent acts", whatever that's supposed to mean; I was tempted to find the station master and ask, but I wasn't in the mood to be branded as a subversive rebel because it would have interefered with my purpose for being in Manchester: to do a bit of book shopping.

I'm so reassured that I would like to emigrate and leave what's left of this sorry place to its own devices. If only I could afford it.
Yes I heard all the toilets in London have CCTV on ADSL but finding proof is harder...
Old 18-06-2008, 16:16   #9250
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

this on III

Quote:
Posted by :Armegedon

---------------
so far they have
---------------

Did you know the PageSense invitation page (2006) & the Webwise invitation page were very similar except for the name, I should know I was presented with both!

There are many more facts still to come to light, but we'll see about that if or when it needs to go to Court!
whats this ? i'm pretty sure 2006 trials did not have a invitation page, is armegedon one of our number.

Old 18-06-2008, 16:46   #9251
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
sounds like a good idea, bt's main arguement with me at the moment is they do not see the change to the privacy clause as a material change so not reason to break the contract, if we can get a legal opinion on that it would be a good start

I am trying to get exact wording changes out of BT but they are resisting at the moment which leads me to suspect they are still rewording or they have something to hide as there may be more changes elsewhere in the contract we have not noticed yet

does anyone have a full copy of the T's and C's of last year they can PM me as i have access to software that does a nice document compare

peter
It doesn't matter if THEY see it as a material change or not, just drop them on the grounds that it is and watch them NOT take you to court. You honestly think BT want someone challenging this under common law in the courts? I think not especially given that the court are bound by the Human Rights Act 1998 and they MUST give a judgement which is compatible with that Act.

So forget what BT are saying they are blowing smoke, if privacy terms change in a contract it IS a material change and BT don't have a leg to stand on. They will however try everything in their power to persuade you not to cancel your contract.

Alexander Hanff
Old 18-06-2008, 17:15   #9252
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
If everyone regardless of being opt-in or out goes by profiler, then the alterations to the privacy or T&C to allow this would be at the detriment of the user who asked to not be included in the phorm saga..

Trading standards OFCOM cause as much stink as you can, they normally take the hint and release you in the end..
reference BTGIF (its hard to find in a search)

and lets not forget the Officially released BT diagram GIF for the upcoming trials in my post
10-04-2008, 02:49
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34524675
clearly shows that YOU will only have one way into the Network and on to the web, and its through the Deep Packet Interception Device.

"ALL HTTP Traffic"

it also makes it perfectly clear (to any County court small claims judge for instance )that if you Opt-out or refuse to be Opted-in, then BT are still trying to force a cookie on to your PC without your consent... and later read and alter its content against your Exress and Explicit refusal to consent or allow it.

"DECLINE : PLACE OPTED-OUT Cookie (No UID)"
Old 18-06-2008, 17:23   #9253
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
CCTV does not "reassure" people - it scares them to death.
In addition, it really doesn't help. Say I want to go out and hurt somebody for whatever reason (perhaps they look different from me, perhaps I don't like the clothes they're wearing or the music they listen to). All the CCTV does is mean that there's a higher chance that their body will still be warm by the time the police arrive at the scene.
Old 18-06-2008, 17:24   #9254
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Home office press office website;

"Please note: the press office deals with enquiries from the media only. Members of the public should phone 020 7035 4848"

Here to help.
Old 18-06-2008, 17:33   #9255
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

https://nodpi.org/2008/06/18/material-change/

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread