Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media cable MODEM question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media cable MODEM question

Old 19-04-2007, 18:34   #1
stas
Inactive

stas is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media cable MODEM question

Hello,

I have Virgin Media cable installed. I want to set up a wireless network for several computers. Can i change the modem they supplied for a wireless modem/router in one or do I need to connect a router to it?

Also, if i have to get a separate router can someone recommend one that works well with both pc and mac please?

Thanks
stas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2007, 18:37   #2
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media cable MODEM question

Your supplied modem can be connected to a wireless router especially desgned for Ethernet connection to the Internet, or in other words, most new wireless routers

There are loads to choose from. if you want a good basic look try here.

to the site.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 18:38   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Welcome to the Forum.

You can't change the modem and you need to buy a seperate router. The one i'm using is a Linksys WRT54GS and i'm sure there are people on this forum using it with a mac also.
Old 19-04-2007, 19:59   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

to the forums.

As snoopz mentioned, you can not change the modem they gave you.
It is only if you use an ADSL connection that you can use your own modem combined router.

With VirginMedia, keep the modem that they gave you.
Then choose a Wireless cable router. Many people here reccomend the Linksys models.
eg. here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...info-here.html

You then plug the modem into the router through ethernet cable and connect to the router from each of your PC's via wireless.
The first time you connect a PC you will need to do it through ethernet to set it all up, but once that is done, you can use your machines wirelessly.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 22:38   #5
stas
Inactive

stas is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot
stas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 22:46   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The above link is a few years out of date so the models of router maybe different.
Old 25-04-2007, 00:46   #7
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

I use a Netgear cable router, although I'm not exactly sure on the model. It works great.
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 09:20   #8
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
i'm sure there are people on this forum using it with a mac also.
Affirmed. WRT54GS works fine with Mac, Windows* or Linux, which are all currently running through it on a VM 10Mb line behind my chair.

* Apart from this waking up from sleep, which is a Windows XP problem
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote