Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:48   #16
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Sky announced yesterday that Riviera has been downloaded more than 10 million times already making it the most popular box set release in Sky Atlantic history.

Clearly more and more are finding the benefits of On Demand.
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There is no conflict between streaming and watching live. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player, for example.

There appears to be a collective mental block on this subject!
Perhaps that applies to you on several threads as well as its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black OB.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky announced yesterday that Riviera has been downloaded more than 10 million times already making it the most popular box set release in Sky Atlantic history.

Clearly more and more are finding the benefits of On Demand.
My parents watched the full series of it on On Demand but the vast majority of their viewing is on linear TV and l cannot see that changing personally..
Old 06-07-2017, 14:28   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Perhaps that applies to you on several threads as well as its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black OB.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

My parents watched the full series of it on On Demand but the vast majority of their viewing is on linear TV and l cannot see that changing personally..
I don't have a mental block as far as I know, ol' chap! But I do get a little frustrated that so few can think outside the box and think about how things can change in the future. If we are both still around in another 10 years and look back on these posts, I am absolutely certain that people will be wondering what on Earth we were arguing about when on demand viewing would be accepted as far superior than being spoon fed programmes at times the broadcaster determined and liberally peppered with ads we don't want to see.

It's a no brainer for me, but I will be patient while you catch up!!
Old 06-07-2017, 14:49   #19
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I don't have a mental block as far as I know, ol' chap! But I do get a little frustrated that so few can think outside the box and think about how things can change in the future. If we are both still around in another 10 years and look back on these posts, I am absolutely certain that people will be wondering what on Earth we were arguing about when on demand viewing would be accepted as far superior than being spoon fed programmes at times the broadcaster determined and liberally peppered with ads we don't want to see.

It's a no brainer for me, but I will be patient while you catch up!!
10 years is a long time so we shall see OB.
Old 06-07-2017, 16:15   #20
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Wait a week to watch the next episode at the time chosen by the broadcaster or use On Demand and watch as you see fit either binge or at your own leisure at a time what suits you.

It's pretty hard to argue linear offers you a better experience.

With the exception of news and Sport we rarely watch live channels , everything is either On Demand or time shifted.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-07-2017 at 16:18.
Old 06-07-2017, 16:29   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Wait a week to watch the next episode at the time chosen by the broadcaster or use On Demand and watch as you see fit either binge or at your own leisure at a time what suits you.

With the exception of news and Sport we rarely watch live channels , everything is either On Demand or time shifted.
Same for us, except that I record the news as well. Although I normally watch it within half an hour or so of the start time, this gives me the option of finishing off what I am watching rather than interrupt my viewing at 10 o'clock, and I also skip any items I don't want to see, such as the BBC's obssessive coverage of people grieving after a tragedy, which often seems obtrusive to me.
Old 06-07-2017, 16:45   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Same for us, except that I record the news as well. Although I normally watch it within half an hour or so of the start time, this gives me the option of finishing off what I am watching rather than interrupt my viewing at 10 o'clock, and I also skip any items I don't want to see, such as the BBC's obssessive coverage of people grieving after a tragedy, which often seems obtrusive to me.
But there are many who are not like you and MM but alas that has not sunk in to you OB and our great sage who generally l agree with most of the time.
Old 06-07-2017, 17:04   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Well, my time is precious, Den, and I can watch three hour long programmes designed to be shown with commercial breaks in a little over two hours rather than three.

I admit that I really don't understand why you don't appear to see the wisdom of this, and you have never actually explained yourself on this point. However, as long as you're happy!
Old 06-07-2017, 17:07   #24
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Well, my time is precious, Den, and I can watch three hour long programmes designed to be shown with commercial breaks in a little over two hours rather than three.

I admit that I really don't understand why you don't appear to see the wisdom of this, and you have never actually explained yourself on this point. However, as long as you're happy!
Humans are not meant to be clones or sheep as the great thing is everybody has a differing view and opinion and long may it continue.
Old 06-07-2017, 17:21   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Very true , Den does seem to skirt around explaining why the live linear world offers us all a vastly superior experience.

The irony being I've never actually said linear is dead I just believe slowly but surely more and more people are starting to experience the benefits of On Demand.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44   #26
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Excepting that the initial release of programming will still be delayed. So while you can access box sets and binge that only happens once the scheduled, linear programme has aired.

Then there is cost - how to pay and how to air something new and get a return on it. How would you release something completely new? Do you try to charge per view, would customers risk the payment in advance? People buy box sets for shows they know they want.

So do we have a Netflix subscription, or Amazon Prime with some content included, some extra or pay per view or purchase in advance. Do we now need adverts in on-demand content and how does that get sold?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:08   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Not true Sky make many of its original shows available in their entirety via On Demand allowing you to watch before completion of linear airing.

I agree it's more challenging for non Pay TV broadcasters.

Last edited by muppetman11; 07-07-2017 at 12:19.
Old 16-07-2017, 17:38   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Excepting that the initial release of programming will still be delayed. So while you can access box sets and binge that only happens once the scheduled, linear programme has aired.

Then there is cost - how to pay and how to air something new and get a return on it. How would you release something completely new? Do you try to charge per view, would customers risk the payment in advance? People buy box sets for shows they know they want.

So do we have a Netflix subscription, or Amazon Prime with some content included, some extra or pay per view or purchase in advance. Do we now need adverts in on-demand content and how does that get sold?
When you talk about the initial release of programmes being delayed, I assume you are referring to catch up tv. It will not necessarily always be like this - indeed, there have been experiments already by various channels to bring out a whole new series of programmes before they have aired on scheduled tv.

It looks like the terrestrial commercial channels will lock you into the advertisements in much the same way as they do now (at least while people are still prepared to tolerate ads) and that is how they will make their money.

However, I think, with the existing subscription services available, probably increasing in number with time, people will choose to view there rather than be stuck with unskippable ads, and so all the existing terrestrial on demand services will offer a subscription alternative to stay in the game.

So, to answer your question, I guess that in the future, there will be a combination of subscription, pay per view, free and adverts swamped services to choose from, all at the expense of existing linear viewing on scheduled channels, which will decline in popularity as the current under 40s become the under 50s.
Old 03-08-2017, 13:52   #29
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But there are many who are not like you and MM but alas that has not sunk in to you OB and our great sage who generally l agree with most of the time.
It is reported that 76% of young people subscribe to streaming services but only 19% of us oldies, Den, which probably explains why there is so much scepticism from the older generation that conventional TV channels will wither on the vine.

In 20 years' time, these 16-24 year olds will be 36-44, and thus it is straight forward to see how this will play out.

My grandkids are so used to on demand viewing that they give me a funny look if on a rare occasion I'm on live tv and I have to tell them I can't fast forward!

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/b...ill-watch.html
Old 03-08-2017, 14:14   #30
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It is reported that 76% of young people subscribe to streaming services but only 19% of us oldies, Den, which probably explains why there is so much scepticism from the older generation that conventional TV channels will wither on the vine.

In 20 years' time, these 16-24 year olds will be 36-44, and thus it is straight forward to see how this will play out.

My grandkids are so used to on demand viewing that they give me a funny look if on a rare occasion I'm on live tv and I have to tell them I can't fast forward!

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/b...ill-watch.html
But how can you join in the twitter debate when you're watching on demand? The broadcasters aren't as daft as you think - they'll find ways of keeping live television and the advertising revenue it generates. Social media (and ironically the 'youngsters' who use it) will save linear.

Cheers

Dave
Closed Thread