Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

Old 27-02-2021, 20:16   #61
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

I'm pretty sure the Ultimate Oomph package was £79 for new customers a couple of weeks ago. I took it out in December and pay £77 per month.

Looking at Virgin's website just now, it's currently priced at £89 (including UHD) so if you're an existing customer and added the £6 you would still be paying less than what the current offer is!

Also, for full comparison purposes I just priced up a package on Sky's website to get it as close to Virgins Ultimate Oomph as possible:

Sky Signature (Base Package) - £21
HD & Ultra HD - £5
Kids - £5
Multiscreen - £13
Sky Sports - £22
BT Sport - £21
Sky Cinema - £7
Netflix - £4
Broadband (Fastest speed available at my address 60mbs, a tenth of the speed!) - £18
Sky Talk Anytime - £9
60GB SIM (Sky don’t offer an unlimited data option) - £30

Total: £155

For comparison:
Ultimate Oomph - £89
Netflix - £13.99

Total: £102.99

The extra £6 suddenly doesn't seem such a big deal....
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2021, 20:44   #62
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Of the course the actual monthly price for existing Ultimate Oomph customers is actually £139 a month after the introductory offer
Old 27-02-2021, 20:56   #63
gaz82
cf.member

True, but to be fair the Sky quote above includes introductory offers too so it was just a comparison of current advertised pricing.
Old 27-02-2021, 21:00   #64
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Of the course the actual monthly price for existing Ultimate Oomph customers is actually £139 a month after the introductory offer
That’s right, and I couldn’t get customer services to give me a further deal once the 18 months ran out. Big shame. So I’m now having to get Sky Cinema via Now TV and I have reduced the (stupendously high) broadband speed to get the price down.

I’m sorry, I’m not a skinflint, but £130+ is way too high and I will not pay it. I want streaming packages, not channel packages. That would be far better value, and with everything in UHD!

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz82 View Post
True, but to be fair the Sky quote above includes introductory offers too so it was just a comparison of current advertised pricing.
Understood, gaz, thank you.
Old 28-02-2021, 00:14   #65
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

I couldn't get the price down below Skys, even with introductory offers on Skys part so I stuck with Virgin UO.

Anyway, back on topic....If I had a 4K TV, I would be well miffed at this extra charge. How can we on UO be in the 'top' package with more charges on top...hardly 'Ultimate'
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 00:52   #66
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
I couldn't get the price down below Skys, even with introductory offers on Skys part so I stuck with Virgin UO.

Anyway, back on topic....If I had a 4K TV, I would be well miffed at this extra charge. How can we on UO be in the 'top' package with more charges on top...hardly 'Ultimate'
It’s like a tax on the rich! Despite the fact that we are not ‘rich’ at all, at least in the commonly understood of the word!
Old 28-02-2021, 12:22   #67
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

We keep going back to that good old VM achilles heel, billing. Yes, that small thing that actually pays the staff, shareholders, etc. They are still shockingly bad at it!

We now have a situation where two customers can be on the same named package and yet there is a difference in what these two customers receive, for what appears to be the same money.

If UHD costs have to be passed on then fair enough, whoever wants it and is willing to pay can have it. But to pull this stunt really does annoy me!
Joedm45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:23   #68
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That’s right, and I couldn’t get customer services to give me a further deal once the 18 months ran out. Big shame. So I’m now having to get Sky Cinema via Now TV and I have reduced the (stupendously high) broadband speed to get the price down.

I’m sorry, I’m not a skinflint, but £130+ is way too high and I will not pay it. I want streaming packages, not channel packages. That would be far better value, and with everything in UHD!

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Understood, gaz, thank you.
Next weeks winning lottery numbers would be nice too.

Pining for products that don’t exist will only end in extreme disappointment as will cutting your nose off to spite your face by going down the mix and match Now TV/Virgin TV and broadband route.

The reality is, despite all your protestations, you continue to pay Virgin because it delivers good value, against a product that is only hypothetical in your own mind.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:37   #69
gaz82
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

We now have a situation where two customers can be on the same named package and yet there is a difference in what these two customers receive, for what appears to be the same money.
Surely this is the same with any product or service though? I drive a 19 plate Nissan Qashqai Tekna model. My dad has a 20 plate of the "exact" same model car yet his has some extras that mine doesn't. Should I call Nissan and demand they swap my car to a newer version with the extras for no additional cost?

And on price, there is no fixed fee for any Virgin package. Customer offers change all the time, just like products in your local supermarke.

As I said before, I currently pay £77 for UO. Others are paying, £79, £89, £99, £139 etc for exactly the same package!
Old 28-02-2021, 16:02   #70
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

I am absolutely appalled that existing ultimate oomph customers don't get this thrown is especially when I just renewed my contract after latest round of price increases!
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:48   #71
gaz82
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
I am absolutely appalled that existing ultimate oomph customers don't get this thrown is especially when I just renewed my contract after latest round of price increases!
Why? You agreed a contract with a company for a service at a price that you were happy with. They haven't changed the terms of that contract.

The entitlement of some people amazes me! Why should you expect a company to just give you something for free?
Old 28-02-2021, 16:49   #72
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Surely this is the same with any product or service though? I drive a 19 plate Nissan Qashqai Tekna model. My dad has a 20 plate of the "exact" same model car yet his has some extras that mine doesn't. Should I call Nissan and demand they swap my car to a newer version with the extras for no additional cost?

And on price, there is no fixed fee for any Virgin package. Customer offers change all the time, just like products in your local supermarke.

As I said before, I currently pay £77 for UO. Others are paying, £79, £89, £99, £139 etc for exactly the same package!
The car comparison isn’t valid.

I pay for ultimate oomph. I should get ultimate oomph.

In your comparison you paid one off for a 2019 car, based on 2019 specs, in 2019.

I pay 2021 prices for ultimate oomph, in 2021, and don’t get ultimate oomph.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:04   #73
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

It depends what your definition of fixed fee is?

I'd say the VM bundles are fixed fee. Yes they will change in price but not regularly. I disagree with your car analogy. I know with Ford, when they start changing things mid car release, the price tends to go up with the changes. I'd dare say that this UHD is equivalent to just flicking a switch to get it sent to your address. It makes no logical sense just to offer it to new subscribers.

Last edited by Mythica; 28-02-2021 at 17:16.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:05   #74
gaz82
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The car comparison isn’t valid.

I pay for ultimate oomph. I should get ultimate oomph.

In your comparison you paid one off for a 2019 car, based on 2019 specs, in 2019.

I pay 2021 prices for ultimate oomph, in 2021, and don’t get ultimate oomph.
You pay for the "Ultimate Oomph" package which was offered to you on the date stated on your contract, which also includes an itemised list and can be reviewed in your my Virgin Media account.

If an item that is listed in that contract is removed or the price is changed which contravenes that terms agreed then you would have a valid point. But you are still receiving the service you agreed to at the price you agreed as per your contract.
Old 28-02-2021, 17:14   #75
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Why? You agreed a contract with a company for a service at a price that you were happy with. They haven't changed the terms of that contract.

The entitlement of some people amazes me! Why should you expect a company to just give you something for free?
Of course you are correct about the contract part but not the entitlement part. This isn't about wanting something for free. It's about wanting the same product. I'm more than happy new customers get a cheaper price, that's done to draw customers in. But something big as UHD should be the same standard for everyone. If it costs £6 then it should cost £6 to everyone. What you also need to consider is that UHD comes as standard on the top package unless you're on the top package but not a new customer. Do you really think that's right?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote