Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 24-12-2011, 20:19   #811
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Given there are 17 of them there in Leicester's own hub site now, 4 of which are Motorola BSRs VM must have been pretty busy getting the other 16 onto the network in such a short time, and of course there is also the minor issue that Leicester is served by more than one hub site, so VM must've done something pretty special and made Leicester pretty unique for a city served by Leicester and Northfields (which has 12 VXRs and 2x10k) to all be hooked to a single uBR.

I must admit I struggle to see exactly why VM would put 2 Motorola BSRs into my hub with its 4 VXRs, one of which was only half full, and only use 1 for a site with 13 VXRs.

If space were a problem they'd either wait until more space was available or do a displacement build, swapping VXRs for BSRs directly.

That was well worth clicking the 'View Post' button for.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
I cannot remember exactly where i got the info of one UBR from, but it was mentioned in the leics LE3 thread on here which you took part in. However as that thread is so long I dont have the motivation now to dig through it looking for specifics. I never did say my info was right tho just based on what I had previously been told.

One thing I do remember is when I questioned if one ubr is not enough for a city, you did reply saying there was nothing unusual about it and we had that discussion about the population of the city and the takeup levels.

Whether or not this was a misunderstanding or just to mislead me so you can correct me later on I will never know but that thread is where it was previously discussed.

In regards to the other hub site I havent seen any city of leics properties using it although I was already aware of it serving part of leicestershire.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:

Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
The obvious question to this is if VM are ok sharing one set of downstream channels to multiple nodes, why do they feel the need to split off the upstreams isolating the 2 nodes from each other on the upstreams?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2011, 11:26   #812
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
... majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k.
I'm glad to see someone with a knowledge of cable workings post this. I'm pretty convinced that a single 100Mbps user is what has taken my area down the tubes because of the speed it happened and the obvious steps in TBB graphs which must be caused by the actions of a single user to happen so often.

The next question of course is why did VM with years of running their networks permit it to happen?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 17:10   #813
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
II'm pretty convinced that a single 100Mbps user is what has taken my area down the tubes because of the speed it happened and the obvious steps in TBB graphs which must be caused by the actions of a single user to happen so often.
It could have been me. Yesterday we downloaded my wife's work files, (25Gb), from Livedrive to her local machine. Download rate >8MB (yes MB). At the same time browsing, video streaming and gaming were happening in the house without problems. This is what 100Mb was designed for.

Are you saying I should have been happy with <6MB download speed because VM should not have sold me the 100Mb service?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 02:09   #814
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

dont know who is taking mine out but it was rock solid before they did some changes network end
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:02   #815
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Are you saying I should have been happy with <6MB download speed because VM should not have sold me the 100Mb service?
I quite frankly don't care how much you download or how fast because you are not even in the same town let alone the same node as me.

It is possible that some of your neighbours are wondering why their iPlayer was constantly rebuffering yesterday but then again maybe not - it just depends on how many were trying to use the remaining bandwidth on your node. That shouldn't bother you of course because, as you say, you are using the 100Mbps service exactly as it is advertised to be used.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 13:46   #816
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
The obvious question to this is if VM are ok sharing one set of downstream channels to multiple nodes, why do they feel the need to split off the upstreams isolating the 2 nodes from each other on the upstreams?
The obvious answer would be (I'm guessing) because upstream bonding doesn't work yet.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:47   #817
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The obvious answer would be (I'm guessing) because upstream bonding doesn't work yet.
They dont need to bond.

I think you have misunderstood my question.

eg. on docsis1 VM share 4 channels between all users in a given pool. But the users can only use 1 channel at a time.

In uplifted areas a pool of users share eg. 4 downstream channels but that pool of users is split into 2 seperate 2x upstream channel pools not all sharing the same upstream channels so its possible for one half to have good upstream and the other to have congested, or have I got this wrong?
Old 31-12-2011, 16:34   #818
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It's for capacity, spectrum usage and SNR, smaller nodes have better SNR as there's less devices and taps on them to cause noise, having nodes physically segmented means that the same clean frequencies can be used rather than having to extensively stack, it reduces laser load as there's less RF hitting the node and 2 x 18Mbps for each node is twice the capacity of splitting 2 channels between them.

It makes perfect sense to do this, indeed VM have always done it. It was far from uncommon for ntl and Telewest to split a downstream across 2 or more nodes while having the 6 upstream ports split between them on an MC16 card.

EDIT: Just FYI upstream bonding works fine however it required new line cards on both 10k and BSR, the BSR requires the RX48, the 10k needs the MC20X20V or MC3GX60V.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 22:21   #819
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Been like this for nearly 2 days now. :/
And no, I'm not downloading anything.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:17   #820
Mr.A.2009
Inactive

Mr.A.2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything before 3pm was on upstream channel 3. After resetting the modem countless times to try and change the upstream channel, i was finally put on channel 2. As you can see my connection has improved 10 fold
Mr.A.2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:18   #821
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

classic VM load balancing in action
Old 08-01-2012, 17:22   #822
JeDuK
Inactive

Services: VM 50mb_Superhub
JeDuK is an unknown quantity at this point

how you make it switch channel?? switch on/off or press small rest button?
JeDuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:22   #823
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

yeah power cycle it and hope, in my view reseting the config to factory defaults helps on the superhub.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:33   #824
Mr.A.2009
Inactive

Mr.A.2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDuK View Post
how you make it switch channel?? switch on/off or press small rest button?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
yeah power cycle it and hope, in my view reseting the config to factory defaults helps on the superhub.
Restore to factory default through super hub settings. Make sure you take note as to which channel you were on before hand.
Mr.A.2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:59   #825
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

What channel Ids are there for upstream as mine is already on 2 and i am getting high utilisation at peak times judging by my graph! Should i try and get on another channel by power cycling as my levels are all fine and i have already had a repull?

Below is what my graph looked like on Christmas day when no one was online over Christmas, and it looks fine.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote