Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 24-02-2018, 12:18   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So to stand on its own 2 feet that would mean the BBC advertising and an end to programming that doesn't make a profit?? It would just become ITV/Sky or any of the other rubbish channels, of which we have hundreds. More down market reality TV, less quality drama and documentaries.
It's not just 2 channels either it's several channels, plus it's radio, local and national, and the website. All provided without advertising, it would be hard to totally avoid using it. It comes out at about £12 a month, compared to Sky/VM it's a bargain, many of their channels are just repeating BBC content.
No, the argument is for a subscription rather than a licence fee.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2018, 12:24   #212
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
In theory wouldn't disagree with that as long as non subscribers are stopped from using any BBC services - TV, radio, website, apps, catch up -not sure how practical that is.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:25   #213
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I just don't believe people realise how much they use the BBC. Do they never use the BBC website, apps, iPlayer, sport, weather, radio? All these have licence fee funding.
I do think that the vast majority of the public would subscribe voluntarily to the BBC for that very reason. A small minority would not pay because they did not wish to make use of any of the Beeb's services, but that is how it should be.
Old 24-02-2018, 12:31   #214
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
And you think that will be cheaper? because its likely to be dearer IMO.
Old 24-02-2018, 12:44   #215
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
In theory wouldn't disagree with that as long as non subscribers are stopped from using any BBC services - TV, radio, website, apps, catch up -not sure how practical that is.
It should be possible to prevent non subscribers from accessing TV, the web site and apps in 10 years' time. Not sure how that would work on the radio stations, though, but I'm sure they will find a way!

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I didn't say it would be cheaper. However it needn't be more expensive, given that the Corporation would be competing in the market place, and this would also ensure that they paid more attention to efficiences that could be made to cut unnecessary costs.

Being released from the current straight jacket that prevents them from undertaking bold innovative revenue generation schemes under the current arrangements means that they would be able to pursue other income streams to bolster revenues.
Old 24-02-2018, 15:22   #216
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
There is no such argument from anyone in a position to influence the decision. The BBC is a public service broadcaster; in the UK, and across Europe and much of the world, public service broadcasters are funded by advertising. The BBC is a very rare exception in having all of a licence fee and being forbidden to advertise.

If the BBC loses its right to receive the licence fee, it will follow the same model as ITV, Channel 4 and Five. This will be the case regardless of how often ill-informed commenters on the internet assert otherwise.

You can’t pass a law compelling the BBC to go behind a paywall. Even Sky isn’t subject to such restrictions. It encrypts by choice.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:30   #217
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Who's saying a law needs to be passed to put the BBC behind a paywall.

All that needs to be done is scrap the license fee. How the BBC then raises revenue is then up to them.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:31   #218
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Only dearer for those that want to use the BBC services via a subscription. For those like me who do not want to use there services it means i would not have to pay the the BBC tax

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:49   #219
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

All that needs to be done is scrap the license fee. How the BBC then raises revenue is then up to them.
Because most people who argue against the licence fee, on this forum at least, lack the imagination to see beyond the subscription model. They perceive the licence fee as, in effect, a compulsory subscription, and therefore their argument boils down to “change the compulsory subscription into a voluntary one”. Voluntary subscription tv services require, by their very nature, encryption and a paywall.

Yet there is absolutely no way the BBC would adopt a subscription model without being compelled to do so. It simply isn’t the way public service broadcasting works, anywhere in the world, and it could not sustain an operation of the BBC’s size and present reach.

The only possible outcome of abolishing the licence fee would be a BBC that looked and acted much the same as ITV presently does. Free to air, funded by advertising and overseas sales. And the problem with that is that it would cause a massive devaluing of ad breaks on British TV, quite possibly putting a lot of smaller channels out of business.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:51   #220
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 16:07   #221
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I think you miss the point Chris. I think you'll find most on this forum objecting to the license fee don't give a damn about the BBC.

It could close down tomorrow for all I care. I object to paying for something I do not use in any form whatsoever. I think most others do as well.
Old 24-02-2018, 16:11   #222
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Only dearer for those that want to use the BBC services via a subscription. For those like me who do not want to use there services it means i would not have to pay the the BBC tax
And the vast majority would sadly have to pay more because if you look at viewing figures BBC get audiences for their programmes and services that many others can only simply only dream about

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Quote:
I think you miss the point Chris. I think you'll find most on this forum objecting to the license fee don't give a damn about the BBC.

It could close down tomorrow for all I care. I object to paying for something I do not use in any form whatsoever. I think most others do as well.
This forum does not in no way represent the main populace view regarding the BBC.
Old 24-02-2018, 16:34   #223
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I have to pay over £12 a month for the BBC, the only things I've watched in the last 3 months are Blue Planet and Detectorists.

If the BBC was a subscription service i would have stopped paying long ago, certainly at that price a month.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 16:56   #224
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:

This forum does not in no way represent the main populace view regarding the BBC.

I in no way stated nor inferred that.
Old 25-02-2018, 00:24   #225
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There is no such argument from anyone in a position to influence the decision. The BBC is a public service broadcaster; in the UK, and across Europe and much of the world, public service broadcasters are funded by advertising. The BBC is a very rare exception in haviwng all of a licence fee and being forbidden to advertise.

If the BBC loses its right to receive the licence fee, it will follow the same model as ITV, Channel 4 and Five. This will be the case regardless of how often ill-informed commenters on the internet assert otherwise.

You can’t pass a law compelling the BBC to go behind a paywall. Even Sky isn’t subject to such restrictions. It encrypts by choice.
Wow! What an entrenched point of view you do have!

It’s not a question of what ‘anyone in a position to influence the decision’ want to do, it’s a question of what the public demand.

Whatever is going on in other countries, this doesn’t mean we have to follow. A BBC funded by subscription only could work. No need for advertising at all, although there’s nothing to prevent a future BBC from operating a subscription free advertising option.

Whatever you or any other bureaucrats want to do, ultimately you have to bow to the demands of the public. There is a growing resistance to the licence fee, and in a democracy, people have to be listened to.

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:

Absolutely true, but it is a fool who disregards the way the wind is blowing. By the way, you used two negatives in one sentence there, Den!

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Quote:

Agreed!

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
However, it doesn't have to be more expensive! Even with recent cuts, the BBC is very, very wasteful.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 25-02-2018 at 00:27.