Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 14-05-2021, 09:22   #916
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Do you disagree with Barnier's statement?
Well, obviously. The EU and the UK are pussy-footing around the Russia/China threat. So Barnier was trotting out total gollox.

As do many Remainers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2021, 12:25   #917
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well, obviously. The EU and the UK are pussy-footing around the Russia/China threat. So Barnier was trotting out total gollox.

As do many Remainers.
I'm confused, we are pussy footing around China and Russia but shouldn't be firmer at the same time.

As I said before, the EU wanted to up tariffs on Chinese steel to protect domestic industries but the UK vetoed that
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:35   #918
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I'm confused, we are pussy footing around China and Russia but shouldn't be firmer at the same time.

As I said before, the EU wanted to up tariffs on Chinese steel to protect domestic industries but the UK vetoed that
I don’t think you are really confused. We both know about realpolitik vs bluster that both the EU and UK perform.

Old 14-05-2021, 12:49   #919
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

The only cohesive argument I can deduce from Seph's posts is that the UK was right to leave the EU as this would allow the EU can take stronger sanctions against other countries without fear of the UK blocking them, as it has done previously.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:33   #920
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The only cohesive argument I can deduce from Seph's posts is that the UK was right to leave the EU as this would allow the EU can take stronger sanctions against other countries without fear of the UK blocking them, as it has done previously.
Not at all - and I'm disappointed that this is your conclusion.
I bring you back to post #901, which I elaborated my train of thought. The up front quote in that post is:

Quote:
The EU itself is reflecting on how to avoid another exit and what it was about the EU that was unattractive to the UK. Barnier has very recently said as much:
I've very clearly pointed out Barnier's lament that the EU is weaker without the UK in dealing with the Russian/China threat and vice-versa. I also pointed out that Barnier was worried about further withdrawals from the EU unless it improved its act.

Old 14-05-2021, 15:22   #921
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I don’t think you are really confused. We both know about realpolitik vs bluster that both the EU and UK perform.
All I am getting is that if the UK and EU make the same decision, the UK is good and EU is bad but please educate me.
Old 14-05-2021, 15:56   #922
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
All I am getting is that if the UK and EU make the same decision, the UK is good and EU is bad but please educate me.
You're confusing my fairly balanced observations based on Barnier's concerns with my well known disdain for the EU (who threatened us recently with vaccine stoppage).

The balance in my comment is that both the EU and UK sound off about Russia/China but only nibble at the edges where it doesn't matter. I suppose that the UK did some good by offering Hong Kong citizens refuge in the UK - but even them I smell a cynical piece of numerical calculation by the FO.

But still, in respect of the EU, sod 'em.

I've not asked you this before - but do you find the EU to be a wonderful organisation and, if so, in what respect?

Old 14-05-2021, 17:20   #923
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Handy hint - others can make an judgement if your (or anyone else's) observations are "fairly balanced", not you; you (or anyone else) making a comment/observations are biased towards the view you/they are putting forward, otherwise, why would they put it forward?

It's also called "marking your own homework*"...

*The expression implies that whenever a person or group self-assesses and/or self regulates their own work they will usually treat it more favorably than if it were assessed by an independent person or group.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:38   #924
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've not asked you this before - but do you find the EU to be a wonderful organisation and, if so, in what respect?
Ask away....

Is the EU perfect? No. Is there a danger of a large union being sluggish and not dynamic due to many vested interests? Yes. The vaccines issue was a good example of where the EU fails by having multiple levels of drug regulation and trying to get a consensus on things in a rapidly changing environment.

BUT...

Is international cooperation and ease of doing business a good thing? Yes. Are there sacrifices to be made to create a level playing field across a large region? Yes Are those sacrifices worth it? Yes. Does freedom of movement create opportunities for my kids? Yes. Does insularity benefit us individually and as a country? No.

Things are not black and white even if some try to make things that way - UK good, EU bad, full stop. There are shades of grey.

So, in summary, is the EU wonderful? No. Was it the least worst option available at when a decision needed to made between leave and remain? Yes
Old 14-05-2021, 17:51   #925
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Handy hint - others can make an judgement if your (or anyone else's) observations are "fairly balanced", not you; you (or anyone else) making a comment/observations are biased towards the view you/they are putting forward, otherwise, why would they put it forward?

It's also called "marking your own homework*"...

*The expression implies that whenever a person or group self-assesses and/or self regulates their own work they will usually treat it more favorably than if it were assessed by an independent person or group.
Stop it. Get off your high horse.

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:
Ask away....

Is the EU perfect? No. Is there a danger of a large union being sluggish and not dynamic due to many vested interests? Yes. The vaccines issue was a good example of where the EU fails by having multiple levels of drug regulation and trying to get a consensus on things in a rapidly changing environment.

BUT...

Is international cooperation and ease of doing business a good thing? Yes. Are there sacrifices to be made to create a level playing field across a large region? Yes Are those sacrifices worth it? Yes. Does freedom of movement create opportunities for my kids? Yes. Does insularity benefit us individually and as a country? No.

Things are not black and white even if some try to make things that way - UK good, EU bad, full stop. There are shades of grey.

So, in summary, is the EU wonderful? No. Was it the least worst option available at when a decision needed to made between leave and remain? Yes
I like your reply.

My followers (!) may remember that before we left the EU, I was content to stay in the EU so long as we could prick them with our picador sticks. All of my criticisms of now stood then. It may also be recalled, that the one EU policy I supported was Free Movement (and by corollary the Single Market).

However, by no means did I regard the Single Market as something that we MUST have. I dislike the EU as an institution and am thus equally content to have left the EU.

Contrary to Hugh's ridiculous attempt to lecture me, I'm sure you see me as capable of fair balance, even if I do hate the EU institution.

Old 14-05-2021, 17:52   #926
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
mansplaining from a horse
Old 14-05-2021, 18:06   #927
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ask away....

BUT...

Pretty much my views too, for what it's worth.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 18:25   #928
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

I like your reply.

My followers (!) may remember that before we left the EU, I was content to stay in the EU so long as we could prick them with our picador sticks. All of my criticisms of now stood then. It may also be recalled, that the one EU policy I supported was Free Movement (and by corollary the Single Market).

However, by no means did I regard the Single Market as something that we MUST have. I dislike the EU as an institution and am thus equally content to have left the EU.

Contrary to Hugh's ridiculous attempt to lecture me, I'm sure you see me as capable of fair balance, even if I do hate the EU institution.

Dude, I’m not the one indulging in self-praise.
Old 14-05-2021, 18:58   #929
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Dude, I’m not the one indulging in self-praise.
I haven't praised myself. You really do need to stop this.

Old 14-05-2021, 19:14   #930
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I haven't praised myself. You really do need to stop this.
Quote:
You're confusing my fairly balanced observations based on Barnier's concerns with my well known disdain for the EU (who threatened us recently with vaccine stoppage).

The balance in my comment is that both the EU and UK sound off about Russia/China but only nibble at the edges where it doesn't matter. I suppose that the UK did some good by offering Hong Kong citizens refuge in the UK - but even them I smell a cynical piece of numerical calculation by the FO.

But still, in respect of the EU, sod 'em.

??

And from December

Quote:
Everyone else is out shopping etc!

Anyway, much of the very wise stuff I've posted hasn't been challenged in any way; does that put me on a par with my good friend jfman?

"To know thyself is the beginning of wisdom.”

Last edited by Hugh; 14-05-2021 at 19:18.