Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cancelled Sky. Can I still use it for Freeview?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Cancelled Sky. Can I still use it for Freeview?

Old 15-11-2012, 12:14   #16
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cancelled Sky. Can I still use it for Freeview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Cheers everyone!

Can a Freesat box work with the Sky satellite? Ariel has always been dodgy in our house which is why I am keen to maintain the connection...
Yep as simple as just plugging it in.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2012, 12:18   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The two services use the same signals from the same satellites.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:24   #18
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Ive been looking at Freesat as an alternitive if i cant afford Sky or VM. Im not sure which Freesat servie is better, normal Freeesat or Freesat from Sky. Anyone know which is beter? Also why is Dave not on Freesat but on Freeview? Thats one of the main reasons i dont like Freesat at momen
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:29   #19
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Have a look here nash: http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/faqs/on-demand
It seems that it depends upon the Freesat box you have
Thanks for the link. I looked up my box number & it said on demand was coming soon with my box.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 18:12   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Ive been looking at Freesat as an alternitive if i cant afford Sky or VM. Im not sure which Freesat servie is better, normal Freeesat or Freesat from Sky. Anyone know which is beter? Also why is Dave not on Freesat but on Freeview? Thats one of the main reasons i dont like Freesat at momen
The only benefit that is really claimed for FreesatFromSky so far as I can see is that it gives you an upgrade path if you later decide to subscribe - Sky will be able to 'hit' the subscriber card in your Sky box to convert it into a fully-functioning Sky box. I don't see how that's any kind of benefit though, because the chances are if you ever decide you want Sky you'll find someone offering free installation and you will then have a free Sky box and a second Freesat box you can put in a spare room.

The downsides of FSFS - and they are major IMO - are that in the meantime, all the Sky channels are in the FSFS EPG, which makes navigating by channel up/down a right PITA; and if you have a Sky+ box working in so-called 'free'sat mode you still need to pay Sky a monthly fee to keep the record functionality working.

I have just upgraded from an old Sky Pace SD box that has been operating in FSFS mode for the past 3 years, to a Freesat PVR. I have the Echostar box which has Sling functionality built in (very handy for streaming the box to a computer elsewhere in the house via WiFi LAN). Also we have had Freesat in our holiday flat for some years now.

I much prefer 'proper' Freesat to Sky's offering. The EPG is uncluttered by channels I can't get and, best of all, I can record as much as I darned well like without paying anybody a penny.

Dave does not appear on any free satellite service. The channel is encrypted and subject to an exclusive satellite carriage deal with Sky. That deal does not extend to terrestrial broadcast so they put it out in the clear on Freeview, but they have no plans to upset the apple cart with Sky and do the same on Freesat. Believe me, lots of people have asked them, me included. Who knows though, if enough people eventually have a Freesat box they may feel there is more to be gained by reaching a bigger audience than there is by taking the shilling from Sky to keep the channel locked up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 21:23   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Cheers everyone! Might change to a Freesat box so I can continue to record and have iPlayer on there too...
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 11:12   #22
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Thanks for the info Chris
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 17:17   #23
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

They phoned and offered 50% off, no contract, for a year. So staying with them.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 17:23   #24
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They phoned and offered 50% off, no contract, for a year. So staying with them.
Nice outcome , glad it worked out for you.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote