Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help - wireless setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help - wireless setup

Old 04-08-2005, 09:29   #1
robindjones
Inactive

robindjones is an unknown quantity at this point
help - wireless setup

Help, i have a sb4200 surfboard cable modem on blueyonder and wish to make a wireless link so my kids can access the net from their pc upstairs, i went to dixons, asked them what i needed, bought what they told me & nothing. now have been told i need a router. I have a netgear fa33x pci adapter in my pc downstairs connected by a wire to the cable modem. if i get a router, do i just plug the wire from the modem into the router, and from one of the holes in the back of the router into my netgear fa33x pci adapter? then a usb network adapter on the kids p.c.? any help would be greatly appreciated, as i am lost and the kids need the hintranet to stop me from killing them. lol.
robindjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: help

If you are putting a router in the arrangement then the whole thing needs to be run over ethernet, you can no longer use the ethernet port on the modem.

You buy a router (the linksys WRT54G for wireless or BEFR41 for wired are good, as are others). Plug the Modem into the WAN port of the router and the PC into one of the four other sockets (with the extra cable provided). That should mean that you now transparently have a routed connection.

You then need (if their PC does not have one) a ethernet card on their PC and a cable from that to the router. Alternately buy a wireless ethernet card for their computer and connect wirelessly. Putting these cards in a PC is a lot less daunting than it sounds if you need to do such a thing.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:36   #3
robindjones
Inactive

Re: help - wireless setup

hi thanks for the info.
So if i buy a WRT54G then do i need a usb network adapter dongle, or a ethernet card.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:51   #4
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

You can get a USB ethernet / wireless ethernet adapter or a PCI one, both do the same job. The PCI would be the better one as all ethernet processing is done on the card not using the USB and the CPU of the computer (which can slow the PC down and make it more unstable as it is not designed for ethernet traffic).

Are you intending a wired or wireless connection to the kids PC?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:54   #5
robindjones
Inactive

wireless, could you recommend a manufacturer / supplier?
so i need a wireless ethernet pci card.
sorry for being a pain.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:01   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Lightbulb Re: help - wireless setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by robindjones
wireless, could you recommend a manufacturer / supplier?
so i need a wireless ethernet pci card.
sorry for being a pain.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:37   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

pci is the interface inside the computer (the long bar that the contacts on the card connect into.

You can buy a wireless ethernet PCI card (upwards of £25 at a guess) or an ethernet PCI card (upwards of £2.99).

Both plug into the inside of the PC the same, just one has an aerial on the back and the other has a socket for an ethernet cable.