Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

New Computer

Old 12-12-2018, 20:17   #31
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: New Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
I have already seen and am delighted.
My new PC works impeccably on WiFi about 5 feet away from my "modem"(pleased I give you all a good laugh) OK - Superhub.

Oddly enough the speed is incredible - very fast.

So again I am grateful for the help that some posters gave me and over-the-moon with the WiFi and speed performance.

Oh I forgot - why have an unsightly USB cable to my desktop when with WiFi all I have is a single power cable, no matter how many USB sockets my "modem" has got.
Errr those are ethernet sockets or more correctly, ports.

If you don't know the difference then just carry on, I don't care as long as you are happy.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2018, 20:39   #32
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I forget if shub1 has gigabit ethernet ports if it does on the bundle that beaker is on, his wifi may 'look' nicer (not sure how an ethernet lead is unsightly but...) but it won't be as fast as a wired connection. So he's paying for a service and then restricting the performance and speed available for the sake of looking nice.

I don't get the obsession with Wi-Fi on anything that isn't a phone or tablet personally, ho hum.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 22:34   #33
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I forget if shub1 has gigabit ethernet ports if it does on the bundle that beaker is on, his wifi may 'look' nicer (not sure how an ethernet lead is unsightly but...) but it won't be as fast as a wired connection. So he's paying for a service and then restricting the performance and speed available for the sake of looking nice.

I don't get the obsession with Wi-Fi on anything that isn't a phone or tablet personally, ho hum.
Thanks for that techguyone.
All major manufacturers enable a range of their desktops with WiFi and USB. They would not invest their time and money on a design concept that was of no use. Not everybody on Planet Earth wishes to have a USB cable snaking all over their lounge carpet.

I know it may hurt, but my Wifi desktop is performing impeccably in all respects. I am not restricting a single aspect of this superb set and reckon I have got top value for money and performance.
Looking nice ? It sure does, aesthetic magnificence.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 22:52   #34
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

OK. I give up, you clearly understand computers far more than me.

Just do me one favour though, for the freaking love of God stop referring to Ethernet as USB you completely destroy any credibility you know the first thing about anything with electronics when you persist in this.

Your old crappy XP computer used a USB dongle to connect to the Internet via Ethernet. Because your old computer had no dedicated Ethernet port it wasn't a 'USB' connection, just a electronic bodge to get round the lack of ethernet port.

Ethernet
noun: Ethernet; plural noun: Ethernets
a system for connecting a number of computer systems to form a local area network, with protocols to control the passing of information and to avoid simultaneous transmission by two or more systems.

USB
A Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a common interface that enables communication between devices and a host controller such as a personal computer (PC). It connects peripheral devices such as digital cameras, mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, media devices, external hard drives and flash drives.

Ethernet isn't scary, it's easier to use than Wi-Fi no password or worrying about antenna/signal strength etc, you literally plug one end of the lead into the back of your computer (yes yes I know, it destroys your Feng shui feeling you have going) and the other end into the modem... err Superhub1

Woosh like magic you're connected - fancy that.

Anyways... I get the feeling I'm not getting through, so enjoy your WiFi computing...

I'm out.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 23:48   #35
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
OK. I give up, you clearly understand computers far more than me.

Just do me one favour though, for the freaking love of God stop referring to Ethernet as USB you completely destroy any credibility you know the first thing about anything with electronics when you persist in this.

Your old crappy XP computer used a USB dongle to connect to the Internet via Ethernet. Because your old computer had no dedicated Ethernet port it wasn't a 'USB' connection, just a electronic bodge to get round the lack of ethernet port.

Ethernet
noun: Ethernet; plural noun: Ethernets
a system for connecting a number of computer systems to form a local area network, with protocols to control the passing of information and to avoid simultaneous transmission by two or more systems.

USB
A Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a common interface that enables communication between devices and a host controller such as a personal computer (PC). It connects peripheral devices such as digital cameras, mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, media devices, external hard drives and flash drives.

Ethernet isn't scary, it's easier to use than Wi-Fi no password or worrying about antenna/signal strength etc, you literally plug one end of the lead into the back of your computer (yes yes I know, it destroys your Feng shui feeling you have going) and the other end into the modem... err Superhub1

Woosh like magic you're connected - fancy that.

Anyways... I get the feeling I'm not getting through, so enjoy your WiFi computing...

I'm out.
I'm not sure I like your tone. My "old crappy" XP computer had an ethernet connection.
In fact when VM first brought out 50Mb as their top tier BB a vast majority of customers had XP PC's. The problem was natively XP couldn't go faster than (IIRC) 20Mb without a tweak to the TCP setting which was an easy fix using https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php.

My even older Win98 PC had one as well.

Doesn't explain the OP not knowing the difference.

Good to know he's leaving himself wide open to hacking using a wireless connection though. He's a prime target for a MITM attack. He'll fall for it straight away.
Old 13-12-2018, 00:22   #36
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Auf Wiedersehen everybody, have a nice day.

I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas, I will certainly have one with my super-duper WiFi PC, plus my old and trusted XP as a steadfast reserve plaything.

Bye
Old 13-12-2018, 01:16   #37
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Bye.
Old 13-12-2018, 09:49   #38
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Hopefully he won't come back, such a rude person, then he blames other people in this thread lol.
Old 13-12-2018, 11:56   #39
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Hopefully he won't come back, such a rude person, then he blames other people in this thread lol.
Have a poor Christmas Snoopo, my best wishes to all the others -

Old 13-12-2018, 12:54   #40
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Stop the niggling and personal attacks, please.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 15:59   #41
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Some people don't like to see unnecessary cabling. Also, depending on physical circumstances, Ethernet, while desirable, may not be practical. For instance, I prefer to use Ethernet, but haven't implemented it all over the house because I do not want cables running all over the house, and don't want the disruption caused by fitting proper sockets in every room. It's something I'll likely look at again when I eventually get round to rewiring the electrical sockets.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote