Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-09-2004, 08:02   #1351
Reddevil63
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20Mb CM, Sky+, TV Drive
Reddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the rough
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

As of now I still haven't been upgraded in the SN3 region!

Still on 600k!!!
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2004, 15:55   #1352
mognuts
Inactive

mognuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mognuts
I've got the swap arranged for Monday afternoon, so I'll let you know what I get.
OK, here's the story. 3 blokes came this morning (not this afternoon as planned) and installed a SACM not a Samsung STB. They left it in a state but I tidied up and installed manually. Installation process woudn't work because it needed a PIN, so I called Customer services and after a bit of waiting got the PIN. When I registered the modem, which looked like a ntl home 200 jobbie to me, it worked like a dream. I'm getting the 1.5 service, I've tried various speed checkers and they all say the same, between 1.3 and 1.4 meg, which is quite reasonable for a 1.5 meg advertised service, I was only getting 930k before, top whack.

Interestingly, I'm not longer proxied, and (unsurprisingly) my IP address has changed.

Although not an entirely smooth ride, it could of been a lot worse.
Old 13-09-2004, 18:15   #1353
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah, at least they turned up even if it was the wrong time (as usual)
Old 14-09-2004, 02:05   #1354
Feenix
Inactive

Services: mushroom mushroom
Feenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to all

Quote:

well, it could have rained...
Old 19-09-2004, 19:16   #1355
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

OX4 STILL not upgraded
Despite NTL telling me on the phone it has been.
Old 19-09-2004, 19:43   #1356
Psychotext
Inactive

Psychotext is an unknown quantity at this point

CF23 (SACM) not upgraded... postcode checker shows September (You're running out of time NTL).
Old 19-09-2004, 21:36   #1357
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
OX4 STILL not upgraded
Despite NTL telling me on the phone it has been.
If you are on the 1 Meg connection (so should be getting 1.5 meg now) and are running the connection through a STB (not cable modem), you will not have been upgraded yet. No one running 1Meg through a STB has. This is to give NTL time to replace all the Pace boxes that are running 1 Meg connections with Samsungs. This will probably happen in October.

If not, I suggest you complain to customer services until they send someone to sort out the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschotext
CF23 (SACM) not upgraded... postcode checker shows September (You're running out of time NTL).
Be fair, they still have 10 days left..
Old 19-09-2004, 22:20   #1358
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

OX4 is Oxford, original ntl and thus not STB broadband enabled.
Old 19-09-2004, 23:16   #1359
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
OX4 is Oxford, original ntl and thus not STB broadband enabled.
Fair enough. Didn't know that. So my second comment stands then..
Old 20-09-2004, 14:37   #1360
samuelnw53
Inactive

samuelnw53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry speed or no speed?

Have recently been upgraded to 1.5 but my download speed has only gone up to 871---1159 have done all the tweaks etc am seriously thinking of going down to 750 as i dont think the extra i am paying justifies the poor increase in speed before upgrade was on 1.0 and getting 873 to 925kbits/sec have run speed tests from several places inc simple speed test pc pitstop etc even dan ewlells says i have a52%ping loss.
Old 20-09-2004, 14:46   #1361
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: speed or no speed?

hi and to the site , if you are getting that much packet loss then i would suggest a local problem rather than not being on the right tier , what modem do you have , have you tried a different proxie
Old 20-09-2004, 15:29   #1362
samuelnw53
Inactive

samuelnw53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: speed or no speed?

They have removed the Pace stb and replaced it eith a Samsung stb ,dont really know what else i can do ,not very technically minded, am a silver surfer slowley tearing out what hair i have left and that aint to much .Sam
Old 20-09-2004, 15:33   #1363
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Have you tried ringing Technical Support on 0845 650 0125? As Paul says, that much ping loss is not normal, so a technician visit may be required, or it could be a known problem which may be fixed shortly.
Old 20-09-2004, 15:37   #1364
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Sam, have a look here and pick a proxy to use , if you are using i.e. then go to tools -- internet options -- connections -- lan settings -- tick the proxy server box and put in the proxy server of your choice , use port 8080 for any of them , see how you get on
Old 20-09-2004, 15:58   #1365
markmarkymark
Inactive

markmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about them

Interesting ....

I am having all sorts of fun and games with my 1.5 Mbit connection, and it all seems to have started after the outage.

For a number of months the connection as been fine. Now I'm for ever shifting between a number of difference proxies to get certain sites to load. Speed is variable, I used to get close on 1480 Kbits download - but that varies between 800 and 1400.

The connection also seems to 'stall' now and again...

Its a real pity as its been good up to now. The problem is its very difficult to pin-point the problem in order to tell the tech people about it -

MArk
(Reading)
Closed Thread