Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-10-2019, 09:36   #9361
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Let's hope not - ITV should not be allowed live sport - especially football.

Anybody but ITV
UEFA are worried because the last rights contract awarded was strictly Pay TV it is limiting the audience that can watch it so my own hunch here is the next contract awarded will be a mixture of Terrestrial TV and Pay TV.

---------- Post added at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Quote:

Anybody but ITV
Any reasons for your stance?.

Last edited by denphone; 10-10-2019 at 10:51.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37   #9362
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:

Anybody but ITV
Why not? They do sport well in my opinion.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:39   #9363
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I didn't think any major football was Pay Per View (i.e. pay for an individual match at a time) these days. I thought they gave up on that, for football, about 8-10 years ago.

I'm assuming you mean premium pay subscription services like Sky Sports?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:50   #9364
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I didn't think any major football was Pay Per View (i.e. pay for an individual match at a time) these days. I thought they gave up on that, for football, about 8-10 years ago.

I'm assuming you mean premium pay subscription services like Sky Sports?
Yes sorry l meant Pay TV.
Old 10-10-2019, 17:43   #9365
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
UEFA are worried because the last rights contract awarded was strictly Pay TV it is limiting the audience that can watch it so my own hunch here is the next contract awarded will be a mixture of Terrestrial TV and Pay TV.[COLOR="Silver"]

Would be great if Terrestrial TV gets a look in, it will also have an impact on how much pay TV can charge.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 18:05   #9366
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I think there is room for 1 Champions League and 1 Europa League match per round being on terrestrial TV with the rest on a Pay TV platform.

This would mean reverting to the previous arrangement.

The problem is will the terrestrial TV be prepared to pay a substantial fee for the rights?

If not will the pay TV broadcaster be expected to cover this cost?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 19:23   #9367
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Interupt a live match with adverts and miss a goal - that is bad.

Do another live match and drop in adverts and miss another goal - they should never be allowed it again.

Do it yet again - well ....

I beleive each time they claimed it was due to un-manned playouts. That should only ever happen once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Why not? They do sport well in my opinion.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 19:46   #9368
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Interupt a live match with adverts and miss a goal - that is bad.

Do another live match and drop in adverts and miss another goal - they should never be allowed it again.

Do it yet again - well ....

I beleive each time they claimed it was due to un-manned playouts. That should only ever happen once.
I saw that happen just once,an England international I believe. Bet Sky and BT have had plenty of hiccups over the years so no broadcaster is flawless.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:35   #9369
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Hicups happen - the two I saw live was:

England's goal in the 2010 World Cup Finals was missed on ITVHD due to them going to an ad-break four minutes into a match.

FA Cup Replay which went into extra time and ITV Network didn't know what to do so were still on an ad-break when the only goal was scored.

They switched to ITN News Studios mid-may through Extra Time in a Champions League semi-final.

There have been complaints about the number of ad-breaks during their coverage of the Tour de France.

If an event is currently active - there should be no ad breaks.

ITV's policy is - if there are ads to show - show them now.

Oh - and ITV is still in the dark ages when it comes to 5.1 audio and UHD video.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 14:19   #9370
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

England's goal in the 2010 World Cup Finals was missed on ITVHD due to them going to an ad-break four minutes into a match.

FA Cup Replay which went into extra time and ITV Network didn't know what to do so were still on an ad-break when the only goal was scored.

They switched to ITN News Studios mid-may through Extra Time in a Champions League semi-final.

There have been complaints about the number of ad-breaks during their coverage of the Tour de France.

Oh - and ITV is still in the dark ages when it comes to 5.1 audio and UHD video.

Bang on, the last time I watched a game that they were showing, the PQ was awful!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 17:01   #9371
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Totally agree, but whoever is selling the rights have the right to set that as a condition. If any broadcaster doesn't like it then don't bid.

I suspect this happened with England internationals as you never get ads in play.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53   #9372
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:

Any reasons for your stance?.
Andy Blooming Townsend, don't need another reason :-)
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:34   #9373
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Andy Blooming Townsend, don't need another reason :-)
My answer to that John in our household is to turn the mute button on as l certainly know what you mean when you talk about irritating football pundits as there are quite a few on Pay TV.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:53   #9374
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
My answer to that John in our household is to turn the mute button on as l certainly know what you mean when you talk about irritating football pundits as there are quite a few on Pay TV.
Not limited to football pundits or Pay TV platforms - some of the rugby union pundits are equally poor on Sky/BT/ITV
Old 13-10-2019, 12:01   #9375
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not limited to football pundits or Pay TV platforms - some of the rugby union pundits are equally poor on Sky/BT/ITV
Most definitely as l find it hard to understand that Sky in their great wisdom decided to not to renew David Gower , Bumble and Ian Botham's contract when they are three of the best cricket pundits around.