Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 22-09-2020, 01:18   #1336
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty993 View Post

Hopefully someone else can verify those are UHD as I suspect.
I feel the same Matty
The picture and sound quality is smashing
I’ve also noticed the search results as per my post further up the thread.
Although it says HD it is far better on my 49inch LG than broadcast HD channels.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2020, 05:19   #1337
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

They say UHD in the search menu - but when you actually go to play them the icon has changed to HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty993 View Post
I have noticed that a lot of films available on Sky Cinema now flag as UHD in search results but only show as HD on the info page for that specific film.

To my eyes, films such as Joker certainly appear to be higher resolution than the usual poor Sky Cinema quality. However, all on demand content, including SD/HD from other providers like ITV, makes my V6 send a 2160p signal to my TV so I cannot be certain that those films are indeed UHD.

A few I've noticed to be UHD: Godfather Parts 1 & 2, Blade Runner Final Cut, Godzilla King of Monsters, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, Captain Phillips, Inglorious Basterds and also the Sky One shows Brassic and Avenue 5.

Hopefully someone else can verify those are UHD as I suspect.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 10:20   #1338
Matty993
cf.member

Matty993 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
I feel the same Matty
The picture and sound quality is smashing
I’ve also noticed the search results as per my post further up the thread.
Although it says HD it is far better on my 49inch LG than broadcast HD channels.
I agree the sound quality seems better too - I did check within the Sonos app and that confirms the audio is still Dolby Digital 5.1 rather than the improved Dolby Digital Plus I've seen used on BT Sport Ultimate. I wonder what sound format Sky Q provides for UHD content.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
They say UHD in the search menu - but when you actually go to play them the icon has changed to HD.
I have noticed the icon changes to HD as you select the film although I then think the picture quality is higher than that of the usual HD on demand quality. This could well be a placebo effect but it seems to me like the labelling of these listings isn't quite complete but the film is UHD - perhaps pending an official announcement?
Matty993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 11:00   #1339
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

The difference in picture quality between SD and HD is obvious - at least it is to my eyes. I would hope that the picture quality between HD and UHD would be equally obvious. I can't test this out for myself but hope to when my 4K TV arrives later this week.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:35   #1340
biddy
cf.member

biddy is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I'm still sceptical.
I have set my v6 to not upscale so that the TV will report the true resolution. This is working as expected on TV channels (576 on BBC1, 1080i on BBCHD, 2160 on BT Sport UHD).

When testing one of the films listed as UHD is does output at 2160
however, when testing any of the normal HD listed films (like Godzilla - 2014), that also outputs at 2160.

Also, no matter what film, the audio stays as standard DD.

Hopefully it is a sign of things coming along though.
biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 17:05   #1341
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I trhink you'll find if you pick any SD material from Catch-Up or OnDemand - the V6 still outputs it at 2160.

Try a Dad's Army episode from Series 4 onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddy View Post
So, I'm still sceptical.
I have set my v6 to not upscale so that the TV will report the true resolution. This is working as expected on TV channels (576 on BBC1, 1080i on BBCHD, 2160 on BT Sport UHD).

When testing one of the films listed as UHD is does output at 2160
however, when testing any of the normal HD listed films (like Godzilla - 2014), that also outputs at 2160.

Also, no matter what film, the audio stays as standard DD.

Hopefully it is a sign of things coming along though.
Old 23-09-2020, 16:55   #1342
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Digital Bitrate has a new channel marked as 'TuneAway 4K Hidden'

EPG Data says

Title
18h00>22h00 Coming Soon
Short event
Extended Event
This channel is coming soon.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 08:46   #1343
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The French Open is to be shown in UHD with HDR on 27 September.

https://advanced-television.com/2020...in-4k-and-hdr/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 15:35   #1344
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The French Open is to be shown in UHD with HDR on 27 September.

https://advanced-television.com/2020...in-4k-and-hdr/
A tweet of confirmation from VM themselves re: 4K tennis.
https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...06702852259842
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 11:07   #1345
ncfc1902
cf.addict

ncfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else think the picture on Eurosport 4K looks far too dark?
ncfc1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 11:10   #1346
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Looks fine here in 4K/HDR - do you have HDR?

Maybe tv is doing something which needs settings changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfc1902 View Post
Old 27-09-2020, 11:12   #1347
ncfc1902
cf.addict

ncfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my TV has HDR, maybe I need to have a play around with the settings. Eurosport 4K just looks so much darker than Eurosport HD

Last edited by ncfc1902; 27-09-2020 at 11:32.
ncfc1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 11:22   #1348
ozsat
cf.mega poster

When you select the channel the tv should report it has switched into HLG mode.

You may need to adjust the settings for HLG - but this should not globally change for non-HLF pictures.

Quote:
Yes my TV has HRD, maybe I need to have a play around with the settings. Eurosport 4K just looks so much darker than Eurosport HD
Old 27-09-2020, 11:30   #1349
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Yes my TV has HRD, maybe I need to have a play around with the settings. Eurosport 4K just looks so much darker than Eurosport HD
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...settings-guide

Quote:
Many viewers have commented that the HDR pictures seen on their TV at home are dimmer than the equivalent SDR pictures. There is a good reason for that which I will discuss below, but thanks to the ability of the eye to adapt, it does not necessarily mean that those dimmer HDR pictures will lead to a poor experience
Old 27-09-2020, 11:46   #1350
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking fine here - the TV reporting that it is in HDR mode, and using BT.2020.
Richardr is offline   Reply With Quote