Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 29-07-2017, 01:35   #136
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

It's going to happen either way. The car companies are moving in that direction and the flexibility it gives to government energy policy is appealing as well. People are arguing as if this isn't already the path we're on. Maybe a government can come in and mandate we scale back plans to implement electric stations and promote petrol but it would be the same as a government coming in attempting to promote the post over e-mail. This is the path technology is taking.

The problem isn't charging stations but generating the energy. Governments need to look at that. We need more nuclear power plants, we need to look at integrating more solar energy into the network.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2017, 06:49   #137
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Old people are like that Dave
You will of course be like that one day and with that can come considered thought and pangs of wisdom young chap of course along with a few senior moments as well.

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's going to happen either way. The car companies are moving in that direction and the flexibility it gives to government energy policy is appealing as well. People are arguing as if this isn't already the path we're on. Maybe a government can come in and mandate we scale back plans to implement electric stations and promote petrol but it would be the same as a government coming in attempting to promote the post over e-mail. This is the path technology is taking.

The problem isn't charging stations but generating the energy. Governments need to look at that. We need more nuclear power plants, we need to look at integrating more solar energy into the network.
Our future energy plans for the future have not exactly been great these last 40 years have they?.
Old 29-07-2017, 07:33   #138
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
We've been using them for 12 months or so and having used them they seem pretty fit for purpose.

http://news.leeds.gov.uk/power-surge...goes-electric/

I heard someone mention a few weeks ago that the plan is to make electric vehicles the default going forward and anything else will require a business case.

It does make me smile when people just seem so opposed to change.

Cheers

Dave
but then if i wanted an electric vehicle i would already own one . i don't and have no plans to buy one , anyway a future government might scrap the idea as an unattainable pipe dream .
Old 29-07-2017, 11:28   #139
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Future governments may not have a choice.

If there is a general move to electric and hybrid cars across the world, then it's very unlikely that car manufactures would continue to build full petrol or diesel cars for a single market. That's irrespective of what sort of trading relationship with have with countries.

So we can either look to move in the same direction and the government can ensure that we have the appropriate infrastructure, or we can ignore it, and wonder why we have a limited car market.
Old 29-07-2017, 11:45   #140
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You will of course be like that one day and with that can come considered thought and pangs of wisdom young chap of course along with a few senior moments as well.
But I won't be old before my time .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

If there is a general move to electric and hybrid cars across the world, then it's very unlikely that car manufactures would continue to build full petrol or diesel cars for a single market. That's irrespective of what sort of trading relationship with have with countries.

So we can either look to move in the same direction and the government can ensure that we have the appropriate infrastructure, or we can ignore it, and wonder why we have a limited car market.
Spot on. We can't resist the irresistible especially when it makes perfect sense. We should be on this course now not in 20 years time.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:46   #141
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

hybrids i could go for [petrol/diesel and electric ] but full electric i don't see it
Old 29-07-2017, 11:49   #142
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
hybrids i could go for [petrol/diesel and electric ] but full electric i don't see it
A good start papa; it shows willing. But full electric will happen and I think you'll look back at the old days of ridiculous combustion pollution and think "omg". Do it for the little smurfs .
Old 29-07-2017, 11:51   #143
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
But I won't be old before my time .

Spot on. We can't resist the irresistible especially when it makes perfect sense. We should be on this course now not in 20 years time.
Q how do you get to be so old
A by not being cheeky to your elders
Old 29-07-2017, 11:53   #144
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Q how do you get to be so old
A by not being cheeky to your elders
I put Den at about, hmm, 104? Sadly
Old 29-07-2017, 11:55   #145
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
A good start papa; it shows willing. But full electric will happen and I think you'll look back at the old days of ridiculous combustion pollution and think "omg". Do it for the little smurfs .
little they're bigger than me

i think in the future if i have a mobility scooter i will take the vacuum cleaner motor out of it and fit a Harley 1200 a man needs street cred .

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Quote:
thats sad
Old 29-07-2017, 11:55   #146
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The E class awaits for you then.
Old 29-07-2017, 11:55   #147
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
little they're bigger than me

i think in the future if i have a mobility scooter i will take the vacuum cleaner motor out of it and fit a Harley 1200 a man needs street cred .
Not sure your motability contract will allow that

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The E class awaits for you then.
Mercedes?
Old 29-07-2017, 11:57   #148
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
i'll do a diddle i've learned a lot on this forum
Old 29-07-2017, 12:01   #149
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
PIP-a-dee doo dah
PIP-a-dee yay
My oh my
Benefits coming your way
Old 29-07-2017, 12:05   #150
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

Mercedes?
I was thinking more along the lines of educational young man.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
All good l hope as we like to keep people on the straight and narrow.