Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Troubleshooting erratic broadband connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Troubleshooting erratic broadband connection

Old 20-04-2020, 13:28   #1
lcotton
cf.member

lcotton is an unknown quantity at this point
Troubleshooting erratic broadband connection

Hi

I have been seeing some very up and down behaviour in my broadband connection (Measuring speed over a period of time shows both US and DS rates are quite erratic and every now and then one, the other or both will drop dramatically - often causing what I'm working on to freeze) and am trying to troubleshoot the reason for it.

Virgin Media is my ISP and I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0:
Hub 3.0 device information
The information below shows current status of this Hub 3.0.

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.1811.401
System up time : 1 days 21h:10m:46s
Network access : Allowed

I have put the Hub in modem mode and am using my own router. As an initial step I upgraded my router (to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800) which has indeed made a difference to the overall average rates (especially US), but has not solved the problem.

Having done some searching and looking at the modem diagnostics page it looks like US power levels are very low (can't seem to add a table to the post, so just had to type the info)

Upstream bonded channels
Channel: 1
Frequency (Hz): 25799976
Power (dBmV): 4.425
Symbol Rate (ksps): 5120
Modulation: 64 qam
Channel ID: 4

Channel 2: 46200000
Frequency (Hz): 5120
Power (dBmV): 4.5
Symbol Rate (ksps):
Channel ID: 1

Channel 3:
Frequency (Hz): 39399991
Power (dBmV): 4.475
Channel ID: 2

Channel 4:
Frequency (Hz): 32600000
Power (dBmV): 4.45
Channel ID: 3

From what I have read on several sites the US power for 64qam should be between roughly 40 and 50dBm - so these values are very low, is that correct ?

Does anyone know what this may indicate ? I was thinking there may be something up with my coax cable, or one of the connections to it. Is it possible to do some measurement/tests to check this ?

I'd be interested to see what the US SNR valus are - does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of that ? (presumably the measurements need to be taken at the other end - wherever that is)

Any suggestions on how else I might go about troubleshooting this ?
lcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2020, 16:58   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Troubleshooting erratic broadband connection

There is a software bug in the SH3 that shows the US power levels with the DP in the wrong position so the power looks 10x too small.

AFAIK the end user cannot see the US SNR. VM would need to check this is satisfactory.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 20-04-2020 at 17:00. Reason: SNR visibility.
heero_yuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 18:13   #3
lcotton
cf.member

lcotton is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Troubleshooting erratic broadband connection

> There is a software bug in the SH3 that shows the US power levels with the DP in the wrong position so the power looks 10x too small.

Ah Ok. US power levels look OK then.

Thank you for that information.

Getting hold of VM at the moment is nearly impossible, but I'll try and get the SNR info anyway.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I might troubleshoot the sudden nosedives in connection speeds ? Bit stuck on where to go next to try and determine cause of the problem.
lcotton is offline   Reply With Quote