Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 13-05-2019, 20:39   #391
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Freesports said ages ago that they wouldn't be going HD on Freeview due to the cost, hopefully the VM deal might mean that they can now afford it.
I think they've said both at different times. I think there may be an element of telling the customers what they want to hear.

Given the coverage of those temporary Freeview HD multiplexes has dropped already I wouldn't be surprised if the cost has reduced. Al Jazeera English has added an SD version today on Com6 multiplex because of this.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2019, 14:40   #392
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I am just receiving Keep it Country, after months of no picture, but sometimes near midnight it starts to be a distorted picture. But I am glad to have it back Richard.
I'm glad it's returned for you, maybe your dish has slightly moved or your wiring has got water in it?

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I think they've said both at different times. I think there may be an element of telling the customers what they want to hear.

Given the coverage of those temporary Freeview HD multiplexes has dropped already I wouldn't be surprised if the cost has reduced. Al Jazeera English has added an SD version today on Com6 multiplex because of this.
Yeah, they're probably covering themselves. I can't think where the space on Freeview has come from though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:07   #393
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Yeah, they're probably covering themselves. I can't think where the space on Freeview has come from though.
Well maybe if AJ English is going SD because of the coverage drop for the temporary HD multiplexes, maybe AJEng are going SD-only on Freeview rather than run two versions? Freesports simply might use their HD space. Daft as it might seem, maybe they will run two versions themselves so not to lose their low EPG number. If Freesports went HD-only on Freeview they'd probably have to give it up as all HD channels on Freeview are in the 100 range on the EPG.
Old 22-05-2019, 14:09   #394
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The Freesat data for Freesports HD has now been removed (could possibly mean that Freesports have done an encryption deal with Sky).

As the SD service is set to close once the HD service starts (as per a reliable source), this would mean that Freesports would no longer be available FTA on satellite
Old 22-05-2019, 16:23   #395
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The Freesat data for Freesports HD has now been removed (could possibly mean that Freesports have done an encryption deal with Sky).

As the SD service is set to close once the HD service starts (as per a reliable source), this would mean that Freesports would no longer be available FTA on satellite
I don't believe that would happen, it would hardly be Free then. I doubt Premier Sports would want to complicate matters. It's not like there are rights issues, it would have the same coverage as the SD channel, the test transmission was on the same transponder as I understand it.

I've not seen a set of user numbers to know how many Freesat From Sky boxes are in use (i.e. mostly people who haven't renewed their subscription), only the BBC/ITV run FreeSat release numbers, but that's for their boxes. I mention this as the numbers would show whether being FTV rather than FTA would be worthwhile.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:26   #396
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I don't believe that would happen, it would hardly be Free then. I doubt Premier Sports would want to complicate matters. It's not like there are rights issues, it would have the same coverage as the SD channel, the test transmission was on the same transponder as I understand it.

I've not seen a set of user numbers to know how many Freesat From Sky boxes are in use (i.e. mostly people who haven't renewed their subscription), only the BBC/ITV run FreeSat release numbers, but that's for their boxes. I mention this as the numbers would show whether being FTV rather than FTA would be worthwhile.
I hope you're right and yes, it would make a mockery of the channels name! Having said that, it's not free on VM as it's encrypted.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:38   #397
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I hope you're right and yes, it would make a mockery of the channels name! Having said that, it's not free on VM as it's encrypted.
Yes, but everyone with a TV box on VM's network is paying for TV, so it's irrelevant. Everything but the main 5 Public Service Broadcast channels are encrypted on VM because they don't want people hooking up unauthorized/old equipment, it can have knock-on effects for the service provided to paying customers. The PSBs are only unencrypted due to the law I believe.
Old 22-05-2019, 17:34   #398
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, but everyone with a TV box on VM's network is paying for TV, so it's irrelevant. Everything but the main 5 Public Service Broadcast channels are encrypted on VM because they don't want people hooking up unauthorized/old equipment, it can have knock-on effects for the service provided to paying customers. The PSBs are only unencrypted due to the law I believe.
I believe that it's a condition of the franchise agreements that VM cannot encrypt channels 1 to 4 (1 to 5 in some areas). I assume that Channel 5 isn't included in certain areas because the cable franchise award predates the start of Channel 5. In practice, VM don't encrypt Channel 5 in any areas.

The last time that I could check which channels were FTA (I simply took my card out of the box, but can't do this any more due to the introduction of virtual cards) there were many more eg all BBC channels apart from BBC Parliament IIRC, all radio stations, ITV2 +1, ITV3 +1, ITV4 +1 etc.

I've since read that every TV channel is now encrypted (apart from 1 to 5). Don't know if they bothered to scramble the radio channels.
Old 22-05-2019, 18:05   #399
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

The radio stations aren't encrypted on VM.

Back on Freesat topic, I don't think there are any significant FTV channels left, they've all disappeared (e.g. Motorsports TV) or went FTA, usually by moving to a transponder with a narrower spotbeam to solve any rights problems with overspill into other countries. Some +1s may be FTA but not on FreeSat EPG e.g. I know Sony Movie Channel +1 isn't on FreeSat EPG, but I can't see it still being FTV given the main channel is FTA..
Old 22-05-2019, 19:37   #400
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The radio stations aren't encrypted on VM.

Back on Freesat topic, I don't think there are any significant FTV channels left, they've all disappeared (e.g. Motorsports TV) or went FTA, usually by moving to a transponder with a narrower spotbeam to solve any rights problems with overspill into other countries. Some +1s may be FTA but not on FreeSat EPG e.g. I know Sony Movie Channel +1 isn't on FreeSat EPG, but I can't see it still being FTV given the main channel is FTA..
Sony Movie Channel +1 went FTA last year, but as you say, Freesat viewers have to tune it in in non Freesat mode.

The less popular channels don't tend to put their +1's onto Freesat (and to a certain extent VM). I think it's because these platforms have less viewers than the Sky platform and the extra cost of another EPG slot must outweigh any extra ad revenue received for the relatively low extra viewers that the timeshift channels attract.
Old 22-05-2019, 19:52   #401
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sony Movie Channel +1 went FTA last year, but as you say, Freesat viewers have to tune it in in non Freesat mode.

The less popular channels don't tend to put their +1's onto Freesat (and to a certain extent VM). I think it's because these platforms have less viewers than the Sky platform and the extra cost of another EPG slot must outweigh any extra ad revenue received for the relatively low extra viewers that the timeshift channels attract.
That was my thinking. You'd think Freesat would acknowledge the trend and just say +1s are free. Having the greatest possible number of channels is in their interest to attract users and would in turn make the platform more attractive for non-+1s, which would be charged the listing fee.
Old 22-05-2019, 20:15   #402
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That was my thinking. You'd think Freesat would acknowledge the trend and just say +1s are free. Having the greatest possible number of channels is in their interest to attract users and would in turn make the platform more attractive for non-+1s, which would be charged the listing fee.
Whilst a sensible idea, that would fall foul of the 'fair, reasonable and non discriminatory' EPG rules.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:
Looks like you're right, a reliable source has told me that Freesports HD won't be encrypted. I'm still not sure why the Freesat data has been removed though, perhaps it will be FTA, just not on the Freesat EPG??
Old 22-05-2019, 20:25   #403
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Whilst a sensible idea, that would fall foul of the 'fair, reasonable and non discriminatory' EPG rules.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Looks like you're right, a reliable source has told me that Freesports HD won't be encrypted. I'm still not sure why the Freesat data has been removed though, perhaps it will be FTA, just not on the Freesat EPG??
I was suggesting it be retroactive the no-fee for +1 idea, it wouldn't discriminate against existing +1s as they would get those terms too.

Are these TV Industry rules you are talking about? Or Freesat policy?
Old 22-05-2019, 21:26   #404
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I was suggesting it be retroactive the no-fee for +1 idea, it wouldn't discriminate against existing +1s as they would get those terms too.

Are these TV Industry rules you are talking about? Or Freesat policy?
It would reduce the income to Freesat short term (and they probably wouldn't go for this as Freesat is loss making and they have outstanding debt), but long term I think it would be a good idea.

Ofcom regulate EPG guides (their powers to do this are derived from the 2003 Communications Act).
Old 05-06-2019, 17:37   #405
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

FreeSports HD has been announced for Sky launch on 15th July in a tweet today. A reply to the tweet by someone asking about FreeSat suggests that although it won't be on the FreeSat HD EPG on that date it will be manually tuneable. Reading between the lines, the wording suggests it will be on FreeSat EPG at some point.