Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream traffic management scrapped

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream traffic management scrapped

Old 24-05-2018, 20:04   #16
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Upstream traffic management scrapped

I think he meant 6 x on lowest tiers compared to Virgins lowest tiers.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2018, 20:46   #17
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I think he meant 6 x on lowest tiers compared to Virgins lowest tiers.
If 6x the upload at entry level, Sky, BT etc. would be offering a 10Mb connection with 18Mb to 36Mb upload

Entry level - Virgin 3Mb to 6Mb, Sky 0.7Mb
Mid tier - Virgin 12Mb, Sky 9Mb
Top tier - Virgin 21Mb, Sky 18Mb
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 20:59   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
well they are continuously moving in the direction with capacity upgrades, speed upgrades and stm removal so who knows, maybe upload speed increase will be next and everyone will be realigned to 10:1. It would make sense once everyone is on 4 upstreams running qam64.
I don't think I will ever see qam64 because I have never had it on 2 upstreams.
Old 12-06-2018, 17:44   #19
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08

Perfect timing! Now to upload 4.5TB of data to Backblaze.. will only take 45 days now!
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 10:40   #20
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Any whisperings about an upload increase?

Can't imagine Virgin are adding more channels for shits and giggles
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 11:23   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It will be to provide the extra capacity required for when they announce the docsis 3.1 rollout later this year and a 500/35 tier
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:58   #22
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

500 seems a bit unnecessary, but 35 would be nice, shame they don't let you pick and choose the up/downstream speeds.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 18:43   #23
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Nothing is ever unnecessary in the name of advancement.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 21:11   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
500 seems a bit unnecessary, but 35 would be nice, shame they don't let you pick and choose the up/downstream speeds.
it is only unneccessary if they offer a speed which you cant really benefit from but I think these days most people will be pleasantly surprised. I like to get things downloaded asap even if it means my connection being idle 99% of the time and I love Steam purely for the speed when I get a new game. I would love to have 500mbits now just to see what Steam gives me.
Old 15-06-2018, 23:04   #25
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

I'd take 500 in a heartbeat if it went up on sale anytime soon having stuff download faster would be great.
Old 16-06-2018, 00:38   #26
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

I'd take proper gigabit any day of the week. It's laughable that we pay a relative fortune here for a couple of hundred megs, and my friends and colleagues in Romania pay €9 a month for unmetered symmetrical gigabit FTTP. By the time VM do roll out gigabit (let alone with any kind of decent upstream) it's going to be mainstream and 'meh' already, a bit like being told you qualify for 100Mbps today. Hopefully DOCSIS 3.1 rolling out lets them run away a little bit, rather than miserly stringing out the incremental updates.

In the meantime at least, I can finally say our local nodes are getting to where they should have been all along. I get the advertised speeds almost all the time (sometimes with troughs between 9pm and 11pm), and now the STM and upload caps / NNTP and other protocol throttling has gone, miraculously my VPN speed cap issues that are definitely-nothing-to-do-with-us-Sir have disappeared at exactly the same time. Funny, that.
Old 16-06-2018, 09:58   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
Hopefully DOCSIS 3.1 rolling out lets them run away a little bit, rather than miserly stringing out the incremental updates.
The problem is that unless you are one of the relatively few that can have fttp atm, nobody who is serviced by Openreach can come close to VM's speeds so as far as VM are concerned they are well ahead of the game. The most I can get through fttc is 53/13 yet I am on 400/20 with VM. Although you can argue it is the wrong attitude, there is such a difference between the tiers already that I am sure VM would look at it as they have already pulled all the customers who want the fastest speed so increasing it to 500, 750 or 1gbit atm is only going to cost more without providing any extra revenue.
Old 16-06-2018, 12:05   #28
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
I'd take 500 in a heartbeat if it went up on sale anytime soon having stuff download faster would be great.

I used to be like you many years ago back in my dark ages but then as life goes i realised i had different priorities, so when the speed hit 100mbit i was happy with that especially now i don't really need to download much as i stream most of my stuff using Kodi Amazon Prime or Netflix, but IF the monthly cost really didn't matter to me and i didn't need to save that money for the future i would agree and get the fastest possible even if i didn't need it really.
Old 16-06-2018, 12:10   #29
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

I only pay £41 for 350 so it's not a burden on me.
Old 16-06-2018, 12:31   #30
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
I only pay £41 for 350 so it's not a burden on me.

My point being though is you're only 20 so in the future your priorities could easily change and i am sure you would have a financial limit of how high you would go before you think to yourself i should really be doing something else with this money and i can easily make do with xxx speed.