Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor signal freeview manchester area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Poor signal freeview manchester area

Old 13-09-2014, 08:59   #1
holdensredhat
Inactive

holdensredhat is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor signal freeview manchester area

Anyone else suffering very poor signal? Been about a week now. I have retuned several times too. Quite a few channels affected. BBC especially.

Thanks
holdensredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2014, 09:13   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Poor signal freeview manchester area

Which transmitter are you pointing at?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 10:41   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Did you retune last week Mr Hat?

The Freeview TV guide was updated on Wednesday, 3 September 2014 to create extra capacity for new services. I forgot to retune and I only thought to do it last Friday as my picture was pixilating and the EPG was a tad flaky. Maybe it was a coincidence but retuning seems to have returned everything to normal.

I have checked but can't find any other reports of a poor signal coming from the Winter Hill transmitter and the official site shows no problems.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD660144&PGSTART=0

Transmitter area postcode checker
Old 13-09-2014, 16:22   #4
holdensredhat
Inactive

Winter hill.

Yes retuned, several times.

It was dodgy before retune and seems worse after.

Ta.
Old 13-09-2014, 17:37   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I took a small TV set around to our neighbour when she was having a similar problem just to rule out any problem with her TV. When our TV had the same problems we at least knew it had to be some thing else causing the problem. As long as you are happy with your TV then it sounds as though you may need to get your aerial and cabling checked or maybe a signal booster will sort it out.
Old 13-09-2014, 18:43   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If the transmitter is fine (and if Winter Hill was having problems, there would be a lot of complaints), and you have followed instructions over retuning recently, then the problem is closer to home. You need to check your equipment, make sure your aerial hasn't moved, that the cable and plugs are in good order.
Old 14-09-2014, 09:10   #7
holdensredhat
Inactive

Ok. Ta. I have a booster on it already. Is there a recommended one you know of?

Ta.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:34   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Try it without the amp first, to see if it gets any worse. You're pointing at Winter Hill, which is enormous and very powerful, and you're not even that far away from it. I am surprised you need an amplifier at all. My mum receives from Winter Hill, unamplified and without issues, and is significantly further from the transmitter than you.

If it gets no worse and no better with the amp removed, then the amp isn't the problem.

An amp located next to your TV set isn't likely to make a vast difference and if you have problems on your cable, the booster will simply amplify all the noise on the cable as well as the signal. If you do need amplification, then ideally it should be mounted on the masthead with a power unit located in your living room by the telly. You'll need someone in to set that up for you unless you're competent and comfortable working at heights.

You are more likely to be suffering from degraded cable or connectors, or a misaligned aerial.