Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Old 14-08-2009, 00:03   #1
Toby Jugg
Inactive

Toby Jugg is on a distinguished roadToby Jugg is on a distinguished road
Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

After finding my search option redirected to a VM search page, a little investigation found that VM had actually managed to inflict a change on my browsers settings. Note this effected a change to browser settings on my machine.
This view has been effectively confirmed as correct by VM support.
An opt-out option is on the page you end up on, but VM impose the change and expect you to find it and opt out.

This is the latest in the VM/phorm/data rape your customers saga.

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginm...r/feedback.php
Toby Jugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2009, 00:08   #2
htpntg2005
Inactive

htpntg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

im not supprised, i was using opendns in my router (altho this has been turned off last month due to net speeds ) and well i have not had those pages appear yet.

so all those that hate it use open dns to save yourself the hassle, its also great thing that protects you and family you can config parental controls and restrictions. we use opendns at work also which filters out social networking sites etc...
htpntg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:10   #3
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

I saw this earlier and as a result checked out my registry and browser and nothing there mentioning a ryanvm (might have it wrong but had it correct when I checked) entry.

I also tried browsing to see if I got the adavanced DNS search thing and I did, still without any changes to registry or browser, so I went to the page you've linked to and opted out.

Is it a security weakness in certain browsers that's allowing it to be so easily compromised?
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:11   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Not a change to your browsers settings. It's a change in how Virgin handle DNS lookups or rather DNS lookups that aren't successfull. As far as I can tell, and I haven't proved this. Use the opendns service you won't get this.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:13   #5
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Over react much?
Ok, so VM have introduced this change, you can opt out via the link that you posted.
Reading through the info, it says that it only kicks in when you misstype a url, not on any sort of search (or browser settings) as it works via DNS.
So calm down & opt out.
Thanks for the link tho.
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:14   #6
moaningmags
Inactive

moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Does it really matter?
Doesn't OpenDNS do the same thing or something similar?
Old 14-08-2009, 00:16   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

It's just them sending you too a VM Page when a DNS Results aint found..
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:28   #8
htpntg2005
Inactive

htpntg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Does it really matter?
Doesn't OpenDNS do the same thing or something similar?
instead of using virginmedias DNS tables it uses its own one, and you can customise it (block sites etc..) and also very good for the family (especially when you got the little ones) when you don't want them to go on any offensive websites. (bit like using a parental control program)
htpntg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:34   #9
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

iv opted out just because i never use the address bar i do my stuff on google lol
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:42   #10
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Can a mod change the title? It's a bit like being in Eastenders here sometimes!
Old 14-08-2009, 01:00   #11
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I opted out as I object to VM making even more money out of me. I already pay full price for my BB via my subscription.

In any case such "value added services" should be OPT IN not opt out.

Still no one expects slime ball companies who stealthily steal and no doubt sell our click stream data to play by the rules.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 01:07   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I opted out as I object to VM making even more money out of me. I already pay full price for my BB via my subscription.
And by Virgin making money out this, then its a way of keeping your subscription price down.

Quote:
Still no one expects slime ball companies who stealthily steal and no doubt sell our click stream data to play by the rules.
And what exactly do you mean by stealthily steal? As far as I can see Virgin have been quite upfront about this
Old 14-08-2009, 01:09   #13
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Just what is the issue? It's not like, they installed a KeyLogger and are logging all of your strokes and taking screenshots and storing them on a remote server are they?

Jasus, talk about over acting. You need to seriously think about what your saying here chap..
Old 14-08-2009, 01:11   #14
Rimmer100
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Phone, XL V+
Rimmer100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked at the OpenDNS site and they frequently suggest that you will get faster DNS lookups. Can anyone confirm that, as it seems unlikely that a lookup from OpenDNS in San Francisco (if the geolocation was right) 10 hops away is going to be faster than the virgin server sitting 5 hops away (194.84.4.100) and significantly closer.

(I know this wasn't the original point of this thread, just wondering if anyone is getting faster)

As to the original point, I rarely get addresses wrong, otherwise I would be googling anyway.
Rimmer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 01:15   #15
moaningmags
Inactive

I have google as my home page and as my default search engine and just about everytime I open my browser I either go to a site from my favourites or I google it.