Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best mid range router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Best mid range router

Old 27-04-2019, 18:59   #1
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Best mid range router

Hi all,

After now getting really fed up of the crappy wireless on the SH3, I think I am going to have to use it in modem mode and get a dedicated router.

For a mid range router - £50-80 (?), what are the best ones?

Thanks,

Nirav
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2019, 19:26   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Best mid range router

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
Hi all,

After now getting really fed up of the crappy wireless on the SH3, I think I am going to have to use it in modem mode and get a dedicated router.

For a mid range router - £50-80 (?), what are the best ones?

Thanks,

Nirav
An SH2ac,. Cost, free.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:07   #3
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
An SH2ac,. Cost, free.
But we cannot get that now can we?
Old 27-04-2019, 20:17   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
But we cannot get that now can we?
I don't know, you can always ask. Tbh I was in Modem mode for years, a hangover from the original crap SH. However my router played up , so I went into router mode for a bit and haven't had any issues with the SH2ac, faster speeds if anything.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:32   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Whatever you do KEEP with the Hub3, it supports 24 downstreams and just get a proper router if you need one, the wireless was no different on a SH2ac in my experience.
Old 28-04-2019, 12:47   #6
dcclanuk
Inactive

Thanks guys. I asked about the SH2AC yesterday and as expected you can only have the SH3.

On another forum people have suggested using a mesh router (?) - which ones are good? They mentioned it was around the £200 mark. I have about 3-4 things connected by ethernet which will continue to need ethernet connections and the rest on a good WiFi.

Thanks!
Old 28-04-2019, 13:04   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Give General Maximus a shout on these forums he seems to know good routers.
Old 28-04-2019, 15:56   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Thanks guys. I asked about the SH2AC yesterday and as expected you can only have the SH3.

On another forum people have suggested using a mesh router (?) - which ones are good? They mentioned it was around the £200 mark. I have about 3-4 things connected by ethernet which will continue to need ethernet connections and the rest on a good WiFi.

Thanks!
I'm getting these - each node has 2 x Gigabit ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-...ateway&sr=8-10
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 16:26   #9
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Give General Maximus a shout on these forums he seems to know good routers.
Will do - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 29-04-2019, 21:21   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
For a mid range router - £50-80 (?) what are the best ones?
It's a tricky one dude, unfortunately if you want a good router that price range is more entry level than mid-range. If that is your limit I would go for the Asus AC57u for £55, it is going to be better than what you have got now in every regard and will be a solid average router. If you want a "mid-range" router then I can highly recommend the AC68u, I have got it myself and is the bees knees. It is £140 but the excellent news for you is that you can buy a twin pack for £180 which is an absolute bargain. If you are thinking about future proofing with regards to wan to lan throughput and mesh wifi going forwards the twin pack would be the way to go. The AC68u supports mesh wifi and the 57u doesn't. Both routers are rated around 750mbits for wan to lan throughput.

Getting the twin pack is the way to go full stop because in terms of price they work out at £90 each which is a bargain. Mesh wifi isn't a necessity at the moment but it is definitely the way forward and if you can get such a great router now with mesh wifi as well you are laughing. I bought my routers separately so I have the ac68u serving as my main proper router and then I have an ac53u downstairs which is in access point mode (yup, a great feature from Asus) purely for wifi. There are lots of cables running around the house to each room so the router downstairs has a gigabit link to the ac68u and even though I am not using mesh wifi (the ac53u doesn't support it), every single one of my devices can get full speed over wifi anywhere in the house or outside in the garden. Normally this might be a cheaper option, especially if you were looking at multiple routers and wifi coverage, but even if you looked at two average non-mesh wifi routers like I suggested first you are still looking at £140 and depending on how big your house is I would rather just have one ac68u. The way I see it is that you have got 3 options:

1) Buy an entry level ac57u for £55
2) Buy a very very good ac68u for £140 which is excellent and will last yonks
3) Do a perfect job from the outset and what is also more cost effective and buy an ac68u twin pack and get mesh wifi up and running.

I'll warn you now, whatever you do don't go into a shop like Currys or Asda and buy whatever cheap ass crap they buy in bulk and say it is on offer. Routers are deceiving, you don't think you use them because you don't play with them like your pc or tv but they are in constant use 24/7 and arguably one of the most important items in your house. I know if my router died I would be lost until Amazon delivered the new one. My pearl of wisdom for the day is that a good router is worth its weight in gold and you pay for what you get.

Last edited by General Maximus; 29-04-2019 at 21:26.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 09:12   #11
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It's a tricky one dude, unfortunately if you want a good router that price range is more entry level than mid-range. If that is your limit I would go for the Asus AC57u for £55, it is going to be better than what you have got now in every regard and will be a solid average router. If you want a "mid-range" router then I can highly recommend the AC68u, I have got it myself and is the bees knees. It is £140 but the excellent news for you is that you can buy a twin pack for £180 which is an absolute bargain. If you are thinking about future proofing with regards to wan to lan throughput and mesh wifi going forwards the twin pack would be the way to go. The AC68u supports mesh wifi and the 57u doesn't. Both routers are rated around 750mbits for wan to lan throughput.

Getting the twin pack is the way to go full stop because in terms of price they work out at £90 each which is a bargain. Mesh wifi isn't a necessity at the moment but it is definitely the way forward and if you can get such a great router now with mesh wifi as well you are laughing. I bought my routers separately so I have the ac68u serving as my main proper router and then I have an ac53u downstairs which is in access point mode (yup, a great feature from Asus) purely for wifi. There are lots of cables running around the house to each room so the router downstairs has a gigabit link to the ac68u and even though I am not using mesh wifi (the ac53u doesn't support it), every single one of my devices can get full speed over wifi anywhere in the house or outside in the garden. Normally this might be a cheaper option, especially if you were looking at multiple routers and wifi coverage, but even if you looked at two average non-mesh wifi routers like I suggested first you are still looking at £140 and depending on how big your house is I would rather just have one ac68u. The way I see it is that you have got 3 options:

3) Do a perfect job from the outset and what is also more cost effective and buy an ac68u twin pack and get mesh wifi up and running.

I'll warn you now, whatever you do don't go into a shop like Currys or Asda and buy whatever cheap ass crap they buy in bulk and say it is on offer. Routers are deceiving, you don't think you use them because you don't play with them like your pc or tv but they are in constant use 24/7 and arguably one of the most important items in your house. I know if my router died I would be lost until Amazon delivered the new one. My pearl of wisdom for the day is that a good router is worth its weight in gold and you pay for what you get.
Great advice. I too have the AC68U: 3 of them in a Mesh config with ethernet backhaul. I bought them all on eBay second hand. They go for around £70 to £80:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ion=3000&rt=nc

So the twin pack is great value.
Old 03-05-2019, 21:39   #12
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

If I was to get the twin pack, do I need to connect both via ethernet?

P.S. thank you very much for such a detailed response!
Old 03-05-2019, 22:39   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Not in this case. For any other routers you would, like i have had to with mine, but with ai mesh they connect to each other via wifi and they have their own dedicated link so as to not affect the throughout of other connected devices.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:52   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Those only have a transmission speed of 867mb which in real world should only give 220mb.

The similar prices BT ones have a 1733mb transmission speed on the tech spec sheets
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 21:43   #15
dcclanuk
Inactive

Hi guys,

After doing some reading and speaking to others, it seems the mesh system may be the way to go indeed. Reading about the throughput etc, I guess real world it would be good to have at least 300mb+ actual throughput.

Also, I think I might need 3 nodes. (is it possible to buy 2 and then add a third one if needed?)

Based on this, what is the best mesh system to get which is around £200 (or less of course) - for all 3 nodes that is.

Thanks!