Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo standby problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo standby problem

Old 15-10-2019, 15:33   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Tivo standby problem

My Tivo (old style with scart socket) has decided to stop going into standby after 4 hours. I've tried changing the standby setting to 2 hours to no avail.
Also it sometimes comes out of standby for no obvious reason. I've had it for quite a while and never had this issue until quite recently. Anyone had this problem ?
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2019, 15:58   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Tivo standby problem

It's likely to be IR interference in the room which the box thinks are valid key presses. Have you changed anything such as lighting, TV etc, or moved the box?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 16:25   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
My Tivo (old style with scart socket) has decided to stop going into standby after 4 hours. I've tried changing the standby setting to 2 hours to no avail.
Also it sometimes comes out of standby for no obvious reason. I've had it for quite a while and never had this issue until quite recently. Anyone had this problem ?

It may be florescent lamps causing the problem.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 19:29   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Thanks both, probably a good shout, although nothing that you mention has changed.
I won't lose any sleep over it, just a little bit annoying. I think the power consumption difference between on and standby is minimal, not really sure why they bother with it.
Old 15-10-2019, 19:52   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think the power consumption difference between on and standby is minimal, not really sure why they bother with it.
Low-power standby uses far less power than when the box is on.

Try covering up the IR receiver on the front of the box after you've put it into standby. It's just to the left of the standby LED.
Old 15-10-2019, 20:28   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Low-power standby uses far less power than when the box is on.

Try covering up the IR receiver on the front of the box after you've put it into standby. It's just to the left of the standby LED.
I read somewhere the values were not that different but I'm sure you will be correct.
I'll try what you suggest regarding covering the receiver, I do have an IR extender set up but it's definitely off.
Thanks for input SP
Old 15-10-2019, 21:40   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I read somewhere the values were not that different
That was true years ago, but things have moved on a lot.