Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Failure to get Netgear WGT634U router installed for NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Failure to get Netgear WGT634U router installed for NTL

Old 14-08-2005, 13:37   #1
airhead
Inactive

airhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Failure to get Netgear WGT634U router installed for NTL

Hi everyone.

My first post here so I hope I follow forum etiquette. I am sure that variants on my problem will have been posted countless times before but I haven't yet found an answer which gives me the information I need.

I have just bought a refurbished WGT634U wireless router and have been pulling my hair out over the past couple of days trying and failing to install it to work with my relatively new Acer laptop (Windows XP) and NTL broadband.

Note:

a) broadband already works with my laptop connected to my NTL modem with an Ethernet cable.

b) I can access the router on 192.168.1.1

c) I follow the set-up instructions slavishly (eg the sequence of powering up the modem, router, and laptop)

Here's the sequence of installation steps:

1) Firmware Upgrade Assistant

Q: New Firmware?

A: No

2) Setup Wizard

Q: Smart Setup Wizard?

A: Yes

3) Setup Wizard - you already have a valid Internet Connection

Q: Continue?

A: Yes

4) Dynamic IP detected

I have done various things at this point. I have put in what I believe is my NTL account name and the domain name ntlworld.com, I have put in what I believe is my NTL account name without a domain name, I have not put in neither the NTL account name nor the domain name. In all cases I get the Page cannot be displayed Internet page and thus progress no further in the installation.

I have tried other variants. It has been suggested that Netgear Setup Wizards can sometimes fail to work. It certainly doesn't in my case. Therefore, I have gone for manual configuration and the sequence of installation steps has been:

Basic Setting

Q: Does your Internet Connection require A login

A: No

After this point I have tried to proceed with and without an account name and a domain name. In relation to the IP address I have tried both Get Dynamically and used the IP address I could get from ipconfig in Command Prompt mode, for DNS I have tried both Get Automatically, used the default DNS addresses that are filled in, and tried to enter IP addresses I get when using tracert www.ntlworld.com in Command Prompt mode (I have no idea if this last approach is correct). For the Router MAC address I have tried both Default and the MAC address of my NTL modem.

One thing which might be of particular help is any comment whether I am entering any wrong information, eg account name, domain name, IP address, DNS addresses, MAC address, etc. For example, if I put ipconfig/all in Command Prompt mode, I get an IP address, DNS addresses, a default gateway address, and various MAC addresses. What information should I be using?

I have already contacted NTL. They say it's not their problem. (Don't blame them to be honest.) I have posted this same question on the Netgear forums and am also contacting Netgear by email for their help (since this is a refurbished product they do not provide telephone support.)

If you do reply, please note that I'm a complete novice at this and any apparent knowledge in the above spiel is purely an illusion.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

airhead

airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2005, 13:56   #2
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: Failure to get Netgear WGT634U router installed for NTL

Not used Netgear, but I'm not sure why/where you are putting in domain names, account names, etc. Normally, the default settings should work. Connect router WAN/Internet/Broadband (whatever it is labelled) port into cable modem. Connect laptop to one of the LAN ports (initially - get it working 'wired', then worry about wireless). You shouldn't need to change the MAC address of the router, but if you do, it must NOT be the same as the cable modem. The router should be set to obtain IP address and DNS address automatically (from the NTL side), and to act as a DHCP server (for the LAN side). Your laptop should be set to obtain IP address and DNS address automatically (from the router). Then, as you are prbably already doing, power on modem. Wait. Power on router. Wait. Power on PC. wait.
Old 14-08-2005, 15:34   #3
airhead
Inactive

Thanks for your comments.
I'm putting in the account name and the domain name because the Netgear set-up procedure requests them. In any case, the installation doesn't work whether they are included or not.
Unfortunately, despite numerous tries, the default settings do not work.
I have connected (with Ethernet cables) the router into the cable modem and connected the laptop to one of the LAN ports of the router. I have then followed the powering up sequence specified in the installation guide. However, this does not give any joy.
Since the default mode of installation simply does not work, I think my best chance of getting the router installed is manually including the relevant information, eg various addresses, but I am not sure how to get the right information.
Old 14-08-2005, 15:58   #4
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

OK. Had a look at the manual for your router. The correct settings are:-
ISP does not require login
Account name and domain name are not required
Internet IP address - get dynamically
DNS Address - get automatically
Router MAC addrss - use default.
Test

If this doesn't work, I'd say there is a problem somewhere - bad cable? Bad cable connection? Putting in IP addresses etc manually is a bad idea, as the IP address you get from NTL is leased for a limited period. If you set to 'obtain dynamically', the router will renew the address as required. If you put it in manually, the lease will expire at some point.
Old 14-08-2005, 17:02   #5
airhead
Inactive

Thanks for the additional comments. I have tried settings for getting addresses automatically/dynamically and it just doesn't work.
The cable is unlikely to be a problem. I have two Ethernet cables both of which work for a wired broadband connection and I have no luck whatever the configuration I try. If I can get a wired connection, I am not convinced that the problem is a dodgy connection.
My fault for buying a refurbished router I suppose.
Old 14-08-2005, 17:30   #6
mick70
Inactive

Services: 2 mb
mick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enough

Maybe you could buy a new router, swap it for the dodgy one, then take back the dodgy one for a refund.......
mick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:16   #7
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

ive bought this router and had this trouble; when you say no to require login, i only put in my ntl username under domain name and kept rest set to auto and it worked fine.

my problem is i cant get the wireless pci card i got with it to connect to network from pc downstairs. wont even see the network.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 18:49   #8
hcaz
Inactive

hcaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a WGT634U router and it wont let me conect to it to change the settings and i have reset to the default access many times and nothing
plese help
hcaz is offline   Reply With Quote