Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky announces Now TV set-top box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky announces Now TV set-top box

Old 26-07-2013, 13:14   #16
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Sky announces Now TV set-top box

"Do I need a Roku account to access other apps?

When using your NOW TV Box, you do not need to set up a Roku account to access apps in the Roku Channel Store. A Roku account is only required if you use a Roku box."

http://help.nowtv.com/HelpArticle?id...20TV%20Box%7C1

Mind you I will most likely set up a Roku account to get the full benefit. I suspect though that the amount of Roku apps you can install will be very limited.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2013, 14:18   #17
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
"Do I need a Roku account to access other apps?

When using your NOW TV Box, you do not need to set up a Roku account to access apps in the Roku Channel Store. A Roku account is only required if you use a Roku box."

http://help.nowtv.com/HelpArticle?id...20TV%20Box%7C1

Mind you I will most likely set up a Roku account to get the full benefit. I suspect though that the amount of Roku apps you can install will be very limited.
I love it when quotes on websites contradict themselves lol I think you will get full access to Roku content even though its limited anyway( ok read more I am wrong think it will need flashing)

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

with a bit of luck this will work http://www.mediafly.com/resources/ho...l-for-testing/
Old 26-07-2013, 20:32   #18
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Ordered I love gadgets
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 20:45   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
don't think it sell much with sky sports being £9.99 a day on there ect
50,000 day pass sales in 3 months according to the link below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...redirect=false
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 21:07   #20
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Here is a review of the NOW TV box

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/0...by-sky-review/

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
50,000 day pass sales in 3 months according to the link below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...redirect=false
Few rumours doing the rounds on boxing forums that Fury Vs. Haye on SKY Box Office will be accessible via Now TV.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 21:08   #21
tizmeinnit

Just got my despatch notice
Old 26-07-2013, 21:23   #22
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Few rumours doing the rounds on boxing forums that Fury Vs. Haye on SKY Box Office will be accessible via Now TV.
Pretty much as I expected , locked down it will be interesting to see what gets added and how they develop the Now TV service.
Old 26-07-2013, 21:59   #23
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
Just got my despatch notice
pah! I wish I had.
Old 26-07-2013, 22:01   #24
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

that shows there is access to the hidden menu which means you should be able to side load apps. I hope that devs will take the job on and either this device will be flashed to a stock Roku or apps will simply be sideloaded

I imagine within a few weeks we will see ways of making better use of this
Old 26-07-2013, 22:03   #25
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Once you guys have posted what its like i might get one if any good
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 22:39   #26
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Walk through of Now TV Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N95mPo84Mk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTEJvdsc20

Basically the normal Roku UI with Now TV branding however no Netflix like the Roku.
Old 29-07-2013, 00:41   #27
tizmeinnit

well info on some sites are starting to show Dev mode is available which means in theory side loading should be possible. I have sourced a Plex zip to try when mine arrives which will certainly be a good start. In theory is should be relatively easy to build your own Netflix channel ( if you have a clue I do not lol ) so hopefully there will be access to files
Old 29-07-2013, 10:27   #28
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I've had a despatch notice now - yay
Old 29-07-2013, 10:52   #29
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
I've had a despatch notice now - yay
the tracking on mine says they know it is being sent but they do not have it yet and that is since Friday
Old 29-07-2013, 11:06   #30
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

The tracking number doesn't work at all on the royal mail site but to be honest I've had that before.

I'll just be happy when it gets here - I can be patient, a little that is