Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is this a workaround to record more than 6 channels on cable boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is this a workaround to record more than 6 channels on cable boxes?

Old 23-02-2021, 13:20   #16
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Is this a workaround to record more than 6 channels on cable boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
You'd think that they'd advertise this fact as a USP and allow people to use them 8f they're in there anyway
As I recall 6 tuners was a Unique Selling Point (in the UK) when the V6 launched.

There are many possible reasons why VM have chosen not to use them all.

It may not be desirable to allocate more than 6 active streams to each box on the network, resources need allocated and the cost/usage ratio may not be favourable. Remember, someone might watch a couple of channels most of the time and the remaining tuners are still actively working regardless. So VM may have decided it's not a good use of their network resources to have 8 active streams on every box when the average user uses 2-3.

Forward planning for something that didn't happen. The 8 tuner component might only have been marginally more expensive and VM wanted the option to offer more at a later date, depending on how customers used those they already had. It could have been that VOD may not have become popular, so extra streams may have been a greater selling point, but the market decided otherwise.

The 2 extra tuners might be configurable to take over if one of the other 6 cease operating properly.

Of course it could be argued that VM could offer a variety of tuner options and enable/disable them depending on what the customer wants and is willing to pay. They may have indeed considered this, but upon weighing up the costs it was much cheaper to provision for all TV customers to have the same setup, rather than complicating the Services Offering and systems required, and to maintain those on an ongoing basis.

I have a vague recollection that VM said years ago why they didn't use all 8 tuners, but it's so long ago and I can't remember.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2021, 14:31   #17
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The 2 extra tuners might be configurable to take over if one of the other 6 cease operating properly.
This sounds quite possible, redundancy is always a good thing.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 15:13   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I remember when the TiVo first came out that it didn't initially have all of it's tuners activated for some reason.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 16:34   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I remember when the TiVo first came out that it didn't initially have all of it's tuners activated for some reason.
I'm pretty sure that's because Virgin Media's TiVo box was the first TiVo box with more than two tuners.

So TiVo had to update the software to deal more than two.
Old 23-02-2021, 20:34   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm pretty sure that's because Virgin Media's TiVo box was the first TiVo box with more than two tuners.

So TiVo had to update the software to deal more than two.
Thanks Ben, I think you're right.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote