Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Outages - 27 Apr 2020

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media Outages - 27 Apr 2020
Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2020, 22:45   #46
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Outages - 27 Apr 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Some sites were also loading fine, this one wasn't and a gaming site I frequent, was also not working, just said no dns, yet Twitter, Sky News were all working.
Can't be a Virgin DNS issue as the drops are occuring for those like myself who don't use VM DNS,

Hopefully they know what the problem is and are either working in it or have solved it.
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2020, 22:50   #47
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

These issues also appear to be affecting BT, Sky and TalkTalk.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-media-uk.html

Quote:
UPDATE 9:06pm

A quick look at some feedback from customers of Sky Broadband, BT and TalkTalk suggests that they too also saw some disruption around the same three periods, albeit seemingly not to the same level as Virgin Media (i.e. the complaints have not been to the same scale or volume). The issue at BT was however much bigger than the other two, but that may just reflect the operator’s size as the biggest ISP.

We know that some of these operators do make use of capacity links from Virgin Media, although equally the issue could be further up the routing/peering chain. At present there are three clear peaks of related complaints at around 5:30pm, 6:15pm and 7:12-7:29pm.
Old 28-04-2020, 00:18   #48
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Some sort of core network or routing issue by the sound of it.
Wierd that its always about 18 minutes past, and lasts about 10 minutes (and also seems to have bypassed 8:18pm and now 10:18pm)

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Here we go again, 11:18

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 28-04-2020, 00:24   #49
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Hehe I think mine was a little earlier. It resolved itself to some websites quicker (continuous ping to bbc.co.uk came back in about 2mins).
Old 28-04-2020, 00:33   #50
johnnyposs
Baldie Bouncer

Services: 10mb BB
johnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about them

Mine went down again at 23:18. years ago i phoned NTL up up and said my BB keeps going down at 6pm. He said it was impossible. He phoned me up before 6 and said i am watching. It went down at 6 and he swore. been fine ever since tonight
Old 28-04-2020, 01:12   #51
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyposs View Post
Mine went down again at 23:18. years ago i phoned NTL up up and said my BB keeps going down at 6pm. He said it was impossible. He phoned me up before 6 and said i am watching. It went down at 6 and he swore. been fine ever since tonight
Back when customer service was REAL customer service.... shame. Anyway my connection has gone again 00:09.
Old 28-04-2020, 02:19   #52
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Back when customer service was REAL customer service.... shame. Anyway my connection has gone again 00:09.
aye mine did too. its a shame the call centres are in india now. i know with the pandemic its probably daft as the call centres wouldnt be open but it just sucks now that even if you have a fault you wont be able to get any help. i really like the indian staff too but sometimes you get one who literally cant understand what you're saying and i feel so sorry for them.

with all the price rises im just bamboozled why they think this cost cutting process is a good way to get new customers or keep existing customers
Old 28-04-2020, 09:21   #53
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sky News have a piece up on it

Quote:
We know that this is not being caused by increased usage or a lack of capacity but is due to a network technical fault.

Our teams are urgently looking into the problem and working flat out to fix it. We know how frustrating this is for customers and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
https://news.sky.com/story/virgin-me...snt-sf-twitter
Old 28-04-2020, 09:48   #54
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Prob with virgin tv and internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Can you not tether your phone , that's what i did whilst it was down ?
Cool idea if you have an unlimited SIM.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

I find this a useful indication of the disruption different ISPs are getting.

https://downdetector.co.uk/
Old 28-04-2020, 10:19   #55
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Prob with virgin tv and internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just been up and down in NW Leeds
And what about your broadband Hugh ? .
Old 28-04-2020, 10:53   #56
MattGarner
cf.member

MattGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Would love to know what actually caused the problems last night.
Old 28-04-2020, 11:01   #57
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I was affected and am posting this as a customer, I don't (yet) know what the problem was.
The line seemed mostly stable as my VPN remained up apart from 1 glitch but router reported internet down and browsing didn't work or at least didn't seem to but some computers in house remained OK until tried to get to new site.
To me this looks like something related to DNS (not VM's DNS as I don't use it) or starting new connections. It impacted by browser on VPN too.
Using nslookup - DNS on router (OpenDNS failed) but setting server to say Google DNS and things worked or at least resolved.
$ nslookup
nslookup> www.bbc.co.uk
<can't contact server>
nslookup> server 8.8.8.8
nslookup> www.bbc.co.uk
<resolves>
nslookup> <router>
nslookup> www.bbc.co.uk
<can't resolve>
Old 28-04-2020, 11:05   #58
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post
Would love to know what actually caused the problems last night.
Indeed as Virgin stated a hour ago that the issue was fixed in the early hours of this morning. It was not caused by a spike in usage or a lack of network capacity.
Old 28-04-2020, 11:15   #59
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It shows clearly on my BQM at the times posted by other members but it didn't seem to affect my browsing session or the TV. Suggests it was only affecting parts of the network.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:00   #60
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It shows clearly on my BQM at the times posted by other members but it didn't seem to affect my browsing session or the TV. Suggests it was only affecting parts of the network.
If you were watching linear TV on the network it’d be unaffected. On demand should have went down.
Closed Thread