Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 11-01-2021, 17:32   #10231
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not sure it is the expense - Amazon policy is not to get involved in long-term rights.

By that I mean things spread over a season - hence they like the concentrated hit of their 2 rounds of EPL matches (timed to entice new Prime members around Black Friday and Xmas).
Not entirely the case - they have picked up a Champions league package in both Italy and Germany... granted it’s only one package but each one is a 16 game package and gives them a top pick on a particular night so I don’t think they have an issue with something that lasts a season rather than considering if it adds value to a Prime membership and generate more year long subs... the current package may give them a seasonal bump but I’d bet they’d rather lock in a year... I can easily see them maybe upping the stakes and making a play for something regular like one of the Saturday or weekday rounds but maybe not much more than that.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2021, 20:43   #10232
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Not entirely the case - they have picked up a Champions league package in both Italy and Germany... granted it’s only one package but each one is a 16 game package and gives them a top pick on a particular night so I don’t think they have an issue with something that lasts a season rather than considering if it adds value to a Prime membership and generate more year long subs... the current package may give them a seasonal bump but I’d bet they’d rather lock in a year... I can easily see them maybe upping the stakes and making a play for something regular like one of the Saturday or weekday rounds but maybe not much more than that.

Your CL rights are exactly what I said - a concentrated coverage for a short period.

They have already stated that they are not interested in the sort of EPL packages you suggest as it means covering through the season for only 1 game a week which most people would not bother subscribing for - they want maximum impact for their money.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 21:32   #10233
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Your CL rights are exactly what I said - a concentrated coverage for a short period.

They have already stated that they are not interested in the sort of EPL packages you suggest as it means covering through the season for only 1 game a week which most people would not bother subscribing for - they want maximum impact for their money.
I would respectfully disagree.

The 16 game deals they have acquired are not really short bursts - the deals are for one match each round covering the group and knockout stages over what, 7 months or so? Not really a short burst or something played over a couple of weekends but having a first pick game featuring an Italian or german team? That's an attractive benefit to add value to a Prime membership.

And in regards to the EPL, I still believe they will be targeted in their ambition and may well want to stick to their 20 games but IF they did make a play for a weekly game? I don't see anything but upsides - being able to offer a game each round in a Prime membership? How does that not enhance value when persuading someone to sub for a year rather than pay £7.99 for a month?

I have pasted this article here before but it's a really informative interview and gives you a good idea of what Amazon takes into account when in the sports rights market but again it does emphasise that they are looking at what enhances value in a Prime membership - and state it's not a one size fits all approach.

I just don't think it's outside of the realm of impossibility.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 21:55   #10234
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:

The 16 game deals they have acquired are not really short bursts - the deals are for one match each round covering the group and knockout stages over what, 7 months or so? Not really a short burst or something played over a couple of weekends but having a first pick game featuring an Italian or german team? That's an attractive benefit to add value to a Prime membership.

And in regards to the EPL, I still believe they will be targeted in their ambition and may well want to stick to their 20 games but IF they did make a play for a weekly game? I don't see anything but upsides - being able to offer a game each round in a Prime membership? How does that not enhance value when persuading someone to sub for a year rather than pay £7.99 for a month?

I have pasted this article here before but it's a really informative interview and gives you a good idea of what Amazon takes into account when in the sports rights market but again it does emphasise that they are looking at what enhances value in a Prime membership - and state it's not a one size fits all approach.

To be honest it wouldn't entice me to a yearly sub. I might be persuaded to sub for a month if they had an attractive game or two that month but overall I'm more than happy with what Sky and BT are offering. I don't think many fans would be prepared to sub to yet another provider for sport long term.

Last edited by telegramsam; 11-01-2021 at 21:57. Reason: Predicted text error
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:11   #10235
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
I did exactly this with Prime - took month free trial for the Autumn Rugby internationals kept it for an extra month for the football over Xmas then cancelled. Since, cancelling I have received numerous emails from Amazon extolling the virtues of Prime that I will be missing.

Interestingly, this hasn't as yet extended itself to a discounted offer.
Same here, minus the extra month. Cancelled mine within an hour of the ANC final finishing.

I get the reasons why (regular autumn games impossible due Covid etc), but the whole tournament had a slight "tin-pot 6-Nations plus" feel about it IMO - and I wasn't overly impressed with the streaming coverage either.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:02   #10236
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying the CL rights abroad.

I think the reason they don't like the idea of a package offering 1 game a week is a lot of people will say 'ok there are enough games on without paying extra for the Prime game'

As I said they have been quoted some time ago that is their approach - a double bluff - possibly.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Same here, minus the extra month. Cancelled mine within an hour of the ANC final finishing.

I get the reasons why (regular autumn games impossible due Covid etc), but the whole tournament had a slight "tin-pot 6-Nations plus" feel about it IMO - and I wasn't overly impressed with the streaming coverage either.
I quite agree with quality of coverage.

I kept it for an extra month - 20 games of EPL for £7.99 worked for me.

Wouldn't pay £7.99pm over the season if Prime took one of the main packages.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
To be honest it wouldn't entice me to a yearly sub. I might be persuaded to sub for a month if they had an attractive game or two that month but overall I'm more than happy with what Sky and BT are offering. I don't think many fans would be prepared to sub to yet another provider for sport long term.
Exactly my thoughts
Old 31-01-2021, 21:11   #10237
Raider999
cf.mega poster

The biggest series, Ashes apart, starts on Friday and the U.K. tV rights are still not sorted out.

Apparently it is between Channel 4, Sky and BT.

The rights are apparently going for only £20m but even then BBC cannot be bothered or cannot afford to bid.

Currently, it seems Channel 4 are the only ones to have put an actual bid in.

Absolutely ridiculous all round.
Old 31-01-2021, 21:15   #10238
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The biggest series, Ashes apart, starts on Friday and the U.K. tV rights are still not sorted out.

The rights are apparently going for only £20m but even then BBC cannot be bothered or cannot afford to bid.

The latest reports say that C4 are in pole position and that Sky are more interested in snapping up the next Ashes series in Australia.
Old 31-01-2021, 23:26   #10239
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I assume you're talking about the india vs england test series? starts at a decent time too over here of about 4pm in the afternoon so i'd have thought it would be a bit more attractive.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 23:40   #10240
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I thought it started about 4am and finished about midday?

EDIT

I thought wrong

A lot more attractive than the Aussie ashes that it seems Sky are waiting for
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:12   #10241
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I assume you're talking about the india vs england test series? starts at a decent time too over here of about 4pm in the afternoon so i'd have thought it would be a bit more attractive.

3 of the 4 tests start at 4am, the 3rd test is a pink ball day-nighter which would start late morning?

My main point is the rights still haven't been decided and it starts Friday!

Hotstar are looking for £20m (rights include ODI and T20 matches) - only Channel4 have actually bid, but as I understand it their bid is supignificantly lower.

Absolutely unbelievable that BBC have shown no interest.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I thought it started about 4am and finished about midday?

EDIT

I thought wrong - however there is always a lot more interest in Ashes series.

A lot more attractive than the Aussie ashes that it seems Sky are waiting for
No you are correct. The only cricket that start late afternoon are matches in the West Indies

Ashes series always attract a lot more interest.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:50   #10242
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Channel 4 wins rights for England's Test cricket tour of India.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-tour-of-india

Quote:
The Guardian understands that global rights holders Star Sports and Channel 4 have agreed a contract for the live broadcast of the entire tour – four Tests, five Twenty20s and three one-day internationals – with an announcement due soon before the first Test in Chennai on Friday.
Old 02-02-2021, 16:54   #10243
denphone
Still alive and fighting

French football TV auction rights crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rice-ligue-1-2

Quote:
Results of the auction were revealed on Monday night, after three bidders – Amazon, Discovery and DAZN – submitted offers that failed to match the reserve price sought by the LFP.
Old 02-02-2021, 17:36   #10244
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Shows that they’re in there trying to get scraps but no rush to pay top dollar.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 17:39   #10245
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Shows that they’re in there trying to get scraps but no rush to pay top dollar.
Exactly and this confirms it.