Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 07-06-2018, 14:22   #526
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

there are two UHD streams, one is planet earth and one is football.

yesterday it was animals on the LG inbuilt app and football on the V6.

whereas the LG one previously had the football as well.

so they change it, ive not checked the v6 today, ill see if its switched when i get back in a bit.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2018, 14:34   #527
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, but if UHD was not now being shown, we wouldn't be having this debate. This is only a trial at the moment, and we have had no UHD dramas yet.

I certainly don't begrudge sports fans getting this first, though.
UHD football has been available via sky all last season, yet BBC is still pfaffing about with a trial.

My point is that if say 100,000 want to watch in UHD the majority will be fuming as there is a limit on availability.

I think this is going to cause a lot of problems for BBC, and a lot of furious customers (not that BBC care as they are a monopoly who get our money wether they deserve it or not)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 14:43   #528
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...but the BBC will include HDR whereas Sky UHD is just that - no HDR.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:54   #529
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...but the BBC will include HDR whereas Sky UHD is just that - no HDR.
At the moment yes..........next season I'm pretty sure HDR will be available.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 20:54   #530
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

hey im not anti the BBC, I quite like it etc etc but I think we can be honest and say this is a bad setup considering the known dates of the world cup.

I would think most would be happy with SDR 4K right now as even that looks great compared to SDR 1080P. if eurosport can do it, there really is zero excuse for the BBC.

although I personally think this is probably the goal, force the BBC to cut down to the bone so private services can dominate...
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 22:20   #531
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
I would think most would be happy with SDR 4K right now as even that looks great compared to SDR 1080P. if eurosport can do it, there really is zero excuse for the BBC.
It's not the same.

Eurosport 4K was only available on satellite and cable providers, whereas the BBC have to use a method that is technically available to all licence fee payers.

So on the V6, Eurosport 4K was a hidden broadcast channel, not a broadband carried stream that iPlayer is.

So I can understand why the BBC have targeted this as a trial of live HLG, as that probably don't (yet) have the capacity or experience to offer an open access full live 4K stream for the World Cup in any format through iPlayer.
Old 08-06-2018, 00:30   #532
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
It depends what tv you have. Are you sure it is HLG compatible?

For me it is the other way round as I don't have the latest v6 software update yet.
Yes it's compatible. And I see the HLG trial through the V6, Planet Earth 2. There are three ways I can access the iplayer, via the TV itself, panny uhd player and V6. It's only on the V6 that the HLG trial shows up and it looks great.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:22   #533
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Is it just a case of if a TV isn't on the list that the BBC iPlayer hasn't been updated on the TV because my Sammy ks9000 isn't but I can watch the hlg feed via the V6 iPlayer?
Old 08-06-2018, 13:40   #534
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Is it just a case of if a TV isn't on the list that the BBC iPlayer hasn't been updated on the TV because my Sammy ks9000 isn't but I can watch the hlg feed via the V6 iPlayer?
It looks like the V6 is the key. People are reporting that they can see the trial through their V6 but not if they go through the apps on their TVs.

With the most up to date TVs you can access it on both.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 14:22   #535
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Just purchased a 4K TV, arriving a week Saturday!

It is one of the BBC supported ones, so should work?

Last edited by oxfordmark; 08-06-2018 at 15:09.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 14:30   #536
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
Just purchased a 4K TV, arriving Saturday!

It is one of the BBC supported ones, so should work?
Nice one, just in time for the world cup
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 20:04   #537
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Are the UHD broadcasts limited to the First X thousand or open for anyone?

Last edited by oxfordmark; 08-06-2018 at 20:13.
Old 08-06-2018, 20:24   #538
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It is limited to "tens of thousands" but they have not said how many "tens".

It is good that most of those without the right kit are being blocked - so they can not hold capacity needed for those with the correct kit.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 20:26   #539
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
It is limited to "tens of thousands" but they have not said how many "tens".

It is good that most of those without the right kit are being blocked - so they can not hold capacity needed for those with the correct kit.
I saw that if your not on 4k you'll revert to HD. Will you know whether your on HD or 4k?
Old 08-06-2018, 20:28   #540
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Those without the correct kit are NOT seeing the LIVE stream test at all. They just see the Planet Earth demo. Hopefully that will apply to the main live football.

Your TiVo video output should be set to the two 2160p options only - with all other resolutions unticked.

Your tv will tell you if its HLG.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote