Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 360 set top box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

360 set top box

Old 05-03-2021, 09:24   #16
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: 360 set top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Probably, seeing I and many others still have an old Tivo box, never mind a V6. Very fond of it too, works very well in combination with a V6 and has other extra output benefits.

An 'upgrade' doesn't always mean better. People get too dazzled by that word. There's usually pros and cons. With the 360 there seems to be more cons.
Crikey l am agreeing with you twice this morning Mr K.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:44   #17
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

(Any one ready from VM close your eyes you've seen this already).

Our only TV is a Sony CRT with SCART inputs hence we like to keep our standard TiVo. We have a convertor but it only does SCART composite so picture quality isn't very good. The FireStick lets me fine tune the picture so it fits nicely but the V6 has bits all chopped off. We also have lots of recordings that we don't want to lose and many,many series links. We use the HD in both TiVo and V6 and can watch recording on either from either (normally from the V6 on the TiVo) so have 1.5TB storage (shame the 1TB TiVo failed).

I'm not going to get a new TV until the current one stops and one problem is that the smaller screen new TV's aren't that good. Currently we have 28" and really that is plenty, maybe 32" since flat panels have less around them. The guides talks about size to viewing distance - my wife is often maybe around 1m from screen, I'm about 3-4m on sofa as furthest usual distance but could be 8m at sharp angle if watching from dining table (only for live rugby).
Old 05-03-2021, 11:17   #18
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post

Our only TV is a Sony CRT with SCART inputs hence we like to keep our standard TiVo. We have a convertor but it only does SCART composite so picture quality isn't very good. The FireStick lets me fine tune the picture so it fits nicely but the V6 has bits all chopped off. We also have lots of recordings that we don't want to lose and many,many series links. We use the HD in both TiVo and V6 and can watch recording on either from either (normally from the V6 on the TiVo) so have 1.5TB storage (shame the 1TB TiVo failed).

I'm not going to get a new TV until the current one stops and one problem is that the smaller screen new TV's aren't that good. Currently we have 28" and really that is plenty, maybe 32" since flat panels have less around them. The guides talks about size to viewing distance - my wife is often maybe around 1m from screen, I'm about 3-4m on sofa as furthest usual distance but could be 8m at sharp angle if watching from dining table (only for live rugby).
Time for your wife to visit Specsavers?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:27   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Time for your wife to visit Specsavers?
Have to agree - that's the distance I sit from my computer monitor (34")
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:38   #20
Glitch33
cf.member

Glitch33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to think this through more rationally.

I don't record anything on the old Tivo. It has a newer 43" 4k Smart TV.

Used mainly for Amazon and Netflix. Wife tends to use this room far more than me.
Very occasionally I've watched recordings on the V6. I have used the NOW TV app to watch Sky Sports - I had cancelled it from the VM package but kept finding things I wanted to watch.

In another room I have a V6. It's connected to a relatively old, barely smart 55" HD TV. Sony SEN has a pathetically small choice of Apps.

I've been quite stringent with the V6 recordings recently. It was running at around 60% - 80% capacity but I've cut it back by deleting old stuff I'll never watch and deleting some of the series links that have hung around for years and occasionally spring into life.
Today it runs at about 20% capacity.

I'm not worried about losing recordings or Series links.

I keep threatening to buy a better TV and get the benefit of 4k/UHD, plus some real Smart features.

I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom so there's no plan to expand beyond the two TVs in downstairs rooms.

I wanted to make use of the UHD on TV no. 1 Plus at some point I will replace the old non-4k TV.

Two V6's would do the job nicely but one would be under utilised.
Until I get a new TV I should have just switched the Tivo and V6 around.

With hindsight I'd have held off the 360 'upgrade' (arriving tomorrow) but it's not the end of the world so long as I can prevent the wife having a meltdown because it doesn't work the same as the old set up.
Glitch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:20   #21
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Probably, seeing I and many others still have an old Tivo box, never mind a V6. Very fond of it too, works very well in combination with a V6 and has other extra output benefits.

An 'upgrade' doesn't always mean better. People get too dazzled by that word. There's usually pros and cons. With the 360 there seems to be more cons.
Agree had my Tivo at least 6 years, still doing sterling service.
alwaysabear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:32   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post

28 inch TVs aren't readily available these days. Some sizes just fall out of favour. I have relatives who have a 26" screen, they too won't be likely to replace it with a screen that size. There are a wider array of sizes in computer monitors, but the problem with them is they often don't come with remotes, so you'll probably need to press physical buttons to change the volume! I have this latter problem myself in one (secondary) room.

There was a time when 19 inch TVs were reasonably easier to source, but 22 and 24 (mostly the latter) are really the only "small" sizes available below 32 inch TVs.

If you were replacing the 28 inch, a 32 inch is the way to go. We replaced a 10 year old 32 inch HD LCD in 2017 with another 32 inch TV (this time 1080p rather than a weird in-between resolution) and the physical size difference was, frankly, amazing. Our replacement TV was so much smaller frame-wise, you'd have sworn it was a smaller size screen. The room felt more spacious afterwards. So from experience I can say you can replace an old 28 with a modern 32 and it won't be too much for the room.

32 inch TVs aren't available with 4K/UHD (that I've seen). TV manufacturers only seem to want to do 4K on 40" and above. (Downscaled 4K (via V6) looks lovely on 1080p though, in my humble opinion.) You can get 4K computer monitors at 32" though.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 15:28   #23
Glitch33
cf.member

Glitch33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the kit arrived a day early and I've now converted to 360.

Easy to install.

I need to sort out some series links but first impressions (10 minutes in) are positive.

I like the voice control. I have terrible problems with my Banks' voice recognition systems but this gets every word.

I think the picture quality on the 360 Mini is better than the old Tivo but maybe that's my imagination.
Glitch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 16:01   #24
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We replaced a Philips 28" 100Hz FST (Matchline chassis) with a Sony Bravia HD 42". The height is the same and with the thin bezel it's only 6" wider. On a smoked glass and chrome pillar stand it actually dominates the room less as it can be pushed further into the bay window.
Old 05-03-2021, 18:07   #25
browneggsandham
I try to help.

Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
browneggsandham is on a distinguished roadbrowneggsandham is on a distinguished road

Yep, I recently replaced a 10 year old 42inch screen with a Sony 49inch and they are not far off the same size, given the narrow surround on the new one.
browneggsandham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:30   #26
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I phoned today about the 360 setup, forgot my password(prity sure I didn't but!) So getting new one in the post.

Sorry back to my point. The guy who sounded like he knew what he was talking about said. "If it's the 360 update with your box it will keep recordings and obvs not it it's a new box.

Can anyone confirm this before I get password fixed and spin the whole way around ����
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:31   #27
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I phoned today about the 360 setup, forgot my password(prity sure I didn't but!) So getting new one in the post.

Sorry back to my point. The guy who sounded like he knew what he was talking about said. "If it's the 360 update with your box it will keep recordings and obvs not it it's a new box.

Can anyone confirm this before I get password fixed and spin the whole way around ����
When you upgrade the V6 to 360, you lose everything. The box will be like it's brand new.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:32   #28
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I'm kinda glad that I don't have the 360
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:20   #29
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I have 2 V6 boxes, I asked about a 3rd box with the 360 stuff and he said a new coaux cable would need to be installed.

Are they not ment to wirelessly connect to the main box?? Or have I picked that up wrong����
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:32   #30
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I have 2 V6 boxes, I asked about a 3rd box with the 360 stuff and he said a new coaux cable would need to be installed.

Are they not ment to wirelessly connect to the main box?? Or have I picked that up wrong����
You picked that up wrong All Virgin boxes require a coax cable to work properly.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote