Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin cable with sky box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin cable with sky box

Old 20-10-2014, 07:14   #1
thedutchess
Inactive

thedutchess is an unknown quantity at this point
virgin cable with sky box

Hi all im new here, i currently have virgin cables in my house but my mum has given me a sky box and i have ordered a freesat card from ebay compatible with the sky box to get freeview upstairs, would this work with a standard sky box? i currently have sky but only cables to down stairs and one bedroom, i have looked on the dish and there doesn't look like there is any space for anymore cables to be connected, so was wondering if i can use the virgin cable to attach to the skybox with freesat card to get freeview is this possible?, if not how to i go about running new cables and attaching it to the dish? thanks
thedutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2014, 08:12   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: virgin cable with sky box

No you could not use the Virgin cables to recieve Sky.

You would need to get Sky to set up an extra connection from the dish to your box.
Old 20-10-2014, 08:28   #3
thedutchess
Inactive

thedutchess is an unknown quantity at this point

how do i connect the skybox to the dish then instead, the dish only has 4 conections on the dish?
thedutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:34   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to get the LNB (I think that's what its called) on the dish changed to one with more connections.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:08   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yes, the box on the end of the arm on the satellite dish is called an LNB and if the quad-LNB that is installed already has all its terminals in use, then the next step up is an octo-LNB, with 8 terminals. They cost around £60, excluding installation if you need a bloke with a ladder to do it for you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 22:02   #6
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

If it's using a quad, then that should be enough to feed 4 tuners - 4 single, two twin tuner, or a twin and a couple of single tuners. If there are 4 feeds, where do the other two end up?

If there are 4 feeds and you need more, then either the LNB needs to be changed to an octo (and additional cables run) or you run the quad into a multiswitch - the multiswitch has to be QUAD compatible... a "Quattro" multiswitch expects 4 separate inputs of V high, V low, H high and H low, while a QUAD multiswitch handles the signalling required to set the QUAD LNB
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote