Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 11-06-2018, 13:36   #571
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Got to agree. The football was not as impressive as planet earth.
What we don’t know is what format they were filmed in.
Have both been filmed in 4K or upscaled from HD.
a green field with men running about or slow mo animals in a vivid and varied beautiful landscape!

when the CL final was on, switching between the two versions showed up the difference.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2018, 14:11   #572
marlman
cf.member

marlman is on a distinguished roadmarlman is on a distinguished road

If i plug my V6 box into HDMI 1 I get the Planet Earth demo if I plug it into HDMI 2 I get the football rolling demo.

So am I right in thinking that it should be in HDMI 2 to get the World Cup?

I will try both when it starts streaming.

It’s a Sony XE9005 TV
marlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:16   #573
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

According to Sony, all the HDMI ports should do it - as long as you've activated Enhanced format:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00167580

EDIT: Sony's content is confusing - for 4K 60fps (which is what the iPlayer content is), then yes it's HDMI 2 or 3:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00167110

Last edited by BenMcr; 11-06-2018 at 14:19.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 20:20   #574
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Yeah enhanced needs to be set.

Get this, last night the V6 actually locked in on HLG and switched my TV into HDR(HLG)mode, with just the 1080i ticked and passthrough options ticked.

But.. my TV said it was 1080i and not 2160p. lol So that's TV into HDR mode for the trial but TV says it was 1080i. How weird. Half way there then, still only having just 2160p and 2160p passthrough ticked gets you all the way there.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 23:47   #575
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...hread-id/38816
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 00:37   #576
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
It maybe 1 minute behind broadcast ! Can they call that 'live'? If next door is on Freeview, you may get plenty of notice on goals!
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:11   #577
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Cable is behind Freeview anyway.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23   #578
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Meaning it could be longer than a minute behind freeview (cable delay + uhd streaming delay).

It could be a couple of penalties behind in a shoot out - you could check whether next door are crying or singing before continuing to watch !?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:46   #579
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It maybe 1 minute behind broadcast ! Can they call that 'live'? If next door is on Freeview, you may get plenty of notice on goals!
Quote:
This is iPlayer being behind, not either Cable or Freeview. Will be the same delay no matter who your normal TV provider is or which device you're accessing the iPlayer UHD trial on.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54   #580
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
This is iPlayer being behind, not either Cable or Freeview. Will be the same delay no matter who your normal TV provider is or which device you're accessing the iPlayer UHD trial on.
So if you want the football as live as can be being there is best(!), closely followed by the radio and freeview. There has always been a delay with cable, particularly noticeable on Sky Sports if you're trying to sync radio commentary which is way ahead ! And this is before the UHD streaming delay is added in.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:58   #581
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Aren't the streams on BBC iPlayer always about a minute behind? I don't think this is a UHD specific issue.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:59   #582
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So if you want the football as live as can be being there is best(!), closely followed by the radio and freeview. There has always been a delay with cable, particularly noticeable on Sky Sports if you're trying to sync radio commentary which is way ahead ! And this is before the UHD streaming delay is added in.
There isn't a cable+UHD delay.

There is an iPlayer delay from the UHD live feed the BBC are taking the football from.

So whether you're watching iPlayer UHD on the V6, or via your built in iPlayer app when you're using Freeview on your TV, you'll get the same delay.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:17   #583
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There isn't a cable+UHD delay.

There is an iPlayer delay from the UHD live feed the BBC are taking the football from.

So whether you're watching iPlayer UHD on the V6, or via your built in iPlayer app when you're using Freeview on your TV, you'll get the same delay.
Was talking about normal Freeview Ben, not UHD stream. The price for UHD is for the game not to be 'live'.
Old 12-06-2018, 13:55   #584
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Heres a good thought if i dont get a UHD slot for the football World Cup can i claim a Tv licence fee refund as i will only watch the World Cup games and i dont watch anything else on the BBC using my Licence, i pay my Licence and demand i use my License fee to get a slot, thats my rant for the day lol
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 14:00   #585
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Heres a good thought if i dont get a UHD slot for the football World Cup can i claim a Tv licence fee refund as i will only watch the World Cup games and i dont watch anything else on the BBC using my Licence, i pay my Licence and demand i use my License fee to get a slot, thats my rant for the day lol
Your licence fee covers access to BBC content, it doesn't specify the format.

The World Cup will also be in HD on iPlayer. The UHD streams are additional to the standard coverage.