Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Old 14-08-2009, 02:04   #16
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer100 View Post
Just looked at the OpenDNS site and they frequently suggest that you will get faster DNS lookups. Can anyone confirm that, as it seems unlikely that a lookup from OpenDNS in San Francisco (if the geolocation was right) 10 hops away is going to be faster than the virgin server sitting 5 hops away (194.84.4.100) and significantly closer.

(I know this wasn't the original point of this thread, just wondering if anyone is getting faster)

As to the original point, I rarely get addresses wrong, otherwise I would be googling anyway.
In my experience it is significantly faster and infinitely more reliable.

For latency to be a factor one would have to look at the relative efficiency of each set of devices. It would appear that OpenDNS is faster by virtue of efficiency to a degree that overcomes latency.

VM's DNS servers often looked like a bottleneck during busy periods and although I shall not be using them it would be interesting to see if they are slower now that they are a nice little earner with extra work to get done.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2009, 10:13   #17
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer100 View Post
Just looked at the OpenDNS site and they frequently suggest that you will get faster DNS lookups. Can anyone confirm that, as it seems unlikely that a lookup from OpenDNS in San Francisco (if the geolocation was right) 10 hops away is going to be faster than the virgin server sitting 5 hops away (194.84.4.100) and significantly closer.

OpenDNS have servers all over the place, including one location in London. I use them at home and at work and speed has never been an issue, in fact I originally switched during a bad patch of reliability for Virgins servers.

However they do make their money of redirecting failed DNS requests in exactly the same way as Virgin so if that is a concern to you they are not an alternative.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 11:13   #18
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
OpenDNS have servers all over the place, including one location in London. I use them at home and at work and speed has never been an issue, in fact I originally switched during a bad patch of reliability for Virgins servers.

However they do make their money of redirecting failed DNS requests in exactly the same way as Virgin so if that is a concern to you they are not an alternative.
OpenDNS making money off my choice to use them is of no concern to me whatsoever. They provide an excellent service at zero cost to me.

What I object to in principle is paying a high price for a product just to find that some form of extra financial exploitation has been implemented.

I was all for the old principle of advert supported software for free against the full paid product as advert free, but when someone tries a variation of both to enhance their bottom line I see it as exploitation.
Old 14-08-2009, 11:17   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
I was all for the old principle of advert supported software for free against the full paid product as advert free, but when someone tries a variation of both to enhance their bottom line I see it as exploitation.
How is this any different than adverts in subscription channels such as Sky One, Living or the Sky Premium channels - for instance.

At least with this you can opt out if you want
Old 14-08-2009, 12:18   #20
Traduk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
How is this any different than adverts in subscription channels such as Sky One, Living or the Sky Premium channels - for instance.

At least with this you can opt out if you want
In principle it doesn't but with subscription channels, we can choose whether or not to subscribe. If our enjoyment of those services is frustrated by the imposition of adverts then for many they are dumped and the primary plus secondary revenues are lost to the provider.

When exploitation is implemented within a core element of a paid for service it is a catch all on part of a service without which, for most the service will not work.

I suspect the opt out will be implemented by very few as although there is a notification on the VM website I would guess that few ever go there to trawl through something so boring.

As has been pointed out by another within this thread, the response is an apparent over-reaction but until VM completely disassociate themselves from the click through (phorm) type exploitation there is underlying suspicion as to their future path. This is IMO a partial but minuscule step in that direction and further reduces my trust in VM.
Old 14-08-2009, 12:32   #21
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
As has been pointed out by another within this thread, the response is an apparent over-reaction but until VM completely disassociate themselves from the click through (phorm) type exploitation there is underlying suspicion as to their future path. This is IMO a partial but minuscule step in that direction and further reduces my trust in VM.
Agree this is the main concern, rather than the browser hijack itself.
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:43   #22
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Agree this is the main concern, rather than the browser hijack itself.
There is no browser hijack, nothing is changed on your PC.

As others have said, this is no different to what OpenDNS are doing, while I don't agree with not reporting DNS failures, if it means better funding for VM's network without costing me anything then where is the harm?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:50   #23
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Sorry, wrong terminology. More correctly, DNS Hijacking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking

In particular

"The concern with DNS hijacking has to do with this hijacking of the NXDOMAIN response. Internet applications rely on the NXDOMAIN response to describe the condition where the DNS has no entry for the specified host. If one were to query the invalid domain name (fakeexample.com), one should get a NXDOMAIN response - informing the application that the name is invalid and taking the appropriate action (for example, displaying an error). However, if the domain name is queried on one of these non-compliant ISPs, one would receive an IP address belonging to the ISP. In a Web browser, this behavior can be annoying or offensive as connections to this IP address display the Web page of the provider, sometimes with advertising, instead of a proper error message. However, other applications that reply on the NXDOMAIN error will instead try to connect to this IP address, potentially exposing sensitive information like logins."
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 14:06   #24
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Reported to el-reg, and a few other places, see if they wanna take the story and run.

VM have NOT been upfront about it. I wasn't even aware of it till I read this thread. No email or letter from VM informing me about it, along with instructions on how to opt-out, which they should have done, especially considering they decided to opt-everybody-in by default.

Only a webpage that isn't checked very often.

Oh, and I just switched to OpenDNS, although I have issues with OpenDNS, I have even bigger issues with a company that implements a DNS hijacking, without even having the manners to send me an email that they were implementing it.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 14:21   #25
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Oh, and I just switched to OpenDNS, although I have issues with OpenDNS, I have even bigger issues with a company that implements a DNS hijacking, without even having the manners to send me an email that they were implementing it.
I run Treewalk local DNS service. No issues with that and the addition of the Confetch plugin adds a lot of blocking/filtering options.

http://treewalkdns.com/
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:07   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
VM have NOT been upfront about it. I wasn't even aware of it till I read this thread. No email or letter from VM informing me about it, along with instructions on how to opt-out, which they should have done, especially considering they decided to opt-everybody-in by default.
There is a 'What is this page' link at the very top every time it comes up

Quote:
There is a 'What is this page' at the top everytime you encounter the VM page with the opt out link
Old 14-08-2009, 15:24   #27
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Reported to el-reg, and a few other places, see if they wanna take the story and run.

hahahahahaha - you are a right plonker!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:35   #28
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

Thats where vm fail, every added service must be OPT IN did vm just ignore the phorm scandal with a oohhh yeah we will still opt all of our muppet customers in (the way we get treat nowadays) give them as little as they know about it the better for us more monies.

Some vm staffers might be better off telling them to quickly go and change it before a few go and complain to the ico or offcom, they have already stated that anything that changes or has the likeleyhood to change communications (i.e blacklisting non partner websites or searches - Function creep standard) must be opt in.
Bonglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:36   #29
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

This is a lousy step by Virgin.

Among the problems it will cause... It will break features such as address bar search in Internet Explorer, and prevent other applications correctly discovering and reporting DNS lookup errors.

Its symptomatic of a communications company that has completely lost the plot... lost the capacity to comprehend the basic requirement for security, integrity and privacy in telecommunications services.

I'm so glad I left them.
Dephormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:46   #30
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

I am sorry but am I missing something here..

I don't see the big deal?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote