Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ - to be FREE??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky+ - to be FREE??

Old 17-08-2005, 17:15   #1
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu
Sky+ - to be FREE??

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23613.html

Looks like they are considering this business model,presumably to complete with NTL and Telewest's forthcoming PVR......

If NTL's PVR turns out to be free, then it might be worthwhile to existing Sky+ subscribers to drop to the freeview only and get NTL PVR. That way they will have x2 PVRs.....

Not quite sure which forum to post this in btw....
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2005, 17:20   #2
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Re: Sky+ - to be FREE??

I thought NTL were going to offer VOD instead of a PVR? If they are going to offer a PVR what is the point in setting up VOD?
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 17:22   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

I *think* you need to be paying either £10.00 a month or having a Sky package + at least 2 premium channels to get the PVR functions activated on a Sky+ box.

Without that the box is just a standard Sky box.

It makes sense to give the boxes away with a new contract. Get people used to the technology and they will be less likely to move elsewhere and if they keep the need to have the Sports or Movies then it will probably pay for itself fairly quickly.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 17:37   #4
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
If they are going to offer a PVR what is the point in setting up VOD?
They are complimentary products. VOD may not store the obscure angling program on the discovery channel H&L, PVR enables you to catch that.
VOD enables you to not think about recording something, but watch it any time anyway. It is also much better for movie rental as it offers a product that competes with DVD rental (pause, rewind, watch again for 24 hrs).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 17:41   #5
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
It is also much better for movie rental as it offers a product that competes with DVD rental (pause, rewind, watch again for 24 hrs).
You can do that with Sky+ for Box Office movies.
Old 17-08-2005, 18:32   #6
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough

Given the choice of VOD or PVR (on par with Sky+) I know that I (and many others) would choose the PVR.
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 18:46   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
You can do that with Sky+ for Box Office movies.
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie. What percentage of the Sky userbase is Sky+? A minority I imagine (though probably the majority of Sky users on forums such as this). Sky can only do this when a £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ box is installed in the users house, and then only on the screen that box is attached too, Sky multiroom does not allow you this functionality on the second box VOD allows it on all boxes.

As I have said complimentary technology.

The other thing to consider is in this multichannel world the need to record is dramatically diminished due to regular rerun. I missed Lost on Wednesday eve, instead of being annoyed about it, it was a case of establishing when on C4/E4 it was next shown, this was Sat PM, Sun PM (second chance sunday) and then again straight after - I think Lost played for about 8 hrs continuously from 8pm on E4 2nd Chance Sunday last week.

VOD has other benefits, if I have a screaming 2yr old on my hands who wants to watch Balamory right now, I can tell him to get stuffed as thats not on the telly (the right answer) or playback from VOD, for the PVRed user they would have to have had the foresight to record it (and of course find their 2 yr old wants to watch Spongebob instead).

I've used the SA8000 PVR box on the Time Warner cable system in the US and when that or similar alongside VOD is rolled out cable will certainly be a superior product to Sky.
Old 17-08-2005, 20:17   #8
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
I *think* you need to be paying either £10.00 a month or having a Sky package + at least 2 premium channels to get the PVR functions activated on a Sky+ box.
More or less.

If you want Sky+ and you're paying less than £30 a month (ie if you have the basic or family pack), you get stuck for a £10 charge to get it.

Of course the cheapest package with two premium channels (ie movies 2, 4, 6 and 8 and basic Sky Sports) costs £30...!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 11:05   #9
Salu
Inactive

Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze

My point was more around if Sky were to give away Sky+ then as I now have Sky+ and I leave to get NTL's PVR I will still have a Sky+ box, as I have bought it.
If they are giving Sky+ away the question is what are they giving away? The box or the £10 subscription to use it....or both?

I may be left with a Sky+ box that only can recieve the basic channels but be able to time shift....and get NTL's PVR giving me a great amount of recording power....
Old 18-08-2005, 12:33   #10
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
My point was more around if Sky were to give away Sky+ then as I now have Sky+ and I leave to get NTL's PVR I will still have a Sky+ box, as I have bought it.
If they are giving Sky+ away the question is what are they giving away? The box or the £10 subscription to use it....or both?

I may be left with a Sky+ box that only can recieve the basic channels but be able to time shift....and get NTL's PVR giving me a great amount of recording power....
AFAIK It wouldn't work as a PVR if you left sky, for the PRV function you have to subscribe.
Old 18-08-2005, 13:26   #11
Salu
Inactive

Quote:
AFAIK It wouldn't work as a PVR if you left sky, for the PRV function you have to subscribe.
That is true at the moment as you have to pay but if Sky were to make it available to everyone then this may not be the case.......
Old 18-08-2005, 13:37   #12
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
That is true at the moment as you have to pay but if Sky were to make it available to everyone then this may not be the case.......
A lot will depend on what the reserved 80 Gb portion of the new Sky+ boxes will be used for. If it is for revenue generating purposes then it could be in their interest to drop the £10 per month charge for its use. They could use the 80 Gb to allow users access to programmes that are not part of their subscribed plan, at a cost of course.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 16:46   #13
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie.
Beg to differ, NTL have not universally rolled out digital tv.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 17:11   #14
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
But 'in time' they will. Either that or just burn down the relevant sections of Leicester and Londonderry to avoid having to upgrade the network.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 11:09   #15
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Quote:
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie.
I did say digital TV customer, clarifying that analogue tv customers would not benefit.