Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government & Post Election Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Government & Post Election Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 29-06-2017, 12:30   #136
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
that's not how it works in the public sector Smurf. Even if you exceed targets you've still been getting less than inflation over the last 7 years.
Why all this bleating about the public sector?

There is very little difference between public sector and private sector.

There are equally, probably alot more, lower paid workers in the private sector that do just as important jobs.

Wages in both sectors have failed to increase over the past years. Working at NTL/VM I remember after the Dot.Com crash in 2000 we didn't get a pay rise for something like 5 years - 0%. Not 1%. Even now as The Smuf point out 2% is the median and has been for over a decade meaning many only get 1% or less.

Yes bankers, CEO's etc get big money.

But there is big money in the public sector

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stigation.html

Difference is, that is tax payers money. You want to complain, complain about that.
Old 29-06-2017, 13:33   #137
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Why all this bleating about the public sector?

There is very little difference between public sector and private sector.

There are equally, probably alot more, lower paid workers in the private sector that do just as important jobs.

Wages in both sectors have failed to increase over the past years. Working at NTL/VM I remember after the Dot.Com crash in 2000 we didn't get a pay rise for something like 5 years - 0%. Not 1%. Even now as The Smuf point out 2% is the median and has been for over a decade meaning many only get 1% or less.

Yes bankers, CEO's etc get big money.

But there is big money in the public sector

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stigation.html

Difference is, that is tax payers money. You want to complain, complain about that.
The 1% quoted is in fact a ceiling not an automatic pay rise. Relatively few people even get the 1%. In the area of the public sector I work, the rewards in the private sector are significantly better if you're lucky enough to get in.
I'm sure you're correct about some at the top of the food chain in the public sector raking it in, tho' I doubt your link will provide any rational insight to the issue.
Old 29-06-2017, 14:29   #138
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
They can wrap it up whatever way they want but they are totally ineffective now and were straight after the General Election results and no amount of moving the chairs around on board the sinking ship will convince the country any different.
Sorry Den but that's not right, they will be ineffective if they cannot get bills passed in to law, if the opposition puts an amendment forward or the government wants to get a bill passed, they are ineffective if they consistently get voted down, or a bill fails to get passed.

They have the numbers, however small they are to be effective, even it means just a majority of 1, it's not ideal, but it's effective because it is still a pass, if its a bill or a vote down, if it's an amendment.
Old 29-06-2017, 14:51   #139
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Sorry Den but that's not right, they will be ineffective if they cannot get bills passed in to law, if the opposition puts an amendment forward or the government wants to get a bill passed, they are ineffective if they consistently get voted down, or a bill fails to get passed.

They have the numbers, however small they are to be effective, even it means just a majority of 1, it's not ideal, but it's effective because it is still a pass, if its a bill or a vote down, if it's an amendment.
Most of the bills they have are Brexit bills so l can't see much problem there with those going through as the vast majority of Conservative and labour MP's will generally support them.

Therever with the other bills and amendments they will have to adapt and negotiate to the new circumstances of parliament which they are now in given the maths we now have as whether it was the Conservative or Labour party were the governing party the sentiment still remains the same as where we are now and l think you know why we are now in this position as do most people...

Last edited by denphone; 29-06-2017 at 14:56.
Old 29-06-2017, 14:53   #140
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

They could have voted for the amendment without bringing down the bill. The amendment would simply be part of the bill they'll vote on today and I doubt the amendment would have stopped the Queen's Speech being voted for.

It was a very effective bit of politics from the opposition though, the Tories lose either way.
Old 29-06-2017, 14:57   #141
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They could have voted for the amendment without bringing down the bill. The amendment would simply be part of the bill they'll vote on today and I doubt the amendment would have stopped the Queen's Speech being voted for.

It was a very effective bit of politics from the opposition though, the Tories lose either way.
If the positions were reversed l am pretty sure they would do the same.
Old 29-06-2017, 15:01   #142
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don't actually understand why the Tories judged to be politically more tolerable to vote it down than accept the amendment. I assume there was a good reason why the amendment passing was bad for them that I am missing
Old 29-06-2017, 18:13   #143
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Queen speech survives Government votes.

Ayes: 323 Noes: 309 Majority: 14

The Ayes have it, the ayes have it!
Old 29-06-2017, 18:19   #144
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't actually understand why the Tories judged to be politically more tolerable to vote it down than accept the amendment. I assume there was a good reason why the amendment passing was bad for them that I am missing
Because they will never accept anything that Corbyn suggests. They will do it in their own time table

I predict the 1% cap will be removed within the next 18months.
Old 29-06-2017, 18:33   #145
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Plenty of people deserve more than they're getting outside the public sector, in fact many more of them given the numbers employed in each sector. Public sector pensions may not be as good as they were but many private sector workers have no pension at all.
Old 29-06-2017, 19:38   #146
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Plenty of people deserve more than they're getting outside the public sector, in fact many more of them given the numbers employed in each sector. Public sector pensions may not be as good as they were but many private sector workers have no pension at all.
Yeah but the government has less direct control over the private sector. I don't see it as a race to the bottom whereby the public sector should be compared against the bottom of the private sector.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Because they will never accept anything that Corbyn suggests. They will do it in their own time table

I predict the 1% cap will be removed within the next 18months.
Yeah but it seems worse to me to be seen to have voted it down (and the unwise relief they showed) than being seen to accept a Labour amendment.
Old 29-06-2017, 20:06   #147
RizzyKing

Blame the corbynistas Damien if the tories had accepted it they would have been straight onto social media saying it showed corbyn should be running things UK politics has rarely been in such a sorry state.

Old 29-06-2017, 20:11   #148
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Yeah but the government has less direct control over the private sector. I don't see it as a race to the bottom whereby the public sector should be compared against the bottom of the private sector.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Yeah but it seems worse to me to be seen to have voted it down (and the unwise relief they showed) than being seen to accept a Labour amendment.
Ah the old 'race to the bottom' argument. Tell that to those who are at the bottom most of whom are in the private sector.
Old 29-06-2017, 20:22   #149
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I believe that everyone deserves more money, no matter what job they have.

The biggest problems we have is the employer.
You have the small employer, who has to scrape by. Who employs say 5 workers. They pay there staff wages, plus bonus.

I used to work a company like that. I done 'price work' the more work you done, the more you got. But it nearly ruined my marriage. Did't see my kids grow up as l was always working. It nearly killed me.

A very good mate of mine said. You work to live, not live to work. How right he was.

I have worked for a company that paid me £19.000 per year. That was the same pay l left on four years later He didn't pay bonus, each xmas l got a £10.00 voucher for a meal at a local restaurant.

Employers now, think of one thing, what profit they can make. And know that they can hire employees on the cheap. Big companies don't care of the worker at ground level.

I met a mate of mine yesterday, and he was road sweeping for an agency. He told me that the local council pay the agency £15.00 per hour for his services. He gets £8.50. Whose making the profit here.

If you go to the job centre. 90% of the time - its an agency, that you go to. And wage is dismal.

Whose making the money.

Its about time Labour, and the Conservatives thought about the 'worker' at the end of the day. As if it wasn't through them. Most of there work wouldn't get done
Old 29-06-2017, 20:39   #150
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I believe that everyone deserves more money, no matter what job they have.

The biggest problems we have is the employer.
You have the small employer, who has to scrape by. Who employs say 5 workers. They pay there staff wages, plus bonus.

I used to work a company like that. I done 'price work' the more work you done, the more you got. But it nearly ruined my marriage. Did't see my kids grow up as l was always working. It nearly killed me.

A very good mate of mine said. You work to live, not live to work. How right he was.

I have worked for a company that paid me £19.000 per year. That was the same pay l left on four years later He didn't pay bonus, each xmas l got a £10.00 voucher for a meal at a local restaurant.

Employers now, think of one thing, what profit they can make. And know that they can hire employees on the cheap. Big companies don't care of the worker at ground level.

I met a mate of mine yesterday, and he was road sweeping for an agency. He told me that the local council pay the agency £15.00 per hour for his services. He gets £8.50. Whose making the profit here.

If you go to the job centre. 90% of the time - its an agency, that you go to. And wage is dismal.

Whose making the money.

Its about time Labour, and the Conservatives thought about the 'worker' at the end of the day. As if it wasn't through them. Most of there work wouldn't get done
i worked for an agency for a few weeks i would never do it again i agree about what they pay its terrible but as for every one deserves more money what are the economics behind this gesture .