Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do you use a Password Manager?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

Do you use a Password Manager?

Old 20-01-2019, 19:32   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Question Do you use a Password Manager?

Do you use a Password Manager other than the ones built into a browser?

I use Lastpass which syncs across all my devices, but with the leak of over a billion emails/passwords for site logins i have been spending hours updating all my passwords to unique jibberish and considering purchasing there 2fa option, this is taking a while as i have to go back 20 years!
Old 20-01-2019, 20:38   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Do you use a Password Manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Do you use a Password Manager other than the ones built into a browser?

I use Lastpass which syncs across all my devices, but with the leak of over a billion emails/passwords for site logins i have been spending hours updating all my passwords to unique jibberish and considering purchasing there 2fa option, this is taking a while as i have to go back 20 years!
I use LastPass too, have done since it came out. I closed a lot of accounts that I no longer use. Not that it would matter as I change my passwords every 3 months on a rolling basis. Those that matter anyway.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 20:50   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Im currently closing accounts that i haven't used for several years, although i change the password first.

Do you pay for the 2fa with lastpass?
Old 20-01-2019, 21:09   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Im currently closing accounts that i haven't used for several years, although i change the password first.

Do you pay for the 2fa with lastpass?
No I get by happily with the free version.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:37   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I use LastPass and am happy with it. We have the Premium so I can share passwords with family. You can share without showing what the password actually is. I've used the sharing to setup DropBox accounts for kids, then share the password with them.

I had premium when it was needed for Android. At £1.55 per month the cost is minimal.
Old 21-01-2019, 15:55   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have been using it for about 6 months, it has one annoyance though, it (inconsistantly) does not auto login itself when you first fire up the browser.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:29   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I never use auto login on a PC i prefer to log in with a password.

If you guys use it on an Android phone, which browser do you use with it as it isn't supported with my preferred Opera for Android, i am currently using Dolphin, it works with Chrome for Android but i don't use that anymore as it doesn't block all ads?
Old 21-01-2019, 22:18   #8
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Bitwarden here, happily on both Android & PC
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 23:10   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I just realised that on the FREE version of Lastpass you can enable 2 factor authentication, it only took me several years to find that out!
Old 29-01-2019, 15:42   #10
LFC Scouser
Gigabyte Greed

Services: 2 x V6 Box, VIP Bundle, M600, etc.
LFC Scouser is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used KeePass for about 10 years. Wonderful bit of software - don't use a cloud password manager yet but the idea of them does appeal to me.
LFC Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 15:49   #11
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC Scouser View Post
I've used KeePass for about 10 years. Wonderful bit of software - don't use a cloud password manager yet but the idea of them does appeal to me.
Just to let you know,Regarding Last Pass.The actual password is not stored on the Last Pass cloud/server.i'ts actually stored locally on the pc.So even if Last Pass was hacked they would not have access to your account as they would not have the password. Only the e-mail that was used for login that's all

That's why i like LastPass.i'v been using it for years with no issues and i feel it's as secure as it needs to be ,
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 17:51   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I'm loving lastpass even more since I setup 2fa on pc and mobile, highly recommend using it if you guys don't have it setup.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

And if using it on mobile it integrates perfectly with the Dolphin browser as it doesn't with alot of others.
Old 30-01-2019, 11:40   #13
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You can setup one time passwords and other recovery mechanisms for LastPass.
Old 30-01-2019, 12:21   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
You can setup one time passwords and other recovery mechanisms for LastPass.
I need to look into setting up a recovery mechanism because if i lose my phone i wont get a text message and the lastpass authenticator won't be available to me.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Any idea how to setup a recovery if my phone is lost?

I've setup a security email, but i don't see anywhere i can use it if the phone is lost.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 30-01-2019 at 12:39.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:06   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

You can create a one-time-password table, print it and lock it away.

Lastpass can also do things like let you in if you are using a computer you've used before and know some details on the account. They do their best but need to be secure.